BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 6:00 p.m. pacific time, I received a call from a guy who spoke perfect english, but with a distinct German accent. Said he was conducting a survey on the K1200S.

He also said he was calling from Hamburg, German. After the exhaustive (must have been 100 questions on the bike, the dealer, BMW, the motorcycle industry) I figured it must have been Three-In-The-Morning in Germany.

Has anybody else gotten a phone call from this chap in the wee hours from Hamburg. Was it really Hamburg?

In the end, his only surprise (o.k., two surprises on his part) was when he asked my age! Long pause after me saying 66. He also asked what cars we owned. He was really surprised when I reported just one in the family and said most everybody he's talked with in the U.S. have two or more cars. Sterotyping? Or fact.

Well, that had to be the most interesting experience for a phone survey for me. Sure beats J.D. Powers. <g?

Miles

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi Miles,

I also received a call reference the survey for the K1200S. The first question the female german interviewer asked was if I was employed by anyone associated with BMW. Since I am, she was unable to proceed with the survey. She advised it was 4:00 am in Germany.
It was. Aparently BMW did not trust the results of the last American company who did the initial survey. Interesting!

I trust there will be owners who will inform the fatherland of the notchy/clunky trans and the inadequate clutch.

Can't wait to see the GT pics from Milan. May have to have one of those, too, but not unless they've worked out the above.

Regards,

Motorman

·
Registered
144 Posts
Written survey

I haven't received a phone call, BUT I did get a lengthy BMW survey in the mail about the K12S. 3 pages long, but mostly generic questions.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeh, wife got a call from a guy in "Germany" tonight while I was away. She didn't get who he was from and I wasn't expecting a call from Germany so you guys have filled in the blanks. If he calls back tomorrow night I'll let you know "what's up", assuming it's Beemer related.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Had a similar (lengthy) call from what I took to be a marketing research chap from BMW a month or so ago. Certainly sounded as if from a call centre environment, but not a German accent.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know, sometimes you get the feeling phone calls like this are part of some kind of scam or fraudulent in some way. It's nice that some of you were on the receivng end of those 3:00 a.m. phone calls from Germany.

And yes, where the opportunity presented itself during this long (for a survey) call; it lasted exactly twenty minutes, I hammered home the issue with the lower gears, low speed fueling and even mentioned the heavy low speed steering and weaving issues some have reported, but admitted not to having the weaving problem per-se.

Maybe I should have asked some probing questions about who the guy worked for and why the interview was taking place at this god-awful hour in Germany, but I wasn't quick enough on my feet to ask for this information.

In retrospect, I'm still very surprised this survey originated from Germany and not Woodcliff, N.J. ( BMWUSA). Maybe they want to get a universal input from a global perspective on the bike; or maybe Munich is concerned about market penetration in North America.

If this was the beginning of this marketing (survey) effort, it would be nice to hear from others who have done the survey.

Miles

·
Registered
261 Posts
Call

I made it clear, in every question that it pertained to, about the transmission and low speed weaving. We had a brief conversation after the car question as he was surprised I drive a VW R32, which he was very familiar with. He was also surprised at my age, 61.

·
Registered
212 Posts
phone call

got our call last night same as most of the post like Miles long pause after my age 67 suprised at more tham one bike and one rider plus corvette,silverado truck and trailblazer
also suprised that i would like to have cruise control like my k1200rs has

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got the call last night. Apparantly they were quite busy last night.
He was surprised when I explained that I'd also completed a printed survey with the same questions.

I was told that it was BMW from Germany, but my caller had a distinct Indian accent.

I believe that it was actually from a call center somewhere in India. This is a common practice with American credit card companies.

My favorite question:

What motorcycle were you considering at the time of your purchase?

Suzuki Hayabusa

If not for the BMW K1200S would you have bought the Hayabusa?

Yes

Franklin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Call From Hamburg

I too got the call from Hamburg last night. Good thing I had a few pints in me because it took about 35 minutes or so. All of the same questions you described were asked. I was annoyed when they could not find my 93 volvo 940 turbo in their computer. Seems nobody drives old cars so they take them out of their computer. I originally thought the phone call was sketchy and kept asking if the woman was calling from India, because she was mispronouncing words. She asssured me that she was calling from Germany and spoke some of her native tongue to put me at ease. Dankeshein ( my spelling is terrible)
The only real complaint I had was the stock seat. I have since installed the Corbin replacement and I am enjoying it.

The survey would have been better if one of their engineers could have called on lunch break.

That is all.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Survey

Well, glad to hear I wasn't the only one who spent 20 minutes with this fellow from Hamburg.
LOTS of questions, and yes, I hammered home the few quirks I've noticed over the past 6 months. I initially got the call just before dinner and I asked for him to call back...and lo and behold, he DID, 3 hours later.
Let's hope BMW AG takes these comments seriously.
Pete
'05 S Granite Gray (of course)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I got the same call from a woman with a german accent, she called while I was cooking dinner and then when requested called back about 8p.

Was a lengthy survey although I only complained about the seat--- if Sargent can make a seat that is comfy and you can move around on to hang off, BMW ought to be able to also.
I have no weave or transmission problems and am otherwise pretty thrilled with the bike.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
"Wait'll they get a load a me!!.. ".. the Joker

You know.. it's funny... I posted that I didn't like my S at first but now, after putting on a few miles in the saddle and getting used to the roughness of the engine and turn-in.. I am actually starting to like the bike..I am starting to become a believer...

... but with time I notice more and more boneheaded design features that REALLY piss me off...and I will NOT go quietly into the night. Was going to make a public post this week directed at the BMW designers (as we know they do frequent these chat sites) asking for explanations...insight into the German mind. Guess if they are going to call me I can unload on them mano y mano... I pity the BMW rep that gets ME on the phone..

I don't mean to go off on a rant here... but today it's going to be up in the high 40's here in Asheville and I probably will NOT be riding simply because I can NOT plug my Widder electric vest into the accessory socket on the bike.. Have used this vest for years on my last BMW. but everyone teels me the new bike will not power via the accessory socket. Yes.. I could purchase a direct cord and run it to the battery... but I should NOT have to .. I don't want no stinkin' cord stretched from the front of my tank..
Isn't anyone else upset about these "little" issues? This is simply unforgivable.

Guess I'll just store the bike for a while... Doh!... I forgot.. I can't plug my battery tender into the accessory socket either..!!! I am pissed and I'd like an explanation from BMW. This shows total disregard for the American populace and our needs. It's not like they didn't think of these issues.. they just didn't even attempt to accommodate us.. by choice..

I look forward to my call from the motherland...In the mean time.. guess I'll try to find someone in the area that has the time to rewire a new accessory socket to the battery so I can actually use my accessories. Geeezzz..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got a call a few weeks back, German female with accent. Started asking questions about whether I worked for an affiliate BWM Co, etc.....

Then told me she would have to call me right back, and never did.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Pirate said:
I am pissed and I'd like an explanation from BMW. This shows total disregard for the American populace and our needs
Oh yes - those wicked Germans! Do totally disregard the needs of the American nation (represented by you) :(

I'm not from BMW, but what are your needs (or the American populace)?? Obviously there *is* a reason for the 12V socket to be switched off. Think about persons that like to steal your bike. Would it be a good idea to offer them power for their tools (drill machine, angle grinder)?

If this damned socket is the only thing you are complaining about ...

Manfred

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes... I Am an American Motorcyclist

OK Manfred.. Obviously you are more enlightened.. Please explain it to those of us with minds less bound by the parameters of German logic and/or perfection why virtually no aftermarket accessories will work when plugged into into the accessory socket.. Your idea that they did it this way to slow down a thief is lame.. Surely you don't believe that?

as for other things to complain about? I guessed you missed my initial post... Don't get me started again...

I wouldn't say the Germans totally disregard our needs.. They just blatantly disregard some important and OBVIOUS ones.

and BTW.. Yes.. I would say I do represent the majority of Americans... Got a problem with that, bucko?

ManfredH said:
Oh yes - those wicked Germans! Do totally disregard the needs of the American nation (represented by you) :(

I'm not from BMW, but what are your needs (or the American populace)?? Obviously there *is* a reason for the 12V socket to be switched off. Think about persons that like to steal your bike. Would it be a good idea to offer them power for their tools (drill machine, angle grinder)?

If this damned socket is the only thing you are complaining about ...

Manfred

·
Registered
768 Posts
Pirate said:
OK Manfred.. Obviously you are more enlightened.. Please explain it to those of us with minds less bound by the parameters of German logic and/or perfection why virtually no aftermarket accessories will work when plugged into into the accessory socket.. Your idea that they did it this way to slow down a thief is lame.. Surely you don't believe that?

as for other things to complain about? I guessed you missed my initial post... Don't get me started again...

I wouldn't say the Germans totally disregard our needs.. They just blatantly disregard some important and OBVIOUS ones.

and BTW.. Yes.. I would say I do represent the majority of Americans... Got a problem with that, bucko?
In the interest of American/European relations.... I sit on the sidelines waiting for the response......

I am a naturalized American, born in Wales, raised in England..... so I alway recall the definition of German engineering......

"They write the specs and then throw their brains away".

Perhaps we have some of this, it meets the specs going on here. Just the specs were targeted at Europe a little more..... Come to think of it, maybe that's why we like them.... -;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Jerry,

I essentially agree with you about the power outlet, but I think you are over generally overreacting. The only way you'll be satisfied is if you designed the entire bike yourself. Then others, to be sure, would be dissatisfied. You've made a business out of imperfections. Be happy.

By the way, my Gerbing electric jacket liner works fine plugged into the power outlet.

Ken

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.