BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. I need to make a decision. I know we have talked about tank bags and talked about them yet I don't see really a joint opinon from those who know -- what is the best tank bag?

My dealer has the BMW one ready for me to take. I hate the straps but think it could work.

I have also heard that Marsee is out of business. I really like the magnetic connection using the gas tank lip.

Has anyone come up with the ultimate tank bag solution? Is there a new BMW tank bag in the future that I should hold out for?

-mark=

·
Registered
486 Posts
Marsee ain't out of business. I called them last week. They still make the Corona tank bags and those bags are on back order. Marsee designs them and gets them made some where else. China perhaps.

·
Registered
145 Posts
MarkMGT

You get lots of opinions here and at the other BMW sites.....one bag that has a unique design, is easy to use, is easy to deal with when fueling your bike and is super easy to remove to take with you..is the Big-Mak Tank Bag.

There are various sizes and attachments that you can choose from to make the bag even more user friendly.

I see a tankbag first for ease of removal when I re-fuel...what do I do with it when I remove it, does it flop down, do the straps get in the way and what does it do to my tank during use.

I carry many riders goodies, pens and markers, tire guage, heavy SLR camera and use the accessorie water bootle holder and the bag never sags to touch my tank.

I've moved this bag from my '02RT to my '04RT to my '05RT and now over to my '06GT...so it's really a keeper.

My .02

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
roadshadowww said:
MarkMGT

You get lots of opinions here and at the other BMW sites.....one bag that has a unique design, is easy to use, is easy to deal with when fueling your bike and is super easy to remove to take with you..is the Big-Mak Tank Bag.

There are various sizes and attachments that you can choose from to make the bag even more user friendly.

I see a tankbag first for ease of removal when I re-fuel...what do I do with it when I remove it, does it flop down, do the straps get in the way and what does it do to my tank during use.

I carry many riders goodies, pens and markers, tire guage, heavy SLR camera and use the accessorie water bootle holder and the bag never sags to touch my tank.

I've moved this bag from my '02RT to my '04RT to my '05RT and now over to my '06GT...so it's really a keeper.

My .02
Well here are my requirements:

- Need to be able to see the Nav 3. BMW in their wisdom removed the ability from the GPS mount to adjust the angle of the GPS display--so it is fixed. Will a tank bag block the view?

- I need to mount my FRS radio or perhaps a CB radio (if I could find one that will work with the Autocom) off the side of the bag.

- I need to carry m Canon S50 Camera + case, Plexus and other small things. The inner liner must keep water out.

- I want ease of removal; yet don't want a contraption showing when the bag is not on the bike. I had a BigMac for my 02 RT and had to deal with this plastic shelf that was coming at me all the time.

- I want it to compliment the bike and not look like it doesn't belong.

-mark=

·
Registered
236 Posts
MarkMGT said:
Ok.. I need to make a decision. I know we have talked about tank bags and talked about them yet I don't see really a joint opinon from those who know -- what is the best tank bag?

My dealer has the BMW one ready for me to take. I hate the straps but think it could work.

I have also heard that Marsee is out of business. I really like the magnetic connection using the gas tank lip.

Has anyone come up with the ultimate tank bag solution? Is there a new BMW tank bag in the future that I should hold out for?

-mark=

Mark, here's two alternatives for you. If you consider the "milk crate" I have a forum based contact for your custom needs. If you like the Marsee, take a look at their website. They're still in biz. Great bag. Great quality. I crack myself up!

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BeemerDude said:
Mark, here's two alternatives for you. If you consider the "milk crate" I have a forum based contact for your custom needs. If you like the Marsee, take a look at their website. They're still in biz. Great bag. Great quality. I crack myself up!
The mik crate idea is cool... I was looking at a several systems that involved metal braces and a structure made out of legos. Clearly the milk crate is a good alternative.

The other bag though--is that the BMW bag?

What/who is this contact for my customization needs??

-makr=

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The BigMak is AWESOME! Unfortunately, it won't allow you to see your Nav III, so you may have to look at BeemerMoron's options.

FYI: I used milk crates as a hard liner for my home-made seatbag. (See pic. Do you see a crate in that pic?) His crate is simply a very poor attempt at humor. Nor does it consider your criteria. 76 posts and he has yet to contribute. My apologies...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I first mounted the big mak, didn't like it, so now I have the Marsee Corona...love it. If someone wants to buy a BM with 5" set back, email me.
Greg

·
Registered
145 Posts
MarkMGT:
Well here are my requirements:
- Need to be able to see the Nav 3. BMW in their wisdom removed the ability from the GPS mount to adjust the angle of the GPS display--so it is fixed. Will a tank bag block the view?
- I want ease of removal; yet don't want a contraption showing when the bag is not on the bike. I had a BigMac for my 02 RT and had to deal with this plastic shelf that was coming at me all the time.

These two things seen to be a deal killer for using a BIGMAK bag.

Personally I don't like looking down to see a gps, mounting on a dash shelf keeps eyes on the road.
When I remove the tankbag at certain stops, if I have high value items inside or at a overnight stop, I'm not looking at the bike anyway, so the platen plate just isn't an issue for me.

I have a FRS radio setup that goes inside the bag without issue.

Best of luck, this is one of the things I enjoy about adding goodies to our bikes, what works for one may not work for another.

It's great to have a forum like this to get ours thoughts and experiences with their mods.

·
Registered
79 Posts
BeemerDude said:
So - which model is the bag and who is it from?
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
232 Posts
messenger13 said:
What didn't you like about it?
I found with the way I mounted my gps and Sat radio that I could not get it to stay up during fueling; I had to hold it up. So the tilt feature was not what I had envisioned/hoped for. Secondly, it sits up higher above the tank than I'd like. Finally, I only use my tank bag on trips, not around down, so the platter thing looks terrible without a bag on it, and it's a bit scary if I was endoing in an accident (he says with a high, shrill voice). The Marsee Corona leaves very little behind when it's off, and during a fill up it sits on the seat in ca. 2 sec.
Now, these are my likes/dislikes only; everyone has to find what works for them (like windscreens, seats, etc.).
Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
39 Posts
I tried the BMW tank bag for the 06 GT. The straps worked fine for me, BUT I kept hitting the horn... and returned the bag... now looking for another one.

·
Registered
505 Posts

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts