BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have owned 20 different GPS units... including the NAV I and NAV II
thye NAV III stinks......
period

i have the detail of the maps on max
i have the zoom detail adjusted properly.....
but, the unit is SO slow that it cannot draw any roads at speed....
meaning that.... when you are MOVING.... you can't see the names of any roads if you are traveling faster than 30 mph

anyone else have THIS issue?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Greg, do you have firmware version 3.10 loaded? Garmin updated the Navigator III August 21th or so. Here's the link. Something about a speedup for the text to speech. It's on Garmin's download site. Maybe it would help? :confused:
 

·
Statmaster
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
The Nav III is the same as the 2820.

I have a 2720, the previous generation, and I don't have this problem.

Are you using the 3d view or the 2d map view?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eljeffe said:
The Nav III is the same as the 2820.

I have a 2720, the previous generation, and I don't have this problem.

Are you using the 3d view or the 2d map view?
hello jeff....
maybe we can chat about this later.
i have used 2-D and 3-D......
i had the detail set to "most"
maybe that is the reason

going slow..... or when there are few side roads, it gives the names....
but, on the interstate.... or even on 35mph side roads, when there are a lot of side roads, it gives nothing..... in or out of a route
....... the nav iii NEVER gives the name of a road that is PARALLEL to your direction of travel

and.......
i have the "gray roads when not in your route" set to NEVER

my 376, on the other hand......
every road at every speed

jeff,
i hope you have read my posts about my utter satisfaction with this amazing bike..... which you've been saying all along

what an amazing piece of engineering wizardry
i LOVE the GT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eljeffe said:
The Nav III is the same as the 2820.

I have a 2720, the previous generation, and I don't have this problem.

Are you using the 3d view or the 2d map view?

i know that we've all believed this statement.....
BUT....
why can't you buy the GXM30 antenna (which i already have for my 376C) and get XM RADIO on the nav iii
IF the unit it indded a re-badged 2820.... then you OUGHT to be able to get XM RADIO.....
so,
there is something else going on here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GMack said:
Greg, do you have firmware version 3.10 loaded? Garmin updated the Navigator III August 21th or so. Here's the link. Something about a speedup for the text to speech. It's on Garmin's download site. Maybe it would help? :confused:
i usually update my garmins all the time this way
but, the minimal update provided here does not SEEM to be related to my issues
but.... i will do the update anyway
thanks for the reminder
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
i know that we've all believed this statement.....
BUT....
why can't you buy the GXM30 antenna (which i already have for my 376C) and get XM RADIO on the nav iii
IF the unit it indded a re-badged 2820.... then you OUGHT to be able to get XM RADIO.....
so,
there is something else going on here
Now that is interesting!

I thought it was a 2820 re-badged as well. Seems to be closer to a 2720 than a 2820 or some other unreleased model? It sort of makes sense in that the Navigator II+ was a 2610 and the III may be a 2720. It mentions nothing about XM or Traffic Updates on the Garmin website on the Navigator III. nor on their Accessories page. I'm hedging it is a 2720 model from their spec's page.

Maybe the future BMW Navigator IV model will be a true 2820 and the Zumo will evolve into the BMW Navigator V? BMW may be a little slower on getting around to the latest and greatest GPS units since the Nav. II+ (2610 model) was only discontinued a month ago, but Garmin has been a couple of generations ahead of the 2610 (or Nav. II+) by the intro of the 2720 (Nav III??) and 2820 (future Nav. IV??).
 

·
Statmaster
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
i know that we've all believed this statement.....
BUT....
why can't you buy the GXM30 antenna (which i already have for my 376C) and get XM RADIO on the nav iii
IF the unit it indded a re-badged 2820.... then you OUGHT to be able to get XM RADIO.....
so,
there is something else going on here

Greg,

There are days when I have to wonder where you get some of the stuff you post.

You can buy the XM puck antenna for the Nav III.

Mike Sheehan, the Garmin Rep at CCR talked about this at great length at CCR.
 

·
Statmaster
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
GMack said:
Now that is interesting!

I thought it was a 2820 re-badged as well. Seems to be closer to a 2720 than a 2820 or some other unreleased model? It sort of makes sense in that the Navigator II+ was a 2610 and the III may be a 2720. It mentions nothing about XM or Traffic Updates on the Garmin website on the Navigator III. nor on their Accessories page. I'm hedging it is a 2720 model from their spec's page.

Maybe the future BMW Navigator IV model will be a true 2820 and the Zumo will evolve into the BMW Navigator V? BMW may be a little slower on getting around to the latest and greatest GPS units since the Nav. II+ (2610 model) was only discontinued a month ago, but Garmin has been a couple of generations ahead of the 2610 (or Nav. II+) by the intro of the 2720 (Nav III??) and 2820 (future Nav. IV??).
The Nav III is a 2820. The Garmin Rep that covers BMW was at CCR and spoke about this at great length. You can add the GXM30 antenna puck and get XM and XM Traffic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
eljeffe said:
The Nav III is a 2820. The Garmin Rep that covers BMW was at CCR and spoke about this at great length. You can add the GXM30 antenna puck and get XM and XM Traffic.
While you were at CCR did the Garmin rep mention anything about MP3 & audio books support in the NAV III? The 2820 supports both.
 

·
Statmaster
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
Yes on both.

The Nav III *IS* a 2820 with the special firmware for the BMW units (dealers and supports the button cradle).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
eljeffe said:
Yes on both.

The Nav III *IS* a 2820 with the special firmware for the BMW units (dealers and supports the button cradle).
Thanks.

Also, it isn't clear to me from the NAV III owner's manual on Garmin's site online whether both the audio out and microphone in jacks are accessible while the NAV III is in the cradle. Are they?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
eljeffe said:
Greg,

There are days when I have to wonder where you get some of the stuff you post.

You can buy the XM puck antenna for the Nav III.

Mike Sheehan, the Garmin Rep at CCR talked about this at great length at CCR.
the rep was wrong

here is the link:

http://www.garmin.com/products/bmwNavigatorIII/

the nav iii is a dumbed down version of a 2820.....
there is NO XM RADIO capability

see the garmin site itself
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
one more thing
i just plugged the my GXM30 (from my 376C) into the nav iii
it recognized it..... and i could get NAV TRAFFIC only
NO XM RADIO at all

so.....
now we have proof

jeff.....
please remember that no one, and i mean NO ONE is a bigger garmin fan than me
i have 6 of their units active in my possession now

but.....
the nav iii is NOT truly a 2820
IF i had known that.... i would NOT have bought it

my 376C give INFINITELY MORE ROAD DETAIL than the nav iii... and i have NO idea why

$1,400.00...... ridiculous
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
when you read the nav iii manual...... you find NO reference whatsoever to XM RADIO

and.....
the box in which it comes has no mention of xm radio or mp3 player capability
and the 2820's box mentions both

so......
it really isn't clear to me on WHAT model the NAV III is REALLY based
but, it seems UNlikely that it is the 2820.

why the rep at CCR didn't know any of this is beyond me
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
when you read the nav iii manual...... you find NO reference whatsoever to XM RADIO

and.....
the box in which it comes has no mention of xm radio or mp3 player capability
and the 2820's box mentions both

so......
it really isn't clear to me on WHAT model the NAV III is REALLY based
but, it seems UNlikely that it is the 2820.

why the rep at CCR didn't know any of this is beyond me
Greg, I think you're right on the Nav III. The are some posts on the ADVRider site and some other GPS forums about the same thing (i.e no XM radio). I noticed on Sierra BMW's in Reno, NV site that it also makes no mention of the XM radio or Mp3 player functions. Here's the Sierra link.

Wouldn't be the first time a sale's rep was wrong (like BMW rep's who insist older BMW RT's never surged!). It's either a 2720 or dumbed-down 2820. I'm thinking the 2720 since Garmin may have introduced the 2820 as THEIR unit before they would brand it to another marquee. The Navigator III, I believe, was announced some months ago around the time the 2820 appeared. No doubt BMW was thinking the 2720 was the newest then....or some model priority squabble with Garmin occured. Maybe it was a good way for Garmin to unload all the 2720's for their newest model?

Fwiw, Harley also introduced the Quest I as their bikes Nav system when they began branding them and selling add-on GPS units for their bikes. The Quest II was the new kid on the block then. Looks like the same game plan. Now that Garmin has moved ahead with the Cxxx and Zumo series, H-D now has the Quest II as the newest model.

So it's a really closer for the Nav III to be called a 2720 and not a 2820. :confused:

Kind'a bites though paying a premium price and being a generation behind though. I'm hoping their Zumo 550 lives up to the Garmin site's advertising claims (i.e XM radio, Mp3, POI Loader, Traffic, Weather, Google sharing/flyover map thing, etc.). No doubt the Zumo 660 will surface next Spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm thankful for you post
this, however, makes me certain that the NAV III is a waste of money
i'm wondering now if i ought to return it

under WHAT pretences i do not know
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
read this:

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2730/

the NAV III IS a 2730

i guarantee it
so......
folks have been dishonest from garmin

and bmw has SOME nerve selling a $1,400.00 gps unit that is LITERALLY LAST YEAR'S NEWS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Sorry for your buyers remorse on the Nav III. While researching the Garmin, there were three features I had to have when I purchased my GPS: Bluetooth, XM, MP3. Upon reviewing the Garmin site, comparing all the GPS's feature funcitionality and price, and weighing the Zumo 550 arrival estimated to be in October, I pulled the trigger on the 2820 just last week. The GPS comparison post that eljeffe posted a few weeks back helped with my research as well. Thanks Jeff...I must admit the Zumo looks very promising, however, I like the way the StreetPilots mount to the GT. It's very clean with the BMW mount.

In summary, even if the Nav III had/has XM and MP3, the price delta was to great for me. However, I do wish the 2820 had greater portability, i.e., power from batteries, rather than being tethered to the AC adapter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
read this:

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2730/

the NAV III IS a 2730

i guarantee it
so......
folks have been dishonest from garmin

and bmw has SOME nerve selling a $1,400.00 gps unit that is LITERALLY LAST YEAR'S NEWS
That one (2730) has XM Radio and a Mp3 player though!

The 2730 is nearly $1300 MSRP which makes the BMW cradle a $100 addition for $1400. Not as far out of line for BMW as I had thought. I know, it can be found for less...

Here's something interesting. The firmware versions for the 2820 and Nav III share the same verison number 6.20. The firmware for the 2720 and 2730 share the same version 3.20. Odd behaviors between the models, no?

Even with Nav III and 2820 sharing the same version number, the operating of the two units is distinctly different. Something is going on somewhere. The Nav III may be a crippled 2820; you know, the kind where the circuit board is missing a few key components to make it a full 2820.

Might explain why some who try to make the Garmin 2820 display a BMW Navigator screen are having problems with the firmware - or was it visa versa?
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top