BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from my friend who lives about 1.5 hours away (drove there last night). The ride is mostly through rural areas, and then enters onto a more major highway. He lives in downtown in a large metropolitan area so the last part of the ride is just shit.

I can honestly say, the ride/trip wasn’t just on the same level as a car, but actually more comfortable than any time I’ve ever driven this trip. Doesn’t matter what car. Mercedes S-Class, Bus, BMW 3-series, Pickup Truck. The K1200S eclipsed all of them comfort in all areas except maybe (for lack of a better word) my groin - courtesy of an grippy, but shitty aftermarket seat upholster.

For the entire trip, I was cruising at a steady 70 to 110mph. The outside temperature is hot as balls, and I have a heavy black-ass leather jacket.

I have an iPhone holder on the tank feeding into my in-ear headphones (Klipsch X10i - the best headphones for riding I have come across, bar none). It has never been easier for me to operate my iPhone while operating a motor vehicle, EVER (anyone wanting to bitch about this - spare me your lecture, we all do this). Red Hot Chili Peppers through the headphones. While on the outward leg, I saw rainclouds forming. I checked the weather radar and saw two thunderstorms coalescing over my intended route. Like a pilot I goosed it to squeeze in between these two fronts to my intended destination.

There was a slight overlap between my route and the rainstorm, and I got a bit of the downpour. Except for the following areas: hands, and middle right side of my stomach (where the jacket pocket is), and maybe my lower leg/jeans area, I (my person) stayed BONE DRY. For the last 10 minutes of my ride over I was out of the rain, and any areas that experienced any wetness immediately dried in the hot air.

Pilots, when they experience a tail wind, actually slow down to maximize the time spent in the tailwind and minimize fuel consumption. Vice versa they speed up when faced with a headwind to minimize the time spent in unfavorable conditions. In this same vein I conquered the rain. Despite being in the thickest of rain/thunderstorm shit, I HAULED ASS. I knew it was temporary because my iPhone told me so. The K1200S never gave me the slightest hint of losing confidence/grip/handling, else I would have immediately slowed down or taken shelter. This was also in the middle of the thick metropolitan traffic, requiring me to maneuver traffic, deal with the rain forming on the visor, and navigate by way of apple maps telling me how/where to go. Even as I type this right here, I can’t believe how effortlessly the bike pulled this stunt off. My iPhone - totally exposed to the elements on the fuel tank, didn’t elicit any concern from me.

I’ve ridden through similar conditions with my Ninja 250r way back when. I ended up wetter and more soaked than the fish in the ocean. My shoes were flooded, my helmet was flooded, my shirt was flooded, my pants, underpants, everything was flooded. Never has anyone been more wet in written history. Not so with the K1200S.

Oh I should also mention, I had the BMW sadle bags on in the back. In one saddle bag I had a towel, swim shorts, and other pool stuff. In my other bag I had my precious photography equipment. They stayed perfectly dry. I wasn’t worried at all. My backpack similarly stayed completely dry.

I. Am. Astounded. by this bike, and I’m writing this post because all I see on here is people constantly asking for help fixing these overcomplicated BMW systems, and bitching/complaining that BMW does things the way they do. This does not represent these bikes AT ALL. Simple engineering will get you maybe 80-90% of the way there, but that last 10% requires extraordinary technical development - the same amount of work as those first 90%. The servo-assisted ABS brakes make braking effortless. The suspension we all bemoan means I had excellent comfort/handling, even with the two tank bags. Then there’s all the other BMW shit in there that I don’t even know how it contributes to the overall experience. The result is the same. The K1200S/K1300S are truly a cut above the rest.

I’m astounded. This was NOT a joyride. This was NOT a cruise at 60mph on empty roads in ideal condition. This was full luggage riding through the worst conditions, and I was in more comfort and less fatigued than I’ve ever been in any car.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
353 Posts
I've owned over 40 motorcycles and my K13S is the best of all worlds. Fast, comfortable, reasonable weather protection and has never left me beside the road; of course there have been some problems but no hassle, deal with it and ride. 123,700 miles the other day. I can get on it tomorrow and ride to Texas and back with no concern. I live in Seattle, one day I was bragging to the wife and she was hassling me, said I could ride to San Francisco have dinner and be back in less than 40 hours including a good nights sleep. She lost. Dinner was good too. It was an easy ride on the big K bike.
One of the objects of these forums is to help with problems, thus the over abundance of them. It is always good to have someone say how much fun they have with the bike. My off time revolves around motorcycles, my S1000R is a kick in the butt too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2012 K1300S is the best reason for having spent nearly half a century riding motorcycles.

Not without flaws, and did leave me on the side of the road once, but for over 70,000 miles it's been some of the best riding ever and I've seriously considered buying another while I still might be able to find one with low miles.

BMW K1300S Raves, Rants and Remediation.pdf

Nonfiction

Regards,
Manfred von Blitz

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My 2012 K1300S is the best reason for having spent nearly half a century riding motorcycles.

Not without flaws, and did leave me on the side of the road once, but for over 70,000 miles it's been some of the best riding ever and I've seriously considered buying another while I still might be able to find one with low miles.

BMW K1300S Raves, Rants and Remediation.pdf

Nonfiction

Regards,
Manfred von Blitz
Raves Rants and Remediation was a really fun read. Had a huge whiff of old fart about it, but I liked it

·
Registered
37 Posts
So, Beech how does an S1000 compare to a K1300?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fried Chicken great story. I don’t really like riding in extreme heat, over 105F, but don’t mind the rain, hate fog!

Hey Beech. Love the rear lift kit I installed.

I haven’t tried the S1000R but spent some time on my son’s S1000RR, and if I liked chains and had younger joints I might go that way, but the K1300S fits me much better. Shame BMW didn’t upgrade over time, or even do a cruise control....

Did you ride down the interstate or coastal California?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fried Chicken great story. I don’t really like riding in extreme heat, over 105F, but don’t mind the rain, hate fog!
Yeah, it’s hot in the city, but as soon as you hit the country the temperature drops by 5-10 degrees. Maybe that’s just where I am. Driving through the winding roads was nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have not owned many bikes, say 5. I put 63K miles on a 2007 K12GT over 9 years and now have a 2009 K13GT. Put 8K on my BMW F800GSA this summer cross country. I agree with you on the K bikes. Like the comfort and performance. Demonstrated a k1600GTL and prefer the smaller bike. I bet an S is just a whisker more fun than the GT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts