BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Tank bag and top cases

I'm looking for a tank bag for my GT and shopping for a deal on a nice case (the one that mounts up to the luggage rack). There seem to be hundreds of versions everywhere. The case would be on only for road trips, the tank bag may ride a bit more. I'd like a tank bag that won't muck up the finsh/paint on the tank, is waterproof and I could put my camera gear in (digital SLR with a second lens).

Any help? Thanks in advance. If there's something you recommend, holla back and tell me why you like it. Ditto if it's something you don't like. Just looking for some help in search - at least I could narrow it down to a manufacture or something.

cheers!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Big Mak Stuff

Quite happy with mine. No more scratches, easy to fill up, as water proof as you can get short of wrapping it in plastic, no horn or screen, or gps issues.

And if you're going to need space and travel a lot, the 49 liter top case is the biggest thing going. A bit on the spendy side but what's not with these bikes? A lot of guys go with the Givi stuff too. Good quality but it just doesn't quite match the looks of the bike enough for my taste.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Robert_W said:
Big Mak Stuff

Quite happy with mine. No more scratches, easy to fill up, as water proof as you can get short of wrapping it in plastic, no horn or screen, or gps issues.

And if you're going to need space and travel a lot, the 49 liter top case is the biggest thing going. A bit on the spendy side but what's not with these bikes? A lot of guys go with the Givi stuff too. Good quality but it just doesn't quite match the looks of the bike enough for my taste.
Quite happy with the BMW case also... And no need to change your luggage rack or keys and it looks better, to me anyway.

I also like the Big Mak! However, currently I use a Bags Connections bag, and I'm quite happy with it also! (Electrics without wires to disconnect.)

Lots of shopping and looking to do now that you bought the $20K "Starter Kit!"

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I have the BMW 49 Liter top case. Most of the time (e.g., daily commutes), I ride with the top case on, and the side cases off.

I like it because:
* It has a huge capacity; it will easily fit 2 helmets, or fit my helmet plus gloves, jacket, pants, and more. It is the only container that can hold the backpack with a 17 inch "laptop" and lots of extras inside, so I use the top case on my daily commute.
* It matches the rack on the K1200GT perfectly. The way it attaches is absolutely solid and firm.
* The handle and lock mechanisms are first class. It operates the same way as the side cases that came with the bike, only better.
* You can have the lock keyed to match the key that fits the bike and side cases, which is very convenient.
* I rarely carry passengers, but the backrest is large and comfortable. It is especially reassuring for those passengers who aren't used to riding.

I hate it because:
* It is big. I don't like the way that it catches the wind.
* It is heavy. Because sits up high and hangs off the back, I don't like what it does to the balance of the bike.
* It destroys the look and lines of the bike. I am a practical person, but even I can see the negative impact that it has on the artistic design of the bike.
* The gray top doesn't match the K1200GT - any color. Someday (soon) I will get it painted to match the bike. It is yet another expense. (I've been told that the silver color was chosen to reflect the heat. If I get it matched to the dark metallic blue of my bike, it'll be much hotter inside.)

Summary:
Even though it is immensely practical, I look forward to the times when I can ride with the top case off. Still, I recommend it highly.

P.S. If you get the 49 Liter Top Case, make sure it comes with the clear plastic protective stickers. Apply them to the rack on the GT to protect the black plastic parts from marring before you attach the top case. They are mentioned in the top case manual (K1200GT only) but nowhere else.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I too have the 49ltr top case.
All that heas been said is right on except if you have a 06 silver GT then the color is spot on.

As for tank bags. I still use my old reliable Eclipse. It straps down with quick release clips. I have the mounting straps and clips always on the bike. The front is wrap around the steering head and the clips stay out of sight in front of the tank. The single rear clip is wrapped around the front seat height adjustment brace. It stays under the seat until needed.

Refueling just unclip the single rear clip and slide th bag aside a bit.

I have heard that the BMW flip-up tray style mount tends to bend down during longer term use and weight of the bag and its contents. No personal experince with this though.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
blaine said:
I use this bag which is 51 liters and does not sit up too high.
It is water proof by having an inner liner that needs to be securely closed to make it fully water proof. The bottom is hard and nonabrasive. Pretty cool bag overall if you are looking for a non-hard case. I actually purchased it based on Shiva's recommendations over at the http://www.bmwk1200s.com site. ( link to review: http://www.bmwk1200s.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7443&sid=cf7d71048c0e7f34ca61e8782045d60d )
Same here. It's a great fit on the GT and holds a lot of stuff. Here's a photo from my recent trip from SF to Seattle. It looks a bit "saggy" but that is the natural shape of the semi-hard bottom and helps it fit securely on the luggage rack. It has great zip-out handles, making it easy to carry like a piece of luggage.

Funny, I have a whole collection of rack bags (from previous bikes) which I bought from Aerostich, Kuryakin, etc. My riding career has been a whole series of failed attempts to find the perfect bag but now I've found it.

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Robert_W said:
Big Mak Stuff

I checked out their website and dig that bag, espcecially the fact that it doesn't touch the tank. Sounds like fuel stops are easy.

Does it get in the way of the battery compartment? Is that even a big deal?

·
Registered
498 Posts
iflybricks said:
I checked out their website and dig that bag, espcecially the fact that it doesn't touch the tank. Sounds like fuel stops are easy.

Does it get in the way of the battery compartment? Is that even a big deal?
If you like the design in theory, you're gonna love it in practice! Good folks there too! Top notch customer service and you dont' have to deal with a faceless corporation to try and get someone on the phone.

It will cover up the battery cover, but it is only a few allen screws if you need access. No problem there.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good deal, I'll surf over there and check 'em out again. Just gotta find a size.

I like the big top case because it acts as a backrest for a passenger, but I don't know if I $700 like it. ouch. The soft-sided top case looks pretty nice, have to check it out.

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Check out Givis

iflybricks said:
I like the big top case because it acts as a backrest for a passenger, but I don't know if I $700 like it. ouch. The soft-sided top case looks pretty nice, have to check it out.
FWIW you can get a large Givi hardcase with backrest for about half the price of the BMW case. I had a set of Givis on my last bike and they're great. (Caveat: I kept the Givis with the old bike, so I bought the large BMW case, then payed to have it painted to match, then added a Corbin smuggler for day to day use.)

·
Registered
365 Posts
tank bags and top case

We use a small strap on bag with a Givi trunk, modified mounting plate from my R11RS not the Givi mount for the GT. I have readjusted the location to about 2" inches forwards from the position shown with a 1/2" pad for the back rest.
Sorry no current picture. The case will hold two helmets.

The bike looks best with no cases IMO. Need to make a cover for the case mounting points someday. If some one has I would like to see pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input everyone, definitely got some shopping to do.

I dig the Corbin Smuggler too. For those of you who use it - what do you do with the thing is someone wants a ride? Kinda no place to go with it. I guess it helps keeps you solo (sorry, seat's taken) and then you never have to give rides. I dig it. So many bags and choices - stock saddle bags, tank bag, corbin smuggler and a top case, I could move my apartment on the bike!

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Smuggler vs Passenger

iflybricks said:
I dig the Corbin Smuggler too. For those of you who use it - what do you do with the thing is someone wants a ride?
I bought the Corbin passenger's seat too, so I just replace the smuggler when I need to ride 2-up. I'm planning to take the bike on a family trip this summer, and we'll just bring the passenger seat and topcase in the car along with my wife's riding gear for some daytripping. Sure, I could always just leave the smuggler at home and put all the cases on the bike, but I'll have more fun with less baggage. ;-)

·
Registered
438 Posts
BeniciaRT said:
Quite happy with the BMW case also... And no need to change your luggage rack or keys and it looks better, to me anyway.

I also like the Big Mak! However, currently I use a Bags Connections bag, and I'm quite happy with it also! (Electrics without wires to disconnect.)

Lots of shopping and looking to do now that you bought the $20K "Starter Kit!"
I am using the Bags Connection "GS" and a "Daypack II". Great products.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts