BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
What kind of question is that? Mineral Oil? I use that on my old joints. Besides, with a name like Sucati...it could only mean one thing...You only have a jap bike! Right?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Syn Oil

Rookie;
I am not sure about the "mineral oil" part, but I have recently (18K mile service) converted from petro based oil to synthetic in an attempt to reduce/eliminate clutch squeal.
As a background, the noise was first detected and noted at the 600 mile service and got progressively worse until BMW (at my dealer's insistence) finally (at 16K miles) agreed to replace clutch basket assembly and misc hardware even though my 07 had the newly redesigned assembly installed. Wear in the basket area and on various hardware pieces were noted. After the replacement work the squeal ceased.
However, after about 1K miles it began again and was noticeably increasing in audibility. With the conversion to synthetic oil, the noise has been greatly reduce, but still present. My intent is to monitor this condition until the next oil change and determine what action will be required. At this point my opinion is that the input shaft needs to be reworked per the factory's direction for the 06 and early 07 models in order to improve lubrication.
More to follow.
Good luck to you in your querying.
EJ

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i believe they are discussing the fluid in the reservoir in the hydraulic clutch. not the oil shared by the wet clutch and motor.

the question that the original person who started the thread......is there an optional synthetic mineral oil or is the one from A&S the only fluid that should be used? i have a k12r 05 oct build and i did my 12k scheduled maintenance. A&S said that it still doesn't need to be changed. they even the brake fluid and clutch fluid doesn't need to be changed for 4 years.

·
Registered
650 Posts
erniejen said:
Rookie;
I am not sure about the "mineral oil" part, but I have recently (18K mile service) converted from petro based oil to synthetic in an attempt to reduce/eliminate clutch squeal.
As a background, the noise was first detected and noted at the 600 mile service and got progressively worse until BMW (at my dealer's insistence) finally (at 16K miles) agreed to replace clutch basket assembly and misc hardware even though my 07 had the newly redesigned assembly installed. Wear in the basket area and on various hardware pieces were noted. After the replacement work the squeal ceased.
However, after about 1K miles it began again and was noticeably increasing in audibility. With the conversion to synthetic oil, the noise has been greatly reduce, but still present. My intent is to monitor this condition until the next oil change and determine what action will be required. At this point my opinion is that the input shaft needs to be reworked per the factory's direction for the 06 and early 07 models in order to improve lubrication.
More to follow.
Good luck to you in your querying.
EJ
I had the larger oil nozzle work done on my 06 and while the noise is largely reduced its still there if i have to start off on a hill or if i have the minister for war on the back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts