BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you are taking off the side fairing on a 2002 do you need to dismantle the nose fairing aswell or can it be left undone? I wanted to mount the rubber leg covers on both sides

·
Registered
402 Posts
Belga, if your '02 fairing is the same as my '03, and i'm pretty sure it is, you need to take off the nose cone first to remove the side panels. However, removing the nose cone is easy compared with everything else you gotta take off -- only 4 screws.

Also, when removing the nose cone, be aware of the two plastic tabs near the windshield -- they could be broken off if you don't angle and twist the fairing just right. And when you reinstall it, they need to be popped back in, and it takes firm pressure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
detour said:
Belga, if your '02 fairing is the same as my '03, and i'm pretty sure it is, you need to take off the nose cone first to remove the side panels. However, removing the nose cone is easy compared with everything else you gotta take off -- only 4 screws.

Also, when removing the nose cone, be aware of the two plastic tabs near the windshield -- they could be broken off if you don't angle and twist the fairing just right. And when you reinstall it, they need to be popped back in, and it takes firm pressure.
Well I must say, I'm shocked. All this talk about removing fairings in public. These things are best discussed in the back rooms of bars. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
And once the nose fairing is off, be sure to cover the rear most mounting bars with a towel or some other protection. Otherwise, they make great scoring tools for the side fairings

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Spinner said:
And once the nose fairing is off, be sure to cover the rear most mounting bars with a towel or some other protection. Otherwise, they make great scoring tools for the side fairings
Very good point. I slip a length of 3/4" plastic hose over the bracket ends.
Bruce C

·
Registered
85 Posts
brucecha said:
Very good point. I slip a length of 3/4" plastic hose over the bracket ends.
Bruce C
My '04 KGT's toolkit came equipped w/ a black plastic protector to slip over the end of the front fairing bracket... maybe check yours, you might find one too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts