BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Question:

I have a K75S that I'm in the process of restoring, and I'm looking to fix up the tail pipe cover plate (pictured above). As you can see, it is kind of dicked up (fading, knicks, scratches, rust-like brown material, etc). What do you think is my best, price effective, option to fix this thing up?

I am trying to avoid just powder coating it, as that would cost a bit more than I'm looking to spend. Any ideas? Does a high-heat can of black spray paint exist that would be able to handle the heat from the tail pipe? If so, what kind of prep work would I need to do before I laid down something like that. Just one idea....

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

S

·
0 Posts
If you're restoring a bike, why waste the time with cheap high temp paint? That part is not very large anyway and it could be ceramic coated very reasonably... even the cost of V8 headers inside/out is far more demanding than that part and they're reasonable. Call JetHot or another, send them a pic, and get a free estimate. Regular range of powdercoating finishes are not heat resistant; if the few heat resistant types are not in stock, you'll pay for ordering it. If you send the part out for ceramic coating, prepping the surface will be done correctly. I'd rather get it right the first time and have it last and show well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts