BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Tank bags

13K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  cobbler 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I have been looking for a tank bag that would not ruin my paint. The only one that i found was a Marsee. I bought it, but I am not thrilled with how high it sits on the tank. I may return it for one with straps but, as I mentioned I hope to avoid marking up the tank. By the way this is for a GT. I was looking on Marsee's website and found they had a few seat bags that might work for small storage. There was one bag that I came across on the web but I can't remember where; that was quite small but attached with small spike like connectors to the tank. I don't think I would mind a seat bag as long as I could have some sort of small tank bag with a map pocket.

I'm up for some suggestions.

Thank you
Ben

#3 ·
I have the Big Mak as well as a Wunderlich rear seat bag for thr K12RS. The seat bag can only be bought from BMW Santa Cruz,call them as the seatbag is not on thier web site. The combo is just what is needed for around town,along with an RS tinted windscreen. Looks cool and does the job.

#4 ·
I've got a rather large Held tank bag for my bike. I too was worried about the paint being scratched, so I use a piece of the rubber/foam stuff people use as cabiner shelf liner. It's washable and it keeps the tank bag in place when you're riding.

alow

#5 · (Edited)
More questions

I'm in the market for a tank bag, too. Like Ben, I like the idea of a rigidly mounted bag which "floats" above the paint. I've found the following:

Big Mak http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/BigMak/?Item=BMA

Tank Locker http://www.luggagelocker.com/tanklocker.html

SW-Motech http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/332/

Comments about these products will be welcome. If you think that all of these suck then I would be happy to hear about that too.

Thanks, Bill (just another guy who is absolutely floored by his new RS with about 150 miles on it)

#6 ·
You might also want to check out the Chicane tank bags. If you are worried about the paint issue, regardless of what type of back you are useing, then you might want to get a clear vinyl tank protector. I know there is one out there that is cut specifically for our tanks that covers the center section from the yoke down tot he seat (I think). Altohugh I forgot the sellers name - I'm sure someone will yell it out.

ONON-
Mark

#8 · (Edited)
tank bag for GT

magellan44 said:
Hello all,
I have been looking for a tank bag that would not ruin my paint. The only one that i found was a Marsee. I bought it, but I am not thrilled with how high it sits on the tank. I may return it for one with straps but, as I mentioned I hope to avoid marking up the tank. By the way this is for a GT. I was looking on Marsee's website and found they had a few seat bags that might work for small storage. There was one bag that I came across on the web but I can't remember where; that was quite small but attached with small spike like connectors to the tank. I don't think I would mind a seat bag as long as I could have some sort of small tank bag with a map pocket.

I'm up for some suggestions.

Thank you
Ben
Ben go to www.PiratesK12site.net they have the small tank bag that you are talking about. GO to the K12 parts page and go all the way to the bottom of the page and click on K12 news letter there you will find the tank bag and the clear film to protect your paint too if you think you need it, GOOD LUCK.

#9 ·
#11 ·
Ben,
i am happy with my Marsee bag. Attached to my 2003 KRS using straps. No scratching or scuffing or other unwanted nastiness. Straps were easy to install. Fairly simple to access fuel cap, etc. i guess I don't mind the size/height as the price for some convenience. I believe it is the 15 liter, and indeed very roomy when expanded. Nice build quality.

Jim

#12 ·
Tank Bag

I actually have one of the Pirates small Verhollen tank bags that connect to pins around the gas tank cap. Very nice. Great construction, holds a few small items for a short ride. Been very happy with it so far.

Also have a large tank bag that I have thinking of selling. It is the Wunderlich tank bag. Will let it go for $125 if you are interested. Constructed like a tank.

#15 ·
SW-MOTECH bag

Still searching, I find myself coming back to this one by SW-Motech. The size is about right for me and it looks sleek. The mounting ring which mounts on the gas cap surround seems less ugly than those of the Big Mak or the Tank Locker. Has anyone seen one of these?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1859/3/

#16 ·
Tank Bags

Thanks for all the replies. As some of you left web sites to visit, and I did visit all of them. The one site Twisted Throttle.com seemed to have what I maybe looking for. It seems that they have a system that keeps it off of the tank a little bit and it is contoured to the tank. It is a bit small but that is ok for around town or day rides. Do any of you have one of there models and if you do, are there any items about it you do not like. I like the idea of having the locking system like the Marsee with out the bulk. It seems that the Chicane and the Wunderlich are two of the most popular with the BMW bag running right up in there. I also like not having straps on the tank. I will probably use a tank slaper also, it seems like a good idea.

Again Thanks
Ben

#22 ·
Twiste Throttle

BillA
Please give us your findings, I agree about the Twisted Throttle bag. I sort of like the smallness of it and the ability to add the map pocket. Did you purchase it with the gas tank ring and the map pocket? For the short time that I had the Marsee I did not find the gas tank ring to be to big of a visual problem. The ring was there but that is ok. Here is a question for you fellows following this forum for the last few days. I believe I know your answer to my question but I am asking any ways. The bag that BillA has purchased has the ability to add a add on bag for a GPS system. It sits in front of the bag but is attached by to metal clips for a lack of a better wording. Can this also be used for a radar detector? I am thinking this would interfere with the ability of the detector's scanning area. The add on bag is like a small map pocket, it has a viewable window but is inclose on all sides in order to make it water proof.

Bill I'll be patient and wait for your report

Thanks
Ben

#23 ·
Tank Bag - Nelson Rigg 27-41 ltr

I originally looked at the BMW K-specific bag but was put off by the $$$ ...Big Mac looked like a good idea, I like the floating concept...however I don't know anyone who has a Big Mac installed so I shyed away. Then I got an email from MAW about their weekly 'sale' that included this bag....
Nelson Rigg Expandable Tank Bag Black/Carbon #SP903K .

It's a little big, but I never regretted it...no need for a tail bag when this puppy is mounted...I also used shelf liner to give some extra grip and protection...so far, no scratching or rubbing on the tank, oh yea the cost? $39.00 including rain cover !!! OK so I'm a cheap b--tard at heart!

#24 ·
SW-MOTECH Tank Bag

OK, it's showtime! I spoke with a nice young woman at Twisted Throttle around noon on Thursday and the bag arrived via UPS in less than 24 hours. No problem with the service. Half an hour after I walked into the garage it was installed. That included time to lay out the parts, read the instructions, grab the right tools, and think about it for a while. I used my own tools but you could do it with what's in the roll on the bike. You do need a drill and a piece of wood. I dragged it out because it was fun. I bet I could do the next one in ten minutes if I had to. Everything fits, there's no measuring....really a nothing job.

I like it a lot (this from a guy who has never had a tank bag :p ). The mounting system is simple, effective, and robust....nearly elegant. I can remove and reinstall the unit in less time and with less effort than it takes to put one glove on. The fit is good...no slack, no rattle. The color of the tank ring fitting is close to that of... the tank ring and it doesn't look too bad. The bottom of the bag has a sort of channel which takes up some of the height of the mounting hardware and keeps the bag from appearing to be too high in the air. The bag is given shape by a layer of some sort of molded foam. It looks kind of snarky and aero and I think it looks good with the bike.

Someone wrote about this unit that you get what you pay for and I guess that's some sort of back-handed compliment to a thing which costs a hundred bucks. The mounting device is what it is and it works. The bag seems well made with no sloppy seams or other flaws, but it doesn't exactly exude quality either. Certainly no one is going to take it for the latest offering from Asprey or Bottega Veneta. Whatever. I like it a lot and think that it was a great deal. MV-Motech make two other bags, the Enduro and the Sport; they are both larger.

Here are some pics:

The map pocket could be bigger.

This is with the zippered expander opened up:

Here are a few commonly carried items to give you an idea of the size of the interior:

Sorry about the lousy pics. Not much sun in NJ today. I hope this will help someone. Now off to the garage to raise the gearshift lever up so I can shift the damned thing. Bye, Bill

#26 ·
I use the Marsee "4 point quick release" bags with great success on the previous RS and now the KS. As a matter of fact, I have two, one, 8 liter, for day trips, cap, cell, water, firearm, camera,Ipod, etc., and the other, tear drop for overnight. Both are expandable. No paint scratches. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.