BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pro's and con's of the 2004 K1200 GT.
I was once told if your thinking about the 2004 buy the RS?
I like the body lines of the 04 and the extra fairing protection,electronic cruise etc.
Any thoughts?
Thx

·
Registered
120 Posts
They are essentially the same bike. The GT has higher bars and a larger windshield. The GT came with painted panniers standard, and cruise control. The RS has a little more aggressive seating position, but thats about it. Buy the one that is in the best shape and the best price. Although a bit heavy, they are good, strong motorcycles that are fun to ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had two 04 GT's and I love them. I've ridden them from the DC area to RedLodge ,MT, to Vermont and lots of near by rides. I took it to Arizona in my pickup truck and put 3000 mi on it in 2 mos riding around Northern AZ with not a lick of a problem and smooth riding all the way. Now before I get all gushy about the bike, there is one big issue with them. The rear oil seal can leak and destroy the clutch and if you catch it before the clutch is affected, it costs about 75.00 for the seal and 2200.00 for labor or 3000.00 for the clutch included. Both of my bikes had this problem, but I've heard from many who own the bike that have never had the problem. The bottom line, is that the bike is a smooth and powerful machine to ride and very comfortable. Although, I would get a custom seat to increase comfort on long distances. (or an Airhawk seat topper) I wrecked my present one and bought it back from the insurance company and rebuilt it. I had to replace the radiators, valve head, cams, fairings and all the paint and stuff that comes with it. Supriseingly easy to work on. Rides great now, better than before. Just replaced the front cam seal myself and did it in one day. The bike is like that woman you lust after. It keeps taking, but the lust makes the giving back so satisfying. Overall, it is a great bike and I will own no other!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like the do dads on the GT. Heated seat and grips are great in cold weather. I will not own another bike without cruise control and I put an extended windscreen on mine to decrease wind noise. Parabellium makes one for it. The seat has two riding positions. It eats up curves and goes fast on straights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Decisions,decisions!

Thanks for the input! I have a 2000 R1100RT , and a 2005 K1200S. I've always liked the body lines on the R1100RT with the mirrors integrated into the fairing.
I've only had the 2005 K1200S since last fall but boy howdie does that bike like to move! It came with factory bags and is pretty much stock-no cruise control.
The mirrors are ok which was one of my concerns,that said I think I could get use to the GT. I really like the power of the K-Bikes so I will keep looking.
Another consideration is the range on a tank of fuel?My K1200S seems to be fairly thirsty,but I need to take some longer trips and see how the mpg average.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It’ Important to keep the oil when changed down in the lower part of the sightglass shoot for 3/16 to a quarter inch from the bottom you will not do any damage there’s plenty of oil but it keeps the pressure off the rear main seal which as mentioned can be a weak point, also change out the front and back brakes circuits with new brake fluid at a minimum every two years I do one circuit one year the other circuit the other year. Use good quality mineral-based geer oil in the rear end and the transmission. I change mine out every year. It appears that several of the approved cartridge oil filters are being made with thinner metal which causes the cup sockets to slip. I’ve had them lined mine for 60 grit sandpaper to get it off even though it’s torque correctly. I have change to K&N filter’s that have a socket fitting on their base which makes it much easier to get them out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've also heard that the use of synthetic will increase the likelyhood of the rear main seal leaking. The mechanic at Moto Ghost in Scottsdale, AZ told me that 10-40 mineral base oil would be fine for me in the mid Atlantic Region and reduce the possibility of the problem happening. Since it has happened to me twice, I will do anything to have it not happen again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2003 K1200GT - I like it Faster than I need.

The rear oil seal can leak - common.
Fuel pump, filter and fuel line inside tank - replaced.
Change the brake lines out to the steel ones - Stainless steel braided brake lines - Spiegler
I have replaced the steering stabilizer - was leaking.
Brakes and brake fluid - replace the fluid every couple years.
Front springs seal leaked.
Right now I need the rear brake serviced (disk) and the throttle bodies clean and serviced.
Fuel mileage - 32 to middle 40's if you’re lucky. @ 175 miles (I agree - start looking for fuel)
I have 65,000+ on mine.
It will cost you well more in service and parts than you have paid for it.
Moto Ghost in Scottsdale, AZ 2 thumbs up.
I ride mostly local - no long trips and I really try to keep it under 100 mph. You will find that you can really get up there quicker than you think.
I have a white helmet - several times I noticed that I was mistaken for the police :)
Have fun - stay upright.
azhirise is online now Report Post

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Have one for sale

If you really want one, I have one for sale in CT, priced to sell, low miles ( for a K bike ) and ready to ride.

In regards to the bike, I'd add that you want to replace the fuel line quick connect with an aftermarket all metal part. The OEM part degrades resulting in a massive fuel leak. I had the same problem on both of them, both times resulting in fuel spraying everywhere.

[email protected] if you are interested.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned a 2003 K1200GT which is essentially the same as the 2004. I love this motorcycle. Currently 82,000 miles. The only issues I had were: Fuel pump at 40,000 miles and a main seal which allowed oil to leak int the dry clutch area. The GT is the same as the RS with a few added features. Wind deflectors in front of the legs, wind deflectors by the hands, electric wind shield, a thicker/heated seat, electronic cruise control, and color matched saddle bags.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, prt1gue,

My '00 K12RS started showing the oil leak at the engine/tranny seal last fall. See pic below. Did a lot of reading about this and found that this is a very common problem but it is rarely the engine MRS that leaks, rather it's "THE O-RING" between the crankshaft and clutch that gets old, hard, and loses its seal. The fix is almost the same (split the bike, remove the clutch), but replace the OEM O-ring with an aftermarket Viton O-ring for a much longer lasting cure. Much info online if you look.

While you're in there, drill a weep hole for the hydraulic clutch slave cyl. Not if but WHEN the slave cyl fails, it sends DOT4 down the clutch rod to the clutch (split the bike...), plus it destroys the tranny shaft seal next to it, too. The clutch throwout bearing is part of the slave cyl piston (very small) AND it is turning with the crankshaft AT ALL TIMES the engine is running, clutch in or out. Very cheap insurance,

Might as well upgrade the voltage regulator (if you are using an AGM type battery, Odyssey PC680, WESTCO, etc) to a 14.5V ($39) to fully charge it, make it last much longer, and keep the Motorad ECU happy.

Buy the bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There shouldn’t be any oils coming out there. Take your bike out on a highway and in 5th or 6th gear at about say 50 mph gas it hard if the clutch slips you have a rear main seal leak. But if not it might just be clutch dust working it’s way out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cihm,

It doesn't slip. Yet. Have ridden it hard (trust me on that).

Had "THE O-RING" replaced in Jan this year, thought that would fix it. Can't tell if the oil is tranny or engine it's so full of road dirt. Clutch slave replaced, too. It's either the RMS or tranny seal and I'd guess the tranny at this point because it's not slipping, knock on wood. If it doesn't start slipping sooner I'll have it fixed this winter. Waaaay too much good riding weather and rallies to take it apart now!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts