BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this site . I have 2 Triumphs now . A 1998 speed triple and a 2000 Sprints RS. I want to be able to do more long distance touring. So I was thinking about trading in my Sprint RS for a New K1200GT. The Honda Goldwing was my only other choice. But that is a way heavy bike. And I only see old fat people on goldwings. I have 3 Dirt bikes as well A 2008 KLX450R and my wife rides a dirt bike as well a Honda CRF150 and my son rides a CRF230. Any help on this matter will be of great help. I researched the hell out out of both bikes. And the K1200GT has won sport touring bike how many years now ?Goldwing dont do sport touring .

·
Registered
498 Posts
BarkBuster said:
Hi I am new to this site . I have 2 Triumphs now . A 1998 speed triple and a 2000 Sprints RS. I want to be able to do more long distance touring. So I was thinking about trading in my Sprint RS for a New K1200GT. The Honda Goldwing was my only other choice. But that is a way heavy bike. And I only see old fat people on goldwings. I have 3 Dirt bikes as well A 2008 KLX450R and my wife rides a dirt bike as well a Honda CRF150 and my son rides a CRF230. Any help on this matter will be of great help. I researched the hell out out of both bikes. And the K1200GT has won sport touring bike how many years now ?Goldwing dont do sport touring .
I'm not sure if this is a trolling post or not, but I'll bite.

Because I rode one across the U.S. from Coast to Coast in 44.5 hours and then a little bit later did this:

Try that on any other bike out there...

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
BarkBuster said:
And I only see old fat people on goldwings.
Eureka! I finally figured out why so many of the guys here want to turn their GT's into wings......none of you are old and fat! :D :D :D :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Robert_W said:
Eureka! I finally figured out why so many of the guys here want to turn their GT's into wings......none of you are old and fat! :D :D :D :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
yea, I resemble that remark... Hell my body is even older than its years! And NObody calls me slim!

I do wonder what he posted about us on a Goldwing board when he posed that question? :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

·
Registered
3 Posts
BeniciaRT said:
Because I rode one across the U.S. from Coast to Coast in 44.5 hours and then a little bit later did this:

Try that on any other bike out there...
I can get my Honda ST1100 over further than that - without knee down antics :D

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Convincication

BarkBuster said:
So I was thinking about trading in my Sprint RS for a New K1200GT.
You make the arguments yourself:
1) You are already used to big engines. 152bhp, 96lb/ft, 3.5sec 0-60. 'nuff said.
2) You want to do more long distance touring, but a goldwing (or LT) is too much.
3) You researched the hell out of the bike, and know it wins time and time again.
You don't need convincing... you need permission! Do it, you know you want to. :teeth

Read this thread for my thoughts on the GT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Yes all good points. and I thank you for your input. The best resource is from the ones who ride them. And that is all of you. I am 43 years old with 3 knee surgeries. 205 lbs. 5'7"And when I turn 50 I get my left Knee replaced . Maybe I can have a hockey puck treaded in.So when I drag it on corners it wont spark? The heated seats are a big plus .And my wifes comfort is an issue .Any input from the female side? That has spent some time on the rear seat? I am gonna keep the speed triple so when I really wanna spit up some pavement I can hop on that. I just cant see me on a gold wing trying to enjoy the blue ridge parkway. When I sat On the K1200GT it just fit right. The tank felt good between my knees. And I could see me carving up the blue ridge on this bike . As far as tunes? MP3 with ear buds is good enough for me. BTW wicked pissa sight. I love the spell checker and will put more miles on that than any of my bikes for sure :clap:

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
The GT is a great bike. I ride it almost everyday on the highway and in the city. The adjustable windscreen, heated grips, and ESA make it versatile. The heated seats I don't find all that useful. The wife only complains about not being able to see around me.

A couple of considerations, it is a big bike and some riders under 6' have had trouble geting it off the stands, with the knees make sure you can get a low seat and see how it feels leaning it on one leg or the other.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
BarkBuster said:
And my wifes comfort is an issue .
If this is truly a major concern then consider something else. While the GT is capable of 2 up riding, and my wife has a masters degree in passenger miles over the years, it's not a multi day 2 up machine. At least not 4 or 500 mile 2 up machine. A 300 mile day is about the limit for my wife. And I don't do those back to back with her. Myself, no problem double that for weeks at a time. A couple of 2 or 300 mile days 2 up yes, occasionally. 98% of my miles are just me. Many times my wife has pointed out a Goldwing going down the road and mentioned how she'd like "one of those". Um...OK....right after I add the GS to my garage. :teeth

Let me re-state something that I've said in the past.

The GT is the Ultimate 1 Up SPORT Touring Machine. Period.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
whitepanman said:
I can get my Honda ST1100 over further than that - without knee down antics :D

Great. Have someone take a photograph of you leaned over and then post it here.

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
+1 avoid long distance 2up

Robert_W said:
If this is truly a major concern then consider something else.
Agree with that. My wife put up with a 3 week tour of New Zealand on the back of a R1150RT, so she's no stranger to long 2-up rides. She also reported it being hard to see around me on the back of the GT with stock seats, and that it felt windier. With the Corbin seats she sits higher and closer to me now and can see around me better. But I'd never do a series of 800 mile days with her on the back, she's just not that dedicated. She might put up with one 500 mile day, or a couple of 400 mile days back to back, but that's about it.

Get her a bike of her own! We did that, but her bike ('90 Honda Hawk GT650) isn't really suitable for anything more than weekend riding. (And I have to carry all the luggage!)

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
Robert_W said:
The GT is the Ultimate 1 Up SPORT Touring Machine. Period.
My wife gave it about 15 years, I kept buying bikes trying to make her happy, thus the LT. I think many 1,000 mile days thru west Tejas, New Mexico and Arizona finally cured her. She now flies and meets me in a rental car. Tadah! GT city it is, the ultimate 1 up SPORT touring machine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will be doing 95% of the driving alone. My wife has done over 300miles a day on the Sprint . With a stop every 100miles or so. I like the K1200gt and she will like the heated seats . So we should both be happy . Does anyone have the 3rd box ontop of the rack ? does that act as a back rest as well ? I still will have the speed triple that has a solo seat now since I put on a one piece tail section. I heard LT sales are slow if I can get a LT for the same price maybe . But The GT fits me So I think The GT will win. Any BMW clubs in MA. The gold wing club page shows to many old people with flabby arms for my taste. Sorry if any old flabby armed BMW are here as well but I bet the % is less

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
BarkBuster said:
..... Any BMW clubs in MA. The gold wing club page shows to many old people with flabby arms for my taste. Sorry if any old flabby armed BMW are here as well but I bet the % is less
Naw.....around here we're old with flabby bellies, our arms are in great shape from riding the GT. :rolleyes:

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Trunks and backrests

BarkBuster said:
Does anyone have the 3rd box on top of the rack? does that act as a back rest as well?
Yep, the large (50L) top case comes with a passenger backrest, and it's an addon for the smaller (28L) case. You can also get a kit to adapt the (much cheaper) Givi top cases for the GT, and passenger backrests are an option with them too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
BarkBuster said:
Does anyone have the 3rd box ontop of the rack ? does that act as a back rest as well ?
The answer to this one is a big YES. The 49 liter top box eats up lots of stuff including two full face helmets and comes with a built-in backrest. My seldom pillion loves it. There is a smaller box also but the backrest part is optional. I leave my topbox on and just store all my junk in it unless I get the urge to look cool(er) cruising the boulevard down here. The 49 liter is pricey at around $800 to say the least. Saw it online at Hammersley BMW in Lynchburg, VA for around $675. I just checked and Hammersley has a new website and I don't think it's finished yet in case you want to go there. There is a phone number if you're interested.
Check e-bay too.

Bill

·
Registered
60 Posts
The best reason I can see for getting the '08 GT is that you already bought the '08 S and you've got 200,000+ on your '07 GT ... :deadhorse

·
Registered
19 Posts
grifscoots said:
My wife gave it about 15 years, I kept buying bikes trying to make her happy, thus the LT. I think many 1,000 mile days thru west Tejas, New Mexico and Arizona finally cured her. She now flies and meets me in a rental car. Tadah! GT city it is, the ultimate 1 up SPORT touring machine.
The bike works best when you ride without passengers. I've ridden the Blue Ridge and Skyline Parkways up to DC and back twice in the last six months and let the wife fly round trip. Everyone is happy! :clap:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts