BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did 115 miles on one today from Pidcocks in Nottingham.

Took out one with ABS, ESA and heated grips. Rode up the A6 from Nottingham to Bakewell and Buxton and then back through Ashbourne to the A50 and back to Long Eaton. Weather conditions were fairly unpleasant - wet greasy road surface, strong winds at times but luckily no rain: if you think about it, ideal conditions for a test ride.

Went out on single rider preload and normal settings. Fine on the motorway and pootling around. Not so good on the greasy twisty bits on the bit between Bakewell and Buxton. Little feedback front the front and it kept feeling like it was going to run wide, although it didn't.

After a stop I changed the settings to rider with luggage and sport. This transformed the feel of the bike and particularly the front end. Now had plenty of feedback from the front despite the greasy conditions and was able to make good progress back. It's fair to say that with the preload set at rider with luggage I didn't notice a lot of difference betwen the sport and normal settings i.e. it was the degree of preload that made the most difference. I quite liked the ability to switch from Sport to Normal to Comfort to take account of changes in the road surface.

Other points:

1. Yes, the fuel injection is a bit glitchy at low revs in traffic but after a while it ceased to be a problem. I found that you did need to take care after changing down for a corner when getting back on the throttle. Gently did it otherwise I got a sudden surge of power which was a bit disconcerting on LH bends.

2. Engine does run a bit roughly on small throttle openings or on the overrun. Again when I'd got used to it this ceased to be a problem. Otherwise engine is at least as smooth as if not smoother than my ZZR 1200.

3. In Rider with luggage preload the bike handled very well. Quick changes of direction and terrific stability through the corners.

4. Brakes are excellent. Having ABS is nice when it's greasy. Much better than the brakes on my ZZR.

5. Riding position for me at 5' 11" and 32" inside leg is spot on, using the standard seat height. I was very comfortable.

6. Weather protection is very good. Felt the wind only on shoulders and my helmet. Might consider a double bubble screen but can't see this as a priority.

7. Mirrors are best I've ever seen. Can actually see what's behind you on the motorway.

8. Gear change is not bad at all. It's probably not as slick as my ZZR but the gear selector lever was too high for me so it is difficult to judge. Gear changes were better the higher up the rev range I was. Down changes were better than up changes for some strange reason.

9. Heated grips. However did I survive so long without them. It was nice to be able to wear summer gloves in November without a hint of my hands feeling cold. IMHO heated grips are up there with the dishwasher as the greatest inventions known to man.

10. Engine was smooth and powerful. Didn't feel like it had as much mid range as my ZZR and maybe not as much top end but it weighs a bit less so the performance felt very similar. For info the ZZR with a Remus 4-2-1 system fitted produces 145.3 BHP at the rear wheel @ 9,750 rpm and 88 FtLb @ 8,000 rpm.

Anyway to cut a long story short I was so impressed that I bought one on the spot afterwards, since the deal was OK. It's Granite Grey and I'm having the Ilmberger after market hugger put on it. I'll change the end can in due course but there's no rush on that.

I'll collect it in the New Year since I don't have any room in the garage at the moment and I expect they'll start throwing salt on the roads shortly.

However, something to look forward to for Spring next year.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice report, welcome to the S club.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'll collect it in the New Year since I don't have any room in the garage at the moment and I expect they'll start throwing salt on the roads shortly.

You have Waaaay more patience than I have. I'ld ride it in the snow and park it in the living room ;^)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NakedRider said:

You have Waaaay more patience than I have. I'ld ride it in the snow and park it in the living room ;^)

You're braver than me. I'd just fall off and hurt myself

1 - 5 of 5 Posts