BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saying thank you here to the BMW ABS system......today I rode the GT to work and one hour ago I left for lunch and went for a little ride to the top of the nearby mountain, Fort Mountain, Ga.

On the way back to Ellijay and my office, I was tooling along about 60mph when a grayhair backed out of her drive way directly in front of me with two vehicles in the on coming lane.

I locked the front and rear brake and stopped just short of the ladys Acura SUV.... she did finally see me but stopped in the lane as I pulled to a stop...and she waved at me.

The GT stopped like glue and I'm happy that I practiced a few panic stops in a parking lot on the bike when I bought it a couple of months ago. It actually stopped so hard I have a little soreness in my wrists.

If I had been on my Harley, I would doubtfully have been able to stop.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very glad that you're ok. I am quite paranoid of vehichles pulling out in front of me. Happens a lot here in LA.

Don't Harley's have a ABS system where you deploy a rock from the rear seat and it drags behind you to help you stop?

:)

-mark=

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
roadshadowww said:
The GT stopped like glue and I'm happy that I practiced a few panic stops in a parking lot on the bike when I bought it a couple of months ago.
And THAT, boyz and grlz, is our lesson for the day.

Practice, practice, and more practice.

Glad you're OK :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
glad you are ok...... as well
but..... i hope you took a moment to TELL her a thing or 2 so that maybe....... JUST MAYBE she'll look for 2-wheeled travelers in the future
just letting go..... saying NOTHING... is NOT the right to thing to do in MY book
of course.... my family IS from BROOKLYN :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
of course.... my family IS from BROOKLYN :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Well. that certainly explains a LOT :D

And here all this time I was blaming too much
Florida sun. :rotf:

·
Registered
96 Posts
linked brakes and power assist '06

roadshadowww said:
Saying thank you here to the BMW ABS system......today I rode the GT to work and one hour ago I left for lunch and went for a little ride to the top of the nearby mountain, Fort Mountain, Ga.

On the way back to Ellijay and my office, I was tooling along about 60mph when a grayhair backed out of her drive way directly in front of me with two vehicles in the on coming lane.

I locked the front and rear brake and stopped just short of the ladys Acura SUV.... she did finally see me but stopped in the lane as I pulled to a stop...and she waved at me.

The GT stopped like glue and I'm happy that I practiced a few panic stops in a parking lot on the bike when I bought it a couple of months ago. It actually stopped so hard I have a little soreness in my wrists.

If I had been on my Harley, I would doubtfully have been able to stop.

Glad you are ok...in talking to the dealer where I demo'd an '06 versus the braking system on the '07...he said BMW tests for the power assisted ABS showed a 10' decrease in distance required to stop (did not specify the speed). 10' can save your life or kill you.

I hope I can get the '06 before they sell it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
messenger13 said:
I just hope that the '07s stop like these '06es! (...a little fire scarecrow?) :rotf:
i SURELY would like to know if they do
has anyone, anywhere seen a review of a 2007 braking system?

·
Registered
68 Posts
messenger13 said:
Yes, I have. And they SUCK!!! :p :rotf:
then.....
i'll make sure i'm riding RIGHT BEHIND YOU, my friend.... whenever you lock up your brakes in the wet :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
2007 Brake Review

I read a few reviews of the R1200R launch. The bike had the new 07 braking system. THe motorcycledaily.com review stated:

'The new ABS system is a big improvement over the system available for the 1150. I remember that I thought the servo assisted ABS was very harsh for low speed control in the city when I rode the R1150R back in 2001. On the R1200R the ABS feels like conventional brakes when applied for normal use. For emergency stops you still get some feedback through the foot pedal or front brake lever, but particularly for slow speed stop-and-go the new ABS is much better than the old servo assisted system.'

'The new integral ABS is brilliant as it works just as well or better than the old servo assisted system, with the improved feel of a conventional set up.'

Sounds positive so far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
bjn said:
I read a few reviews of the R1200R launch. The bike had the new 07 braking system. THe motorcycledaily.com review stated:

'The new ABS system is a big improvement over the system available for the 1150. I remember that I thought the servo assisted ABS was very harsh for low speed control in the city when I rode the R1150R back in 2001. On the R1200R the ABS feels like conventional brakes when applied for normal use. For emergency stops you still get some feedback through the foot pedal or front brake lever, but particularly for slow speed stop-and-go the new ABS is much better than the old servo assisted system.'

'The new integral ABS is brilliant as it works just as well or better than the old servo assisted system, with the improved feel of a conventional set up.'

Sounds positive so far.
thanks so much
i really appreciate it.... that makes me feel better

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
thanks so much
i really appreciate it.... that makes me feel better
You know...I can see you being concerned if you knew how to actually ride! But C'Mon! All bikes brake well from 20 to 0! Even that cheesy new Pepperoni Putter you got has good enough brakes for the likes of you. :D

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
i hope you took a moment to TELL her a thing or 2 so that maybe....... JUST MAYBE she'll look for 2-wheeled travelers in the future
just letting go..... saying NOTHING... is NOT the right to thing to do in MY book
Wouldn't have done any good...... SHE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ABLE TO HEAR YOU. Nada like telling someone off when they're saying, "Eh?"

·
Registered
68 Posts
grifscoots said:
Wouldn't have done any good...... SHE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ABLE TO HEAR YOU. Nada like telling someone off when they're saying, "Eh?"
you are, of course, 100% right, my friend
just so freakin' scary...
we've ALL been there... and probably will be again

·
Registered
452 Posts
whew!!

Glad you're ok!!

The brakes on these bikes are nothing less than amazing. I thought someone was kidding when they recommended I get familiar with my bike by doing 0-100mph accels and then hard, HARD breaking to a full stop. Knowing how effective these brakes are is key to safe riding.

Ride safe,

Gravity

·
Registered
47 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
i SURELY would like to know if they do
has anyone, anywhere seen a review of a 2007 braking system?
Greg,

The September issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has a good write-up on the new brakes. They are coming on the new R1200R which is covered in a short review.

I suggest you pickup a copy and give it a read. I think you'll find it worthwhile. Especially, since your '07 will have them.

It has also been rumored the brake lines will be easier to flush since they will be much like the old style brakes with no servos except for linking the front to rear.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Motorwerk said:
Greg,

The September issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has a good write-up on the new brakes. They are coming on the new R1200R which is covered in a short review.

I suggest you pickup a copy and give it a read. I think you'll find it worthwhile. Especially, since your '07 will have them.

It has also been rumored the brake lines will be easier to flush since they will be much like the old style brakes with no servos except for linking the front to rear.
i'll pick up a copy tomorrow
thanks so much for the tip

·
Registered
66 Posts
Imagine

Some people would not be supprised to hear that I have had a couple of chances to test my ABS and I can you all that they work well......Very well.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Interesting thread fellas.
I actually reckon that my 04 GT had better brakes than my 06 GT. I have completed an advanced cornering and braking course on the 04 GT which involved many HEAVY braking runs from up to 120kph to 0. The 04 made me look like a really good rider.
When I brake for my drive way at home (in the bush) from 100kph, I'm convinced my 06 GT doesn't feel as strong.
Bloody good still, but not as good.
I'm sure it's just me getting use to the machine, i.e, lever set up and different ergonomics on the 06 vs. 04. I'm certainly in a different (more sit up and beg) position compared to the 04.
Best wishes all.

Ken.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts