BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to brake K bikes ?
Or better how you brake your K bike ?
I was an owner of Honda ST1300 and is not the same system, BMW brakes are more sensibles and efficent.

For "best way" I mean that, I'm not sure if is better to "anticipate a little" front brake and then only after 1 -2 sec use rear brake, or is better to "anticipate a little" rear brake and after front brake

Sure I'm talking about aggressive speed :)

When I use front brake before I like to have more pressure in rear brake but I don't like the effect when I release front brake.

When I use rear brake beofre I like to pre-load the front fork the use the front brake

So, what is the best way ? not sure, maybe I must use my bike for more km to learn better about this amazing bike :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Max,

Because of the anti dive nature of the front suspension there is not really any need to preload it in the way you do with normal forks. There is hardly any dive no matter what you do. Also, the rear brake is activated automatically by the computer when the front brake is applied, so that in normal use there is no need to use the rear brake.

For aggressive riding as you are talking about, you will find that the ABS will easily cut in on the rear brake if you apply only a little more rear brake than the computer does, especially when using engine braking at the same time. I never ride that way but I imagine that the normal techniques used on other bikes will not apply to the GT because of the linked brakes and the anti dive geometry of the front suspension. You will just have to ride more and experiment and have more fun.

Good luck and let us know what technique you find works best for you on the GT.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Monsieur Max,

Because you stated "aggressive speed", you should apply both brakes together at the same time. Even though the brakes are linked, having good habits may help if you are ever on a different bike or there is some type of brake system failure.

Practice helps a lot.

Note that there are two different brake systems for current generation K1200GTs. The 2006 model uses servos, the 2007 and above do not. The front/back linkages are also different between the two types of braking systems.

The physics of braking a motorcycle are the same for K1200GTs as they are for other bikes. The goal is extract the maximum friction from both tires and the road. As the forces shift forward and additional weight bears down on the front tire, you can squeeze the front brake harder without skidding. Likewise, there is a reduction in weight on the back tire, so you have to ease up or the back tire will skid. Of course, the ABS prevents skidding by releasing the appropriate brake just before a skid occurs. Not all bikes have ABS, and ABS can fail on bikes that do have it, so good braking technique is useful.

The 2007 K1200GT has the best brakes of any bike I have seen. About six months ago I had a chance to compare the K1200GT against a wide variety of other bikes including other BMWs, Harleys, Ducatis, and more. There was an emergency braking exercise on a flat dry asphalt surface. Each rider got several turns to make a straight run, then emergency brake at a marker. There were lines to show stopping distance. For two of my turns, I decided to jam on both brakes hard, to see what the ABS on the K1200GT would do. It was impressive, and bested all of the other bikes in the course. Frankly, even with a lot of practice, it is hard to best the K1200GT ABS system.

Bottom line: Use both brakes when riding at "aggressive speed".

Note: There are cases where using one brake or the other helps. I use only the rear brake in certain low speed situations, such as parking lots. I may use only the front brake at a red light, so I am ready to plant my right foot and operate the shifter with my left foot. It depends.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your answers, several times the best answer is the most easy answer, I'm working now to use both brakes and I like it :)

and yes me too I use rear brake in parkings and low speed situations

·
Registered
46 Posts
DavidS
I agree, after 7000km (on 07) I have not touched my back brake, just grab with the right hand and brace yourself for the G-Force :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Braking

Wow, I guess I'm old school or something. I set my speed before entering the turn and lean hard on the bars. In the event of having to brake I trail brake. Its an old habit I guess. I really try not to use my brakes when riding aggressively, I use my gears and try to stay off the front brake. Maybe you guys will convert me to using the front brake. Don't get me wrong, I know the front brake is about 70% of your braking and I use the heck out of it but not when in a turn. Trail brake possibly and throttle.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
magellan44 said:
Wow, I guess I'm old school or something. I set my speed before entering the turn and lean hard on the bars. In the event of having to brake I trail brake. Its an old habit I guess. I really try not to use my brakes when riding aggressively, I use my gears and try to stay off the front brake. Maybe you guys will convert me to using the front brake. Don't get me wrong, I know the front brake is about 70% of your braking and I use the heck out of it but not when in a turn. Trail brake possibly and throttle.
Sounds to me like you're doing it right. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
William-K1200 said:
DavidS
I agree, after 7000km (on 07) I have not touched my back brake, just grab with the right hand and brace yourself for the G-Force :)
Yep, go in hot, brace for the decel g's, whack it WFO and know the ASC will keep the back hooked up and the front on the ground. What fun!

·
Registered
650 Posts
cmonroe11 said:
That is the safest, and IMHO the only way to do it.
Agreed, but if you have come off a fast straight you have obviously got to reduce your speed to "set" it for the turn.
I too trail my rear brake through the corner and unless you are racing I also dont see the point in last minute heavy braking.
Smooth is fast!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts