BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody try this windscreen but didn't keep it on your bike? I noticed that with the stock screen all the way up, I have no buffeting or pressure but huge wind noise in my helmet (worse than my old bike with no screen at all). I noticed that if I duck just about 2" (I'm about 6' tall), then it disappears completely. I'm thinking about trying the tall screen if anyone has one they'd like to sell.

Thanks in advance from a brand new K1200GT owner!

·
Registered
288 Posts
helodoc said:
It may for '08, but in '06/07 twas an option. :dunno:
You are corrrrrect, Sir! When he said "brand new" I assumed it was an '08, but of course it could well be a brand new '07.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tall v. short GT

I'm 5'11" & don't like looking through a shield. However, I like riding in cold weather, or I love riding too much to not ride when it's cold. That said, I don't like the taller BMW shield. Unless it's down, it makes for booming turbulence on my helmet - the kind of booming that a cage's open sunroof can cause at certain speeds. Doesn't much matter which helmet I'm wearing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
petethepup said:
I'm 5'11" & don't like looking through a shield. However, I like riding in cold weather, or I love riding too much to not ride when it's cold. That said, I don't like the taller BMW shield. Unless it's down, it makes for booming turbulence on my helmet - the kind of booming that a cage's open sunroof can cause at certain speeds. Doesn't much matter which helmet I'm wearing.
Pete,
Thanks for the input. Others have mentioned the same problem with the tall shield. Then again, some folks have no problem with the tall. I ordered my '08 with the short shield. If it doesn't work I'll try a Calsci shield.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/K1200GTprod.html

Regards, Dave

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
taxswami said:
You are corrrrrect, Sir! When he said "brand new" I assumed it was an '08, but of course it could well be a brand new '07.
Sorry for the confusion. I just bought an '07 demo with 600 miles. Brand-new to me! Thanks!

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
I've used a CalSci shield and was happy with it. It's a good, sporty shield with a lot less turbulence than stock. My only complaint was that it scratches rather easily, so you have to be extra careful cleaning it. They do supply a bottle of cleaner and some micro-fiber rags with the shield which helps.

It does still let a fair amount of air around the sides and up your arms though (like they pretty much all do). Which is why I eventually went with the AeroFlow plus AeroGards combination.

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
Mine came with the tall screen and it was OK, but a little buffeting when adjusted to some of the higher settings. I replaced it with a VStream windscreen and am completely happy with it. smooth airflow at any setting, no buffeting of back pressure (feel it pushing on the back of the helmet when stock screen was all the way up), and a quieter ride.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DavidTaylor said:
Mine came with the tall screen and it was OK, but a little buffeting when adjusted to some of the higher settings. I replaced it with a VStream windscreen and am completely happy with it. smooth airflow at any setting, no buffeting of back pressure (feel it pushing on the back of the helmet when stock screen was all the way up), and a quieter ride.
Hey David, thanks for the advice! How tall are you (if I may ask)? My biggest issue with the stock screen (short version, I believe) is the high frequency "roar" in my ears which I didn't have for years with the same helmet with no screen at all. I feel no buffeting or pressure in the highest position. I use a convertible full-face helmet (swing-up) and I may just need to shop for a helmet rather than a windscreen. Still a little hard to sort out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tall shield for me...

I'm 6'4" and had the low shield as stock on my '07 GT. I like some wind in my face but not a blast and I like riding with my face shield up. With the short shield I couldn't do it because of the wind blast and the noise in my Shoei RF1000 could be dampened somewhat to acceptable levels with earplugs but it wasn't to my liking. With the tall shield, I can leave my face shield up and not have a lot of buffeting but still get good air to my vents for ventilation. I still wear earplugs and the noise levels are much better, even "quiet" with the face shield down and vents closed for winter riding....too quiet...I feel like I'm in a cage.

Bill

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Looking for a tall BMW shield.

07K12GT-Pilot said:
I'm 6'4" and had the low shield as stock on my '07 GT. I like some wind in my face but not a blast and I like riding with my face shield up. With the short shield I couldn't do it because of the wind blast and the noise in my Shoei RF1000 could be dampened somewhat to acceptable levels with earplugs but it wasn't to my liking. With the tall shield, I can leave my face shield up and not have a lot of buffeting but still get good air to my vents for ventilation. I still wear earplugs and the noise levels are much better, even "quiet" with the face shield down and vents closed for winter riding....too quiet...I feel like I'm in a cage.
That tears it... anyone have a BMW tall shield they want to sell? (Or swap for a short shield?)

I ended up with the short shield when I bought the bike last August. I asked the dealer to let me try a test drive with the tall shield, but they gave me a run with a Cee Bailey shield they said they'd sold a lot of. I hated it -- too much buffeting and low rumbly noise, so I went with the short shield. ...but I really regretted not insisting on trying the tall BMW factory shield. (The Cee Bailey I tried was much wider than the stock shield and had curve up on the much higher top.)

Sounds like your experience with the short shield is very similar to mine. The short one isn't bad or anything--I'm quite happy with the bike (can't wipe the smile off my face happy, to be honest)--but it sounds like the tall one provides a noticeable improvement. I'm only 6'2", so maybe I've got it a little better.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have the tall BMW screen. For me it is good about an inch from the top where the noise reduces noticeably. I ride with it just above where the noise reduces so I don't have to look through it. Screen is OK in still conditions but plenty of buffeting in strong winds, especially side winds.

I use ear plugs on a long trip but it is OK around town without ear plugs. I found it much better than the stock short screen that I still have in my shed. The good thing is that there is enough air flow to keep the visor mist free but not too much to make it cold and noisy.

I used to ride the Kawasaki with a CeeBailey screen with my visor up all the time but it is just a bit too windy to do that with the GT. However, it is quite comfortable with the visor down on the GT whereas I was nearly suffocating on the Kwaka, especially when it rained and I had to put the visor down.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
I replaced it with a VStream windscreen and am completely happy with it. smooth airflow at any setting, no buffeting of back pressure (feel it pushing on the back of the helmet when stock screen was all the way up), and a quieter ride.
I've been curious about the V-Stream. I'll have to check it out in Cambria. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
V-stream

I just ordered the new Ztechnik 2453 yesterday and it should ship next week. It is 2 1/2 inches tall than 2452 and about the same over the BMW tall shield. With it being polycarbonate, it shouldn't scratch easily ot crack under stress. My wife is buying it for my birthday as she doesn't like the wind on her and she only likes riding on the Road King. I love my GT and hopefully this screen will work for us. :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am 6' tall and also suffered from wind noise and some helmet buffeting with the stock screen fully extended. I have installed the Cee Bailey screen with 2" extra in height and 2" extra in width and i can now ride with it extended to about 75%, I can still see over the screen and i get no noise or buffetting. The Cee Bailey screen has an upward rake or taper in the top 4-5 inches of the screen that I think helps take the airflow over the helmet. Very nice quality finish and a choice of screen colors.
Check out thier website.
P.S. I also ride with the seat in the high position, this obviously makes a difference also.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I had a CeeBailey - actually two. First one broke in half when bike got knocked over in parking lot. Second one was made out of much thinner material and wiggled like mad at speed. Buffeting was unacceptable. "Supposedly" they are back to using a thicker material.

Third screen is the Aeroflow duo-shield laminar thing. There is a still-air space behind that shield as demonstrated by the lack of movement of the thin wires from my in-ear phones that go to a jack on the handlebars, the wires just lie on the tank where they used to blow all over the palce.

Noise is less with the Aeroflow, but I still get some from the lower fairing area. Pillion complained about wind roar since she just came off an RT that also had an Aeroflow. However, GT is a much faster bike too, so maybe some of the back seat noise is due to the bike's thinner fairing as well as the higher speeds encountered.

Biggest drag with the Aeroflow on the GT is trying to clean the inner area between the two shields. It water spots badly in that area and any debris is hard to get at without dismantling the affair.

Mack

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cee Bailey tall/wide tinted windshield for sale...cheap!

I have the above windshield on my '06 KLR. Works great. I ended up with two of them...don't ask...and would be willing to sell it for $100 plus the cost of having it packed and shipped UPS. It has the light grey tint.
If you are interested e-mail me at:

[email protected]

I am going to Brazil, this Saturday, so if you want it soon let me know.

Mr. Pete--->

1 - 20 of 22 Posts