BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I fill my GT it says I have a range of about 238 miles (doing this from memory so I might be wrong). I travel nearly 200 miles and the warning light comes on.

When I fill up I usually have at least a gallon of fuel left after the range indicator says I have no miles left.

I don't mind a reserve--but a whole gallon?

Is there any adjustment? I had the same issue on the RT but I ran into it less frequently due to the larger RT tank. It had a 7 gallon tank versus the 6.1 in the GT.

-mark=

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
What's wrong with a gallon reserve? Wouldn't you like to know you have 35-40 (or whatever) miles before you're stranded?
:confused:

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
I thought a gallon was pretty standard for a reserve.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
When the BC tells me that I have ZERO miles left, I have approx. 1 gallon left. And that don't make me mad. When you're in the middle of Wyoming, you want as much notice as possible. Don't ask me how I know. :eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess the thing is.. the range itself it shows before I go to reserve doesn't seem to add up. I'll track this closer. I just know I see that yellow sign a lot on this bike. :)

It comes on when I have about 40 miles left before I have a gallon left. Just seems excessive to me. I guess that is the RT coming out in me. I miss the 7 gallon tank :)

-mark=

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Oh, I see....the light is coming on with about 2 gallons left instead of 1....I bet that can be adjusted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't mind

the computer letting me know that I have a gallon left. I just don't like riding around with that flashing gas pump and the BIG yellow warning light. It is kind of distracting.

If I only have 40 miles left you only need to tell me once.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It works for me.

This last Sunday I rode through empty and for about 7 to 10 more miles. From prior experience I felt fairly safe to about 250 miles on a tank of gas. When I filled up it took a little over 6 gallons and the trip 1 read 246 miles. I always reset trip 1 when I fill up. It comes from having long experience with BMW Gas Gauges.

I do a lot of rides where one gallon remaining s about right to get me seriously interested in finding a gas station. Most of us seem to have about a gallon left when the light comes on and it starts counting down to zero. My R1200GS is much less trustworthy. Most of my current and previous bikes just have a light or nothing. For a touring bike I think it is one of the meaningful features.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
And my old bikes, did not have a guage or light. When the fuel ran out and the engine starts to starve, Ai would just flip the "reserve" lever and then find a gas station...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
larrykay said:
And my old bikes, did not have a guage or light. When the fuel ran out and the engine starts to starve, Ai would just flip the "reserve" lever and then find a gas station...
EFI bikes don't like being starved though. It's best to get them fuel at the first signs of thirst. (Even though I've been known to ignore that low fuel warning for 20-30 miles. :eek: )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts