BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago my brother had a 18ft boat we used to take fishing at the lake. Before backing the trailer into the water to offload the boat you had to put the drain plug back in or the boat would fill with water and start sinking as soon as you pushed it off the trailer. He would let me take the boat out without him and told me don't forget to install the plug before pushing the boat off. Of course 1 day I forgot and I had to get the boat back on the trailer and pull out of the ramp to let the boat drain before putting it back in the water. Afterwards I told him what happened and he said no worries it's one of those things everyone forgets once but you'll never forget again. Well this morning I was looking for a mask to put on so I could go in the store and I forgot to fully latch my bag. Got back on Rte 80 in PA and at 85mph I thought I had a flat tire because the bike wasn't tracking properly.....lol I need to buy new rain gear but things could of been a lot worse. I will never forget to make sure everything is latched properly again...:oops:

·
Registered
10 Posts
The boat plug problem has plagued me my whole life. I've been around boats since I was born.
Here is what you do:
1. Keep the plug somewhere where you will see it before launch, like in the well next to the engine. DO NOT put it in your truck, then if you are halfway across the lake when you realize it's missing...... (yep, did that once)
2. Install the plug from the INSIDE of the boat, so if it gets loose it doesn't fall in the lake (Fortunately I've not done this one)
3. Carry some duck tape in the boat, just in case...
4. If you do launch and don't have a lot of water when you discover the problem. No worries, just crank up and go. If you are moving fast enough to plane out, the water will run out on it's own. Just ride around till the water's gone and put the plug in.
5. Invest in a cool gadget that I found out about, or make one. It's a very thin short flexible hose that goes in in place of the plug. When there is no water outside the plug, it opens and drains. When there is water pressure trying to get in the boat, the little hose flattens and won't let it in. Ingenious.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Get a 'REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT' tag and attach to the plus, which is attached to the key. That works for my buddy.

Although, it looks like you need to hit the road and start a new sticker collection. Works for keeping squid bikes together.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
37 Posts
Like lowering the landing gear on an airplane. The saying goes there are two types of pilots. Those who have forgotten to lower the gear and the rest of us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts