BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help finding a set of tank protector pads for my wifes '04 KRS. I have found a set at BMW of Santa Cruz from CSS Germany, but they seem to mount too high up for her shorter legs. I need a set that mount lower were her knees actually meet the body work. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
FlagGS

·
Registered
440 Posts
Tank Protectors

I have the tank protectors from CSS, which you can place on any flat or sightly curved surface on the plastic you desire. Just where do her knees touch the body work? You can move them back toward the seat, might not look as good, but they are functional. I would hate to see my paint job if I had not installed them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The best thing is the color matched tank cover from Bagster, see link below.

If you go down tha route get the tank bag Black not matching color (you'll be able to use it on future bikes also).

Eric

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DallasKRSRider said:
I have the tank protectors from CSS, which you can place on any flat or sightly curved surface on the plastic you desire. Just where do her knees touch the body work? You can move them back toward the seat, might not look as good, but they are functional. I would hate to see my paint job if I had not installed them.
The rub marks on the body are forward and a little down from were the CSS pads will mount. I guess the pads mounted in the correct position will keep here legs off the body work and prevent her knees from moving forward and touching the body. The CSS pads look pretty beefy and should work fine. I think we will give them a go.
Thanks for your help - FlagGS

·
Registered
567 Posts
I also have the tank protector pads from CSS and have not yet mounted them. If i mount them in the correct location, they are too low for my knees with the seat in the [normal, for me] high position. If i put them where they work, they do not look right. :eek:

After over 54k miles, you cannot see any discoloration in the side of the tank from my knees. So i do not really need the pads.
perhaps i do not squeeze the tank properly with my knees. :confused:

Or, maybe others squeeze too tightly??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
85 Posts
bertbrumfield said:
After over 54k miles, you cannot see any discoloration in the side of the tank from my knees. So i do not really need the pads.
perhaps i do not squeeze the tank properly with my knees. :confused:

Or, maybe others squeeze too tightly??? :rolleyes:
`

Depends on what riding gear you wear (or don't wear, perhaps?) I installed a set of the CSS tank pads and they work well, protecting the paintwork from my BMW coverpants' (overpants) heavy cordura fabric. I also tend to grip w/ my knees a lot 'cause I like to keep a light grip on the bars when I ride.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If the paint/finish is not too degraded, you could try the clear plastic film. I installed a 3 piece kit from Tankslapper.com. The knee area piece(s) are rather large and should protect a large area. 3 years and the plastic is not discolored or scuffed. Did I mention low cost too!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
clear film

clear protective film. Put on by a lot of car places around CO, so it should be well known. The dealers get it done by venders/outside shops.

·
Registered
828 Posts
3M kit source?

Tankslapper.com is gone!:( Need to find another source for the 3M kit.

ONON-
Mark

JimT said:
If the paint/finish is not too degraded, you could try the clear plastic film. I installed a 3 piece kit from Tankslapper.com. The knee area piece(s) are rather large and should protect a large area. 3 years and the plastic is not discolored or scuffed. Did I mention low cost too!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used the 3M clear plastic for quite a while but I needed more knee grip. The CSS ones work but I too wish they extended down just a little more south. Someone in the archives posted about another similar product which had a bubble wrap look to it. They make cut to fit kits for many sportbikes.

David

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a set of CSS, and I can relate to the numerous complaints about its positions ( too high or too low ). It just makes them look funny moving them out of line with the contour of the seat and body. If only they made them a bit longer.

I do use the 3M clear adhesive film on my other bikes. Very cheap. Buy them in sheets 12"x12" for under $7. Cut your own shapes to fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
3M ready-shaped pieces from Tankslapper. Protects from the knees and from the tankbag. No discolouration (UK spelling) after two years even in the Hong Kong sun. Highly recommended.

Regards,

Ian Thomas.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hello:

I installed a set of BMW tank pad protectors on my GT and they work great. I apparently make a lot of contact with the bike with my knees during riding as evidenced by the scuff maks on the pad protectors. Here is a shot of my bike with the pads on.

Safe riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hanshi said:
Hello:

I installed a set of BMW tank pad protectors on my GT and they work great. I apparently make a lot of contact with the bike with my knees during riding as evidenced by the scuff maks on the pad protectors. Here is a shot of my bike with the pads on.

Safe riding.

I have the same set and I find that they work great for me.
I didn't choose the tranparent ones (although for style they would be nice) for these ones helped proctect against vibration, and add to the overall comfort of my ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You may want to check out TechSpec's Tank Grips. Excellent protection and though at first, allot of riders don’t feel they need any grip, they are always surprised with the improved feeling and comfort of their ride our tank grips give you. www.techspec-usa.com. We stand behind our products.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.