BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yes.....I understand I will need the tankbag with straps since, of course, the magnetic bag will not function on KGT's.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like it!

Not only does it look like a well organized, small, but usefull tank bag, the strap can double as a tank protector !!! Wonder if they designed it that way? I always find that I carry enough stuff to fill my tank bag , no matter how big or small it is! I like it!

·
Registered
212 Posts
tank bag

check pirates'lair they have a small tank bag that looks cool

·
Registered
505 Posts
I like it. I have a Cortech sport tailbag that I use on long rides. I think their products are well designed and very fairly priced.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Tank Bag

Hey Okee Joe,
I have a TourMaster Tri-Bag system. TourMaster is the poop now. Go to the Forums accessories link and find my reply post on a rider that had a tank bag suggestion. I explain, in quite a few words, what I use and how. In short, the tri-bag was too big stacked, but when you break it down, you get a tank bag AND a tail bag. This system is very versatile. Great design, reflective piping, hardware, and materials. Don't be down because you can't use a magnetic bag. I had one once on a R1100 steel tank and when I put my wallet in it, my bank card got erased, on a Holiday weekend I might add. Then it took over two weeks to get a new one. I know now what true horror is. The bag you're looking at is cool, if you have a 600 or under Yamkawhonduki, but you don't. You have a 1200cc ripsnortin' manly bike, get a manly bag. My God man, some chick might steal that one. Lol!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim,

I see what you mean about the tri-bag system. Cool! Way cool!

I already have a 20-liter Marsee and a Chicane Canyon something or other. However, I find that a big tankbag gets in the way and becomes a nuisance for just everyday use. I plan on keeping just my earplugs, tire gauge, pen, gloves, sunglasses, spare reading glasses, spare Rolex, and a few diamonds and rubies inside......Wait a minute, I just remembered I purchased a new pair of Frey Daytona Roadstar GTX boots last week, so scratch the diamonds and rubies, I used them to pay for the boots. Anyway, you see what I'm getting at. Something I can easily take off and throw in the saddlebag when needed.

By the way, I, too, once owned a Tourmaster Cortech Sport Tailbag. Very nice indeed. In fact, a fellow liked the way it looked on my Mean Streak so much, he ended up buying my bike from me. No joke.

Thanks ya'll.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
17 Posts
OkeefenokeeJoe said:
I already have a 20-liter Marsee and a Chicane Canyon something or other. However, I find that a big tankbag gets in the way and becomes a nuisance for just everyday use. I plan on keeping just my earplugs, tire gauge, pen, gloves, sunglasses, spare reading glasses, spare Rolex, and a few diamonds and rubies inside......Wait a minute, I just remembered I purchased a new pair of Frey Daytona Roadstar GTX boots last week, so scratch the diamonds and rubies, I used them to pay for the boots. Anyway, you see what I'm getting at. Something I can easily take off and throw in the saddlebag when needed.
OkeefenokeeJoe
I'm looking for the same thing. I'm avoiding the big tank bag for as long as I can, but I find I need something for the little things that you mentioned.
Here is a interesting option from Pirates Lair.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like my BMW tankbag. It fits great and is easy to unclip when fueling. It will collapse down fairly thin but you could stuff enough in it for a weekend if you had to. A little on the spendy side but it does fit perfect. Don

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trey,

I had never seen the tank bag from twisted throttle until just now. I think you might be on to something. I like the gas cap locking feature. No straps appeal to me and, plus, it keeps the bag off the paint. Width, length, and height-wise, it's right in line with other small (or mini) tank bags I have considered. A couple of others that have caught my eye are:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/marsee/marsee-tank-bag.htm

http://www.rka-luggage.com/pages/08tnkbag/2004newpics/minix window/ssminix.html

Thanks for your input.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well truthfully I am the type that hates anything to touch my paint. Call me anal or whatever but I just like paint to be shiney. My friend has a similiar in respects to style but at $300 not so much in price marsee that is magnetic to a mount similiar to the sw-motech and says it really doesn't touch the paint at all. I will be ordering the sw-motech around fathers day I would imagine. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I second the verholen

SheRidesABeemer said:
I'm looking for the same thing. I'm avoiding the big tank bag for as long as I can, but I find I need something for the little things that you mentioned.
Here is a interesting option from Pirates Lair.
I'll second this Verholen tank bag. I saw this past weekend on someone elses bike. I was impressed and enviese. The bag not too small, not too big, but just right for the little crap you have to carry around.

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have and use the small tank bag from twisted throttle. It's perfect for me. Snaps off in a second for fueling, stays locked securely, and doesn't get in my way. Nor, does it touch the paint.

The only downside, on my particular example, the clear map panel on top is very slightly crooked (quality control issue?)

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Comments on the SW MOTECH tankbag, and pictures of it on an RS, are to be found on this page: this page. You can see my Victor pissing on the floor in the background. That piece of cardboard is saturated now.

I've used the bag as my only bag for a few months. Generally I like it although I could wish that it was a little better made. I still think that the mounting system is great..simplicity itself. I bet I'll wind up with something else soon, though. I'm coming to think that any tankbag will carry what I want and I'm getting more interested in a bag as something upon which I can lie and which will support the entire weight of my torso and head. There are a lot of shapes out there and it's wicked hard to pick one after seeing only a picture on a website.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've used the RKA SuperSport for years. I like the compact size, with enough space for commuting essentials and the expandability for longer trips. It has a full size map window as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
At the risk of sounding clueless I put the few things I need in one of my side bags on the KGT. If I carry more than fits in one bag, I am out of town!

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Pirates Lair option

First, let me say that I hate tank bags. Mostly because as others have stated, I am funny about the paint contact. Beyond that, I hate the intrusion into the cockpit space.......Did I mention that I have a few issues?????

Anyway, the small bag from the Pirate's Lair is a great way bag for people looking to gain a place for a few items. It is small enough not to intrude or be obvious while riding, it is large enough to add meaningful storage to the bike and the mounting system is very good. It works as advertised. The only downsides to this bag are the need to open the bag to remove it at fuel stops and the fact that the snaps on mine are not perfectly lined up. When mounted, it is slightly skewed but not enough to bother even me ( again, I do have issues after all )
I bought one for a good friend for Christmas, that's how much I like this bag. It is not built like the premium brands available but looks great on the bike and functions very well. I use it constantly as BMW forgot to give the RS a place for small stuff and I do not always leave the bags on the bike.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hello:

I use a BMW Tankbag which I have installed the electrification kit. I do not use the third compartment so as to keep the height down. I find it very useful to keep small items like gloves, phone, keys, sunglasses, etc in for easy access.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not to hijack a thread but I have a Wunderlich I have posted for sale. Great bag, like new and a great price - $90. Can send pictures. Bag does not fit my new K12S.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts