BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
back from vacation in germany. besides the mandatory trip to the nurburgring, i went to the BMW stealership to get a new 'system helm 5'. guess what ? the manual states very explicitly: do NOT use the helmet in the US. the helmet is made by schuberth. not as if they wont have the resources to get the helmet legalized here. coincidentally however, schuberth helmets are no longer available in the US either.
anybody got the full story whats up with that ?

ended up NOT buying the helmet, which is a real shame. it was on sale for euro 325 ....

cheers !

·
Maestro de Turismo
406 Posts
No BMW helmets - it's called LAWYERS and sue-happy America.

The sale of a few hundred BMW helmets a year does not justify the risk and legal exposure that they would face in the US. They sell more bikes and helmets in a mid-size country like Spain than they do in the US - with no hassle or fuss from the lawyers and no need to meet another safety standard (DOT/Snell). Just not worth the hassle.

You could still buy the helmet and use it in the USA - the only way you would have a problem is if you ran into a cop who knew the helmet was not DOT certified (limited chance of that happening).

·
Registered
242 Posts
grifscoots said:
In all my years of riding, I've never had a cop question the legality of a helmet, nor look for DOT/Snell stickers.
Look at the cereal bowls some HD riders wear on their heads and know for the most part that cops don't enforce helmet standards.

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
K12R said:
Look at the cereal bowls some HD riders wear on their heads and know for the most part that cops don't enforce helmet standards.
I really believe that ATGATT plays a big part in the way LEO's interface with us. They have been much easier going with me in the full suit and helmet than back in my jeans, leather vest and long hair days.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
I have been using the BMW system 4 for 3 years now. I have been stopped at a checkpoint and the bike was looked at for the inspection sticker and all the legal lights. I had my license, registration, and insurance looked. No one even though to look at my helmet for a DOT sticker. I always wear my gear ATGATT, so I do look like a biker even if I am not.

The hardest problem is getting replacement visors. I usually get them when I am in Europe or Canada or have someone bring or send them to me.

If the helmet does ever break, I guess it will be toast.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Look at the Sierra BMW site. They show the Schuberth S1 XL model as available as of March 12, 2008 as well as the shields. They may be overstocks? :confused:

Helmet link to Sierra BMW

I believe the U.S. distributor in LA went belly up a year or two ago. Schuberth now shows this U.S.A. distributor on their Schuberth (Importers) website:

Riders' Accessory Distributing, LLC
546 Walker Street
Watsonville, CA, 95076
Phone: 1 831 722 0300
or 1 866 579 HELM (4356) Toll Free
Fax: +1 831 722 0400
E-Mail: [email protected]
www.r-a-d.com

Mack

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm actually less concerned about the leo's using a helmet without DOT or SNELL approval. I'm more concerned about insurance issues. what happens if i go down and the insurance finds out i'm wearing a helmet that has been specifically excluded from the use in the US....
guess the multitec is the better choice then.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
I'm too lazy to go get the exact wording, but the basic gist is that it's illegal to sell a non-DOT-stickered helmet. Once you take possession, you can take the DOT sticker off. Kind of like that furniture notice that says it's illegal to remove that notice (except by the final consumer).

It may be a state-by-state issue, but I know in California, once you've purchased the helmet, you're good. Bringing one home from Germany, if it fits, isn't going to be an issue.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts