BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at this video of the new VFR1200.

Youtube video of Honda VFR1200 at Cycle World's Dallas Motorcycle Show

At around 35 seconds when it is rotating to the back, look at how w-i-d-e that final drive is. It sort of looks like the BMW drive from the side at 25 seconds, but look at the thing's width 10 seconds later. Looks twice as wide as BMW and it really sticks out to the side. If that bike falls over, it looks like the drive is going to take some damage.

Begs the question: "Is BMW's FD designed wrong, or is Honda's designed right?"

Mack

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
A final drive that wide would really move the bearings apart and lessen their load. The Honda drive ls so wide there might be room for a third bearing near the output shaft.

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
magastos2 said:
waste of time looking at these tread.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

What were you expecting? A master mechanics' class?

If you have more important things to do, please do them... If you have more interesting things to contribute, please post them...

But your post is kind of a waste of time, no?

I think if someone gets their hands on an exploded VFR final drive diagram, this would lead to an interesting discussion.

For example, Honda decided to use constant velocity joints in the driveshaft. BMW has traditionally used u-joints. It will be interesting to see what type of cv joint they managed to cram in the swingarm and if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well, given my past experience with Hondas, there is probably a good reason for the unit being so wide, and, I got a dollar that says you won't hear about a lot of final drive failures on the bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
to me it looks like the video was shot in normal screen and then stretched to fit a wide screen version, check how wide the rear tyre also looks.

Of course I could be completely wrong, but that was my immediate 1st impression.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts