BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
We used to think if the LCD gear indicator said 0 (zero), that meant version 5.x or earlier, and if it said "N", that meant 6.0 or later. However it appears that's not a reliable method.

The only reliable way to verify the version is hooking up the service department's GT1 programmer to your bike and inspecting it.

If your bike is totally new, it will require a 600 mi. "break in" service, you could probably wait until then. If it won't soon require service for tires or other anything else, you'd need to make a service appointment for the software check/download.

Although the official service interval (after 6,000 mi) is every 12,000 mi, I usually need new tires about every 3,000 mi. That's a good time for software updates, unless you have a significant problem.

For unknown reasons, some bikes on the same software behave differently. It's not just an owner sensitivity thing. If you're bothered by jerky, snatchy throttle, consider taking it in sooner for a software update. If you're OK with it, wait until the next service (tires or engine).

Remember when automotive oil changes were frequent and tires lasted long? Our bikes are the opposite :) We need the equivalent of a tire service station -- "change the tires and check the oil, please".

·
Registered
26 Posts
XXFirefighter said:
Just got the new K12 and just curious is all...
Will do a big write up about the bike in a day or 2...
Call your local dealer with your VIN and he'll tell you. I also have a Dos Equis. I'm curious as to how you are going to put it....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts