BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one recommend a decent tank protector? I don't really want to go down the Baglux route, but my riding gear appears to be slowly marking the tank.

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tankslappers

+1 on Tankslappers.

I just got my kit and it looks to be a perfect solution. It's even removable and reusable. Can't beat that. The guy I spoke with down there was about as easy going as they come too. Recommend it.

T

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
TechSpec GRIPSTER

Miker0_0 said:
Can any one recommend a decent tank protector? I don't really want to go down the Baglux route, but my riding gear appears to be slowly marking the tank.
I got a set of TechSpec GRIPSTERs from Pirates Lair which includes a piece to protect the back of the tank. If that's where your wear is happening, this is a good solution. I got it mainly for the extra grip from the side pieces, which makes a big difference for me, the tank protection was a happy bonus.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

I am really interested in TechSpec GRIPSTERs from Pirates Lair but hear there could be an adhesive issue.

Mike

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Issue resolved.

Miker0_0 said:
I am really interested in TechSpec GRIPSTERs from Pirates Lair but hear there could be an adhesive issue.
I actually had the (non-)adhesive issue. Apparently there was a production run with a sub-par glue. I followed the advice from others and contacted TechSpec about it and they sent me a complete new set of pads immediately. I have had no problems with the replacement, through rain and winter riding (Silicon Valley winter anyway) and the experience with TechSpec support was excellent.

You might write to the Pirate's Lair guy (he's was very responsive when I ordered) and ask if he's gotten any update from TechSpec, or ask TechSpec directly on the TechSpec site.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went with the TechSpec GRIPSTERs from Pirates Lair and also the The Metro Tank Panel System found here from Sargent Saddles.

The Metro is great protection on the back side of the tank where the tank meets the seat and also has a removable bag for storing small articles like ear plus and the like.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all that.

I'm just about to order from the Pirate's Lair, although I will ask the question about adhesive.

Thanks again :clap:

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
TechSpec GRIPSTERs for sale

I bought the TechSpec GRIPSTERs from Pirates Lair and had one that had the adhesive issue. They sent me another one from a new patch that does not have the adhesive issue. I did not switch it out and sold the bike.

It's new and in the wrapper. If you are interrested I will sell it for $30 and ship for free.

Let me know if anyone is interrested.

Ken
[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pity I have just ordered one....$50 + $67 shipping :eek: :eek: :eek:

Unfortunately I could not find a European supplier.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
kemmons said:
I bought the TechSpec GRIPSTERs from Pirates Lair and had one that had the adhesive issue. They sent me another one from a new patch that does not have the adhesive issue. I did not switch it out and sold the bike.

It's new and in the wrapper. If you are interrested I will sell it for $30 and ship for free.

Let me know if anyone is interrested.

Ken
[email protected]
I am interested and sent you an email yesterday, waiting for reply.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I replied to emails about the gripsters but did not think about shipping outside the US.
Sorry but free shipping is not included with the $30 sales price. I was thinking it would be inside the US, guess I use craigslist too much.

K

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very impressed!

I ordered TechSpec GRIPSTERs from Pirates Lair on Friday 28 March from the UK, and installed them on my bike today, Monday 31.

Excellent product and what a service....didn't even get scammed by UK customs!

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts