BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased my new oxford tank bag for use on my bikes, most mostly with the K100RS in mind. It uses magnets to hold to the sides of the tank.

Of course you see where this is going.

I failed to check the tank material first, really never thought of it.

I am interested in hearing how folks have attached tank bags that may not have been designed for K100's...

Thanks!

-Ian

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a k100lt I put a small slits to get the magnets out. Then I sewed on Velcro to the bag. and put it on the tank. I used this on my old k for about 5 years now no problems. I did change out the velcro once. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
166 Posts
you might want to check this system out SW-Motech I think you can get the other part for the bag half too, i have the mount system that i have electricity in my bag and no wires to unplus, it just comes off this mount.

I have it on my GT and want to put it on my F650GS Dakar so I can swap my tank back between the two bikes

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
rstout said:
I have a k100lt I put a small slits to get the magnets out. Then I sewed on Velcro to the bag. and put it on the tank. I used this on my old k for about 5 years now no problems. I did change out the velcro once. Hope this helps.
TxWhiteKnight said:
you might want to check this system out SW-Motech I think you can get the other part for the bag half too, i have the mount system that i have electricity in my bag and no wires to unplus, it just comes off this mount.

I have it on my GT and want to put it on my F650GS Dakar so I can swap my tank back between the two bikes
The original poster is long gone, having made only two posts asking similar questions more than four years ago. He is riding a K100LT; AFAIK, SW Motech does not make a mount for that bike.

For those who have newer bikes, I have an SW Motech mount on my K1200GT. I use it with the Engage tank bag. The mount fits many other Bags Connection tank bags, too. I highly recommend the mount and tank bags - they are both first rate. You can get them from Pirate's Lair (where I bought mine) and from Twisted Throttle.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
What happened to the Big Mak tank bags? They were all the rage when I had my KRS.

I now have Bags Connection tank bags and although they are a German company, the bags are made in Vietnam. None the less, the material and workmanship is first rate, also all the bags are fully lined! The tankring mounting system work very well, even though unlike the Big Mak, when you release the Bags Connection from the tank, you have to place it somewhere!!
If you select Bags Connection as your next tankbag. Choose very carefully, ask all the questions you can on the websites. The listed capacity can be deceiving. Some of the bags are bottom expandable, some are top expandable. I personally feel that a top expansion zipper makes for a more stable platform, I didn't wind up with one and find the bottom zipper works well.
I originally bought a "Vina" bag and found it too small for any overnite travel and wound up getting a "Engage-Sport" for trips. Depending on your location you might find a Twisted Throttle distributor who has a Bags Connection display set up, if possible, go see them first!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My solution to this has been to get some magnetic plastic (the stuff they make quick remove advertising signs out of for your car door) cut it to shape and use spray mount to stick it to my K100RS tank. It give the magnets something to hold onto, protects the paint on the top of the tank, and will remove with white spirit when I want to take it off. Just be careful not to splash gas/petrol onto it, or it will come loose before you want it to. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
An easier solution would be to sell the Oxford and buy a Bagster set-up. No worries about glue, magnets and velcro. You get a very cool set-up, tank protection, knee padding and a rigid, quick release tank bag system. There's also numerous tankbag configurations available - and you could own more than one tankbag depending upon intended application.

The bagster covers come in virtually all colours, or you could opt for simple black:

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Forgive me for diverting the thread (Bagster +1, BTW), but every time I see that picture I'm reminded of bullriding. It was explained to me recently that the leather strap near the ass end of the bull is there somehow to irritate the bulls junk and make him buck. Can you explain what that thing is on your motorcycle?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts