BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone.

Last weekend saw me take my new R1200RT for its first long ride!

The bike performed flawlessly - on roads that ranged from tight twisties in the hills, to long, straight roads out on the plain.

I rode about 1600km, from Melbourne to Temora and back. Every 3 months, there is a warbirds flying show at the Temora airfield. By some creative mapwork, we only had to do about 60 km on freeways - the rest were backroads.

And that is where the RT absolutely shone! I found that the suspension made very light work of rutted and pitted road surfaces - basically just point and accelerate through bumpy corners that had my mates on their Sprint ST's (my previous bike as well) wandering from bump to bump!

The ride absolutely, positively vindicated my decision to buy the R1200RT, and return to the BMW fold after 12 years and three Triumphs!

Viva la BMW!!

I also took some helmet video of our trip - a short clip is located here

Temora run clip 1

I hope you get a laugh out of it!

Cheers
Tony

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Great video, thanks for sharing! :)
You made the riding easy :)

-10C at the moment here and about 1m of snow...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Nice ride, good to hear you love the bike.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Road to Whitfield

Fantastic video and isnt that a great road!Our local group has an annual high country ride and another ride in May we allways divert over that road.Thanks for the video motivated me to get the bike out this arvo
cheers Andrew K1300GT Horsham

·
Registered
239 Posts
R1200rt

Well done Tony another good video.Looks like you may have one of the new 2010 models??
You motivated me to get the K1300GT out, went thru Natimuk then up thru Little Desert National park to Nhill then down the highway to Horsham.Great fun especially off he highway (GRIN).
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G'day Andrew;

I have what I was told was the absolute last of the 2009 models! It was exactly what I was looking for - no radio or ESA.

You have some great roads in your area - although one must keep a look out for emus! I was riding there late last year on my Sprint ST, when I came hurtling around a corner to be greeted by a horde of feathered large things.....that WAS an organic adrenaline moment, I can tell you.... :yeow:

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
239 Posts
Emu

OK Tony well have another thing to watch out for ! Compliments probably of our North American cousins.Zipping thu Zumstiens on the way back to Horsham from the Grampians and noticed a HUGE deer cross the road ! I would hate to hit one of those at any speed !
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great road through Zumsteins!

You are right about watching out for deer - I did not think about them at all.

I might be heading up to Mildura, then back via Pinaroo and Mt. Gambier in a couple of weeks time - I shall let you know how it all went.

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mildurea

OK Tony should be a good ride ,let me know if you are coming thru Hosham and I will buy you a coffee if I am home.We went for a ride to Robe SA yesterday,WX was pretty good really only got a tiny bit of rain.And had a great meal of fish and chips at the pub.Roads not that interesting but was good fun to get out in the fresh air!
cheers Andrew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts