BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find the "no buffet zone" !!! Can you? I swear the 4 2 Cee Bailey is much better than the stock, but, no matter what position it's in, the wind noise never goes completely away. Unless, the wind is behind me. Then I get clean air. And, yes, the ear plugs are always in use. Or, am I just spoiled coming off the LT? Yea, that's it. I am spoiled.

What's our opinion. Can you find the clean air?

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
I put about 80 miles on the stock BMW high windshield. Just enough to ride it home. My wife has added it to her collection of portable greenhouses.... all my other old windshields.

The Cee Bailey was the difference twixt night and day.

Now, are you talking buffeting or wind noise? I notice naught of buffeting, but get wind. Fact is, I prolly won't be able to smoke ceegars on the GT like I did on the LT. I don't care! The bike makes up for it.

Am having a VOX prob on the Autocomm due to wind gusts and when turning the head to change lanes.... all due to wind. Of course, I'm wearing a 3/4 Araii (see ceegar thang). Gonna try a full face and see what happens with that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it is coming off the LT more than the windshield. I sold my 2005 " Grey Moose" LT for the GT. The bike is a ton lighter, faster and better handling but I have the same CB +4 +2 as you and have the same complaint. I wear a Shoei X Eleven and use ear plugs and still have noise. The buffeting is not an issue. To me the GT is worth it, I have right at 4000 miles on it and liking it better every time I ride. :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Noise does not equal buffetting, and I suspect, like the others, that you're talking about noise.
Greg

·
Registered
117 Posts
BeemerDude said:
I can't find the "no buffet zone" !!! Can you? I swear the 4 2 Cee Bailey is much better than the stock, but, no matter what position it's in, the wind noise never goes completely away. Unless, the wind is behind me. Then I get clean air. And, yes, the ear plugs are always in use. Or, am I just spoiled coming off the LT? Yea, that's it. I am spoiled.

Having just fitted a Cee Bailey +4+2 and taken it for a 100 mile test ride, I found that the "no-buffet zone" was about 3/4 of the way up, so I could still see over the top of the screen. Yes there is still a small amount of wind noise, but absolutely no buffeting at all as used to happen at motorway speeds(!!) with the tall BMW screen. With the screen at full extension there was definite buffeting, so I lowered it until the buffeting disappeared, then a fraction more and.....peace......aaaaahh. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
New CEE Bailey Experience

Just installed a new H+5 W+ 3 windshield. I had the high windshield from BMW, worthless.

I rode at all speeds (25, 50, 75 mph) with and without a helmet (yes, we can do that in Florida).

Windshield works perfect about 3/4+ of the way up, so I can just see over the shield. I am 6'1", and had the seat sculpured to make it more comfortable.

When riding without an helmet, I just adjusted the windshield until there was absolutely "no air on my hair" ... nice and quite.

I use a new Nolan X1002 and Autocom speakers. Can not feel nor hear any wind.

I was concerned about the size of that windshield, but I am very happy with my decision.

·
Registered
71 Posts
noise

BeemerDude said:

After comming off a V-Twin(victory) with a small bug screen and riding the GT Im in hog heaven. Standard windshield and Im 5ft 8inch. Hell I was use to my helmet being sucked back and my clothes tearing after a long trip. I guess Ill get picky now that Im riding a Beemer

·
Registered
102 Posts
bridwell52 said:
After comming off a V-Twin(victory) with a small bug screen and riding the GT Im in hog heaven. Standard windshield and Im 5ft 8inch. Hell I was use to my helmet being sucked back and my clothes tearing after a long trip. I guess Ill get picky now that Im riding a Beemer
+1 Had a 21" screen and lowers on my Kingpin which was pretty nice, have a small Memphis Slim on the Classic Cruiser. The Beemer is so far beyond either setup, it is so frigging nice to ride all day and get off the bike refreshed. The little wind noise I get is nothing like the full body wind tunnel test I'm use to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cee Bailey 4+2

I found the Cee Bailey +4+2 windscreen at about 3/4 brought the wind noise and buffetting to a minimum. 6" 2" seat in the low position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 06GT was delivered with the tall BMW windscreen, as a reference the previous bike was a K12RS. Personal experience shows that it bigger and wider is not necessarily better. The RS with a stock shield in the low position, kept my 6' frame's helmet in a very clean windstream and enhanced the sensation of travel on two wheels. After 2000 miles on the GT, the bars were lowered and the factory low screen was fitted resulting in a clean airstream from the shoulders up, and a bike that truly shows its sporting personality!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts