BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its 0820 and the roads are dry up here in Seattle. I am heading out to Carnation then up north to Arlington and LaConner. Anyone who wants to join can leave a message on my cell and I will wait at Starbucks Carnation. This will be my maiden voyage on my new K12S!! Bong 206 349-5836

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, put on the first 186 miles today and am amazed at how smooth the engine is. Rode mostly twisty side roads, lot's of debris from our windstorm yesterday. First impression is the bike is harder to initiate turns compared to my MTS but very stable. Windscreen is decent but my helmet gets buffeting, I have an MRA vario touring screen on the way. Engine is strong, very strong! Will have to watch my speeds as it is too easy to get above posted speed limits. Am really happy with the decision to purchase the K. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
New s

Bong are you riding that rocket on the spring ride ?
I rode yesterday morning early when it was pretty cold.
I have been sitting on the S at the dealer ( black/yellow ) if I had the money I might be tempted . Good luck on that rocket . It will be interesting to see how comfortable it is on LONNNNG rides. ey did you try the ESA ?
I hear it is awesome !

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it will be well broken in by then. The ESA really works, pretty amazing technology for a bike. I know it will cost an arm and a leg when time to replace, but seems well worth the money right now. Am hoping the new screen will calm the helmet buffeting, especially on longer rides. You are welcome to ride it when we meet for our pre-ride discussion next week. Although you may have to hop down to your local dealer afterwards :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Bong,

Good to hear you're a happy camper.

Did you get the hard bags? Reason I ask is if not I'll let you borrow mine for the trip. I'll be on the GS so they won't be needed.

I removed the steering damper on my S and the steering lightened up considerably. Since the bike is so long you won't ever need it.

I know my way around the bike pretty well as far as getting the side panels on/off without breaking anything so if you want to tinker with some stuff and would like some help let me know.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the offer Mark, I did get the side cases...and I would like some tips on getting the bodywork off. I plan on painting the fron fairing, and also need to find a place for an auxillary fuse block since there isn't much space under the seat. And how do you get the side cases to expand? (I don't have any of the manuals yet)

·
Registered
403 Posts
They are a little tricky.

You just have to play with them. Open the case and grip the buckle and kind of flex them against the pre-curved arc while pulling out on the strap and they will extend. The internal catch will release and the strap will slide out.

You are welcome to ride out to my house any time and I will help you with the panels. They are not hard but again its trial and error. You'll need Torx which I have.

Maybe we can get together on Saturday to tinker with it or even better go for a K12S ride. I live in Lakewood but could met you anywhere. Have you ridden to Mt. St. Helens before?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saturday sounds good for a ride, I don't think FR25 will be open this time of year. Maybe the west side? How early can you go?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I usually go SR 504 to Johnston Ridge. The lower part of the road is open but I'm not sure if you can go to the Johnston Ridge Observatory this time of year.

I can leave early if you want.

Edit: I just checked and you can get to within 7 miles of the summit at Johnston Ridge on SR 504. If you've never done it, it's rated as the number 2 road in the state by Destination Highways. It was built by the Feds after the eruption and it's the ideal K12s road. In other words, it's wide, fast and smooth.

Or I'm up for any other route that you have in mind.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm game, 0730 at the Krispy Kreme Tacoma Mall. Do you mind other riders coming along? There are a couple other K owners in the area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts