BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change out my stock shield for a larger aftermarket one I picked up.

Any hints on removal or replacement? Any trick?. Looks as if the pins that hold the shield just press out. Am I correct on that?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Shiro said:
I am going to change out my stock shield for a larger aftermarket one I picked up.

Any hints on removal or replacement? Any trick?. Looks as if the pins that hold the shield just press out. Am I correct on that?

Thanks
RS or GT???
On a RS the pins pop free. A GT has a little pin in the center of the locating pin that first has to be pushed back before you can push in the edges of the locating pin.
After the locating pins are released. You can grab them with a pair of diagonal pliers and roll the pin out. They should be replaced after a few removal cycles.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, GT

thanks

Looks as if I need to buy some replacement pins as they're one time only;

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Shiro said:
Sorry, GT

thanks

I wonder if RS pins are the same length??? You can get several popouts from one until the end starts to chip.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
Shiro said:
Sorry, GT

thanks

Unless the pins are really worn, you should not have to replace them. When, I had my 2002 KRS, I swapped windshileds twice a year for 5 years and never had a problem, and the windshield always stayed in the corect position even at 100mph.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any tricks on popping the pins. I am not sure I follow: pushing in the center pin and then "pushing in the edges of the locating pin."

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
The stock screen also has off-set inserts (bushings - black) in the windscreen tabs, so be carefull when you get the pins out and the windscreen moves away from the mounts. Those little suckers jump for freedom at the drop of a hat, and know exactly where to hide where you can't get to them.

The center pins inside the locating pins can be coaxed out with a tiny punch or screw driver. If you look at the locating pin, you can see four slits on one side. That's the part that expands when the center pin is set. Push the center pin out the other way, almost a half inch, and the locating pin can then be pushed out in the same direction.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Razel said:
The stock screen also has off-set inserts (bushings - black) in the windscreen tabs, so be carefull when you get the pins out and the windscreen moves away from the mounts. Those little suckers jump for freedom at the drop of a hat, and know exactly where to hide where you can't get to them.

The center pins inside the locating pins can be coaxed out with a tiny punch or screw driver. If you look at the locating pin, you can see four slits on one side. That's the part that expands when the center pin is set. Push the center pin out the other way, almost a half inch, and the locating pin can then be pushed out in the same direction.
Spot On!

I rode with a comfort screen for a while putting up with the thing rattling when I went over bumps. Then when I switched back to the stock height screen I discovered the black insert bushes which make the pegs a nice tight fit.

I find a small 1/4" socket the right size to squeeze the pegs from one side. One day I keep meaning to turn up a smarter taper or stepped removal tool. Or I might throw away the plastic pegs and use a stainless version with a split pin at the back. I had a (broken) plastic peg come out once.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts