BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I pulled the trigger on the R...and I'm pretty damn excited about it!

I test rode the R the weekend before last (Yellow/Black) and was impressed with the handling. Just takes no effort to turn, slightest pressure on the bars and you are turning. The power was nice but I wasn't awe struck by it. Despite it's weight the GT hauls ass so I'm spoiled. I did notice the R engine had some rough edges, it didn't really have the silky smooth feel of the GT, but that is really in keeping with the character of the bike.

The wind blast is greater on the R but actually less than I expected. What wind there is seems pretty evenly dispersed. I've noticed that many bikes direct the wind at your head. No problem in that area with the R.

Rode the R again today, same bike as the one I rode a couple of weeks ago but now dressed out in Silver/Black (dealer swapped the cladding with another R that came in)...which I prefer. It has ESA and ABS, along with a centerstand and the slightly larger tinted screen. It was cold today (4 deg C) but I was fine on the R other than on the highway, but I'd be cold on the GT too. Not as cold, but cold.

I really debated ordering an S but it just didn't grab me the way the R did. Down the road, if I start to do more (long distance) touring I might make a switch, but for now, I think the R is the best fit. Most of my riding is around town with the occasional weekend/overnight jaunt. Once or twice a year I might go away for 4 or 5 days. I think I'll be able to handle 2 - 300 mile days at sane speeds on the R pretty easily. I'm not that old yet!

Cheers.

·
Registered
395 Posts
congrats on the purchase I am sure you will love it!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Congrats on the bike. I'm sure you'll love it.

If you haven't had the bike over 7,000 you haven't seen anything yet

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats!

What a dilemma the S or the R....talk about a win/win situation. You are a lucky guy, the R is one HOT machine! Congrats, please post some pics asap.

·
Registered
209 Posts
raffyk said:
Congrats and welcome to K1200R ownership.

Wait till you pass the 600 mile srvice.
I didn't wait! I wonder if that's why our bikes sound so different. Different break in. I took it just a little easy for the first 100-200 then pretty much rode it like I was going to in the future. Didn't hold it long near red line put wasn't afraid to run it up there for short bursts.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Could be. Next time, I'll pull the tank bag off and see if that makes a difference in sound. There definietly is a growl wiothout the bag. But then again, your break in may be the difference.

·
Registered
209 Posts
raffyk said:
Could be. Next time, I'll pull the tank bag off and see if that makes a difference in sound. There definietly is a growl wiothout the bag. But then again, your break in may be the difference.
Good point about the tank bag. Much of what I hear is from the air box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts