BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t fall in love with the bike when I first take it out, or when I hoon it, or when I ride around in the city.

It’s after a long day of doing the aforementioned, and on the way home: The absolute fabulousness of these bikes seeps through. BMWs ignorance of the rest of the industry; the purest form staying true to yourself comes through. BMW does things the way BMW does things, because BMW is BMW. It sits above the fold of everything else. I swear these bikes do not age, much like Harley.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don’t fall in love with the bike when I first take it out, or when I hoon it, or when I ride around in the city.

It’s after a long day of doing the aforementioned, and on the way home: The absolute fabulousness of these bikes seeps through. BMWs ignorance of the rest of the industry; the purest form staying true to yourself comes through. BMW does things the way BMW does things, because BMW is BMW. It sits above the fold of everything else. I swear these bikes do not age, much like Harley.
An Aerospace Engineer told me there are redundants for everything because planes can't pull over.
I've noticed that plus the usual German quality like a magnet in the stock oil drain.plug
The 1200 does have a lot of flaws only fixed on the 1300

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked mine up from the shop the other day. It had been there getting an estimate for insurance claim on cosmetic issues after dump truck blew a hydraulic fluid plug right before I hit the 10mph curve. I bought a k1600gt for longer distances with my girlfriend. Been riding it. Anyway... picked up the 1300s and 5min into the ride home, my thoughts..."this is the best piece of engineering I have ever had the privilege ride"

·
Registered
22 Posts
As I mentioned in a previous post somewhere on this forum, my K1200S is everything my Street Triple is not, and vice versa. That is why I bought it. Comfortable on the open road, good for long distances between fill ups, stable in bad weather, fun to ride outside the city. Not the best in stop and go traffic, but what is? Not the easiest to push in and out of the garage, but so be it. Clunky and awkward at times, but so am I! What I really love about the bike is it has character.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As I mentioned in a previous post somewhere on this forum, my K1200S is everything my Street Triple is not, and vice versa. That is why I bought it. Comfortable on the open road, good for long distances between fill ups, stable in bad weather, fun to ride outside the city. Not the best in stop and go traffic, but what is? Not the easiest to push in and out of the garage, but so be it. Clunky and awkward at times, but so am I! What I really love about the bike is it has character.
Hey, how is the wind protection and seating position re: long touring, in relation to the GT? Looking for my first K bike and I no I will have a lot more choices if I include the S model. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey, how is the wind protection and seating position re: long touring, in relation to the GT? Looking for my first K bike and I no I will have a lot more choices if I include the S model. Thanks
If you look closely at the photo on my profile, my K1200S has a wind deflector installed on the windshield by the previous owner. Wind protection is great when the deflector is moved up. My bike also has an aftermarket seat that is comfortable for hours, even before my hip replacements.

Bone

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's incredible how powerful marketing is. If this bike were released today, people would be up in arms about it. I can just imagine the marketing material if this came from a less dignified bike manufacturer.

When introducing this motorcycle to naïve motorcyclists, I realize how BMW truly designed this bike with a no-holds-barred approach. Kind of like the W140 S-Class. Steel-braided brake lines, cast pegs, shifters, etc. The retarded fuel strip instead of a traditional float bowl. Single-sided swingarm with shaft drive. Telelever/Duolever suspension. Servo-assisted and ABS brakes. Aluminum bolts/screws to keep the weight down. On-the-fly adjustable suspension. Camshaft-driven high-flow water pump. OBD2 diagnostics. Shit there's probably even more stuff in this bike we don't know about because it doesn't ever break!

Kawasaki has everyone up in arms over their H2 b/c it has a supercharger.... wwwwwwwwooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww.

This article could be written today, with only the reference to the Powerbook G4 dating it:

What a beast of a machine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts