BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since this bike is 17 years old, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Began to notice a bit of oil collecting in the bottom of the belly pan on my 2004 K1200gt. I had just changed the oil a few weeks before, and was hoping it was just a small leak from the drain plug or maybe I'd pinched the O ring on the filter cover. But no, the bike is leaking oil on the left-hand side of the engine between the engine housing and the transmission joint. Ugh! The clutch isn't slipping or anything (yet) but I know this will only get worse. Can't say I'm looking forward to tearing into this one. I'm the slowest mechanic in the world. Getting old enough now that big repair jobs are becoming pretty challenging. A job that would take a shop a week takes me over a month! I've cleaned up the oil and will watch it for now. I guess as long as the clutch isn't slipping, there's no rush? What's the collective wisdom here?
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Clutch isn't there.What's under there is the starter drive etc....!
Failed sealant like mine,altough farther up mine has been seeping forever!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it was a little far forward for the clutch, but wasn't sure having never been inside. It's up high enough, well above the oil level, I just assumed it was being "slung" by the clutch/pressure plate assembly. It's more than a seep, since it's leaking enough to drip Into the belly pan. I've cleaned it all up and will see how long the leak takes to return. While the bike is 17 years old, the bike only has 13K on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks pretty clean to me. Um, the front of my engine has been leaking for years. Collection of small stones immersed in grime. I'm told it's the timing chain cover, although a leak from the water/oil pump area does look similar. Wish I could show you pics. It's pretty messy at times.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The front timing chain leak is pretty much a known issue. That leak shows up sooner or later on every K bike engine. I had it on my first one ( a 2003) but so far this 2004 has yet to spring a leak up front, knock on wood. The problem with the leak I have is it is bad enough to drip into the pan and run back, I suspect getting a bit of oil on my rear tire from time to time on a long ride. Then, as you mention, the stones and sand just stick to it, making a bigger mess!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not the timing cover for certain. That's at the front of the engine. This leak is from the seam at the rear of the engine block, just behind and above the #4 exhaust header pipe, as seen in the photo. Don't know what's up under there that could be leaking, as it disappears behind the frame. I think I'd have to pull the tank to get a good look at it from above, so that can wait until it's time for a full service.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh. I'm used to looking at a rear main seal leak from the right side of the bike. When my clutch slipped, I knew what was going on. I drilled a small (3/16") hole in the bottom of the housing to let the oil drain out. I think I sprayed some brake cleaner in there too. What was I thinking ??!!
I think it was all on the advice from others who had the same issue. Inevitably, ya gotta go in there and replace everything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My suggestion - send a PM to Beech and Sailor, who are gurus at this stuff. My guess: rear main seal? The seals leak normally shows up further back and on the other side, at the casing-housing joints. I'll try and post a couple of images (I also have a short clip of the leak with the engine running, but its too large to upload, so just imagine weeping, bubbling oil).

I got another 12,000 km between the first hint of oil and the clutch begining to slip, and oil on the belly pan. The oil on the spoiler is not good karma, because I reckon it'd go from there onto the rear tyre ...

Automotive tire Camera accessory Flash photography Camera lens Automotive design
Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Rim Tints and shades

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I think youi're good. I'd just clean it and watch it but also remember with it being this old a lot of rubber hoses under the tank start to dry up and crack from the heat. Next time yoy change your air or fuel filter. take the air box completely off and inspect ALL the hoses on top of the engine and coming from the throttle body. I just replaced and adjusted my cruise control cables and micro-switch and while I was there the vacuum hoses were hard and a rock so i replaced them, and a few years back I replaced every vacuum hose under the tank. Even if they aren't physically cracked they could be dried and lose their seal to whatever they are pushed on to. Kaus's photo's are what to look for with regards to rear main seal going........and it will.

·
Registered
2001 K12000RS
6 Posts
I would check the crankcase breather hose..iut runs over the top of the engine down to the throttle bodies...they all fall apart at some point and dump oil on the engine and the wiind blows the oil back and it seeps down that joint had it on my 99 and 01

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
My suggestion - send a PM to Beech and Sailor, who are gurus at this stuff. My guess: rear main seal? The seals leak normally shows up further back and on the other side, at the casing-housing joints. I'll try and post a couple of images (I also have a short clip of the leak with the engine running, but its too large to upload, so just imagine weeping, bubbling oil).

I got another 12,000 km between the first hint of oil and the clutch begining to slip, and oil on the belly pan. The oil on the spoiler is not good karma, because I reckon it'd go from there onto the rear tyre ...

View attachment 30158 View attachment 30160
This is EXACTLY what mine looks like now, WITH a new 3-week old rear main......see my new post 05-14-2022.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts