BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I just removed the ABS of my 2006 K1200S. ABS failed like many others in this forum. Decided not to give my money to BMW, and instead took out the ABS and now have a fully functional bike with brakes, but no ABS. Have already put 300 miles on it, and so far, so good. Except for the bloody blinking brake failure light and red triangle. Does anyone know how to make this stop? Can the computer be "fooled" so it stops detecting the lack of ABS? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for feedback/support.

Best regards, WADO.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you keep the electronic part of the ABS so your speedo works?
There is an ABS status relay that indicates the fault. I believe you can wire that to be always on to remove the fault.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The ABS was non functional when I bought my '08, and the PO had put a piece of tape over the indicator lights, so the selling dealer did not even know about the problem, which I soon discovered, and became a warranty situation.

The local BMW dealer would only replace with a factory module, but then both the selling dealer and myself would have lost money.

The selling dealer, the local BMW dealer and myself worked together to make a suitable deal.

BMW removed the module during the airbox recall and 20K service. I sent the module to "Module Master" in Idaho, for a full rebuild (with 5 yr warranty) and BMW reinstalled, and selling dealer warranty picked up the tab.

Module rebuild is only $250, BMW covered the airbox recall, and I paid for the 20K service

·
Registered
82 Posts
Whatever solution you read, it will always involve having the brake failure light on. When the pump fails, the computer will always spit out the error. There is no quick fix, homebuild or do-it-yourself solution. RH-Electronics created a "dummy plate", and that will stop the lights flashing and your speedo will work too (speed signal is measured through the abs).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your responses comport with what I've read on the K1200S but some have cut an ABS-W wire on older models with some luck. I wasn't sure if there was an option to do that on the K1200S or not. I'm also curious if anyone has dug into the dash and disconnected/deleted/hulk smashed/hidden the dummy light. That was going to be my weekend project but didn't want to recreate the wheel or discover it's a failed venture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Patrique83. Is RH-Electronics located in Oceanside CA? Do you have a part description or part number?

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
406 Posts
Racer, the 2006 ABS unit and the 2008 unit are way different. Look up servo brakes, 2002-2006 and you will find some interesting stuff. This is the reason those year bikes sell cheaper. The module OEM BMW costs about 2200$ plus installation for one of the servo units. And then you still have Servo brakes with all their glory. Rebuild with freight from Germany is about 1100$. I understand there is a shop in the UK that also repairs them. Someone on the European K bike site can help with that. The bypass plate from the German outfit is a good way to go. 699 Euro about 789$ then subtract 19% VAT you are about 630$, with postage you will be under $700 total with fresh electronics to run all duties and a slick bypass panel.
https://shop.rhelectronics.de/shop/produkt/motorrad/second-life-kit/rh-second-life-kit/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts