BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am thinking about selling my K1200R. Not because I don't like it, love it, ride it, but I have decided to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning an airplane. It just seems like the right thing to do, selling my paid for bike to contribute to my aircraft fund. My bike has 35,000 miles on it. It has Corbin rider and passenger saddles and a Corbin Smuggler trunk when the pax seat isn't being used. These upgrades alone are worth about $2000 USD. It also has BMW Sport Panniers, a tank bag, after-market exhaust, and after-market windscreen. I put new Michelin tires on it and a new battery last summer. Since then I have only put about 200 miles on the tires. What is everyone thinking about valuation these days? Used vehicle values have gone through the roof lately with gas prices and inflation. Even when I ride with no regard for fuel economy I never get less than 38 MPG. That must be worth something to a commuter. OH and speaking of gas, my fuel guage stopped working about a year after I got the bike. I just reset trip mileage every time I fill up. The previous owner bought this bike from a BMW dealer who had performed all kinds of services and recalls (I saw the receipts). There are no current recalls associated with my VIN. Anyway, back to the meat of the subject...When I see discussions on this forum regarding price, I notice that people sometimes seem to scoff at used BMW motorcycle prices when others are asking about buying one, but let me ask you, don't we all want to get a steal of a deal, brag about it, then expect premium price when it comes time for us to sell? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this subject. Thank you sincerely!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
94 Posts
The market changes from country to country, state to state etc...keep an eye on local sales, condition and asking price.
A 16 yo bike...? Here in Oz, it'd ask maybe $OZ7k. They can be cheaper, but a documented service history is valuable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
don't most engine-powered airplanes travel at least around the same speed as K12 top speed?
Slower, actually. Cessna 172 and Piper Cherokee/Warrior are 2 of the most popular (affordable) trainers out there and both generally top out 125kt in level flight. The K12 would be faster to 130mph than either and has a higher top speed when all parties are traveling parallel to the ground, cops not withstanding.

FWIW, K12’s are going for about $US 4-7k in my area. That’s a drop in the bucket compared to what a plane is going to do to you. The plane is going to literally be 10x that in yr1. To me, it makes no sense selling the bike. The financial offset is not really there and you are only going to want another one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts