BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I'm on my fourth bike (third one that ran and I rode) which is a ZRX 1100. I've decided to sale it because I just do not like carbs and I want something fuel injected. I've always loved BMW motorcycles and Always wanted an R1100R, but then I saw a K75S I somewhat fell in love.. Only issue.. It is a 1988.. I've had bad luck with 80s bikes.

Everything I read about K Bikes says they are quite reliable as long as the splines get lubed every time you change the rear tire and that in higher temperature the fairing versions can get your thighs quite hot.

My question is.. Am I crazy to get rid of a newer bike for a bike that is almost 30 years old? I know a lot of BMWs are top-notch quality, but I just don't want to get myself in over my head like the other 80 bike I owned, though granted it was carb issues too.

Thanks in advance, hoping I can talk the guy down to a reasonable price as I have almost got my bike sold.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think you ARE crazy! Keep the newer bike or sell it and get something as new.

Frank

·
Registered
163 Posts
Fierdon said:
Currently, I'm on my fourth bike (third one that ran and I rode) which is a ZRX 1100. I've decided to sale it because I just do not like carbs and I want something fuel injected. I've always loved BMW motorcycles and Always wanted an R1100R, but then I saw a K75S I somewhat fell in love.. Only issue.. It is a 1988.. I've had bad luck with 80s bikes.

Everything I read about K Bikes says they are quite reliable as long as the splines get lubed every time you change the rear tire and that in higher temperature the fairing versions can get your thighs quite hot.

My question is.. Am I crazy to get rid of a newer bike for a bike that is almost 30 years old? I know a lot of BMWs are top-notch quality, but I just don't want to get myself in over my head like the other 80 bike I owned, though granted it was carb issues too.

Thanks in advance, hoping I can talk the guy down to a reasonable price as I have almost got my bike sold.
I do like all my BMW motorcycles but the K75S has taken me more trouble-free miles than the others. Not because the airheads will not go the distance but the "brick" with ABS and its silky-smooth engine and just-right-for-me riding position makes it my ride of choice many times. Yes it can get a bit warm in the summer traffic when the fan kicks on but it soldiers on without complaint.

You do not mention if you do your own maintenance or repairs. Like any classic bike there are known issues such as the spline lube, clutch cable and water pump seal that can cost you at the repair shop but are within the realm of the hobby mechanic. I have done them all to include the clutch cable on my way back from the MOA national rally last year. There is always a spare in my tail cone.

So if you want the reliability of a new bike, get a new bike. If you like the K75S then get familiar with the forums on what you can expect.

·
Registered
196 Posts
duckbubbles said:
I think you ARE crazy! Keep the newer bike or sell it and get something as new. Frank
I want to expand on my earlier comment-

Yes, a 30 year old bike can be reliable and trouble free- but that depends entirely on who did what to it in the intervening 30 years. I've seen lots of hacked up early K-bikes, wiring around problems, bikes kept outside in the weather, untreated battery meltdowns, and no discernible maintenance performed forever. Buying a bike like that is just the first step in disappointment, frustration and expense.

I have owned my K for 30 years, bought it new and have done ALL the maintenance and repairs through the years myself. I would trust it on a cross-country trip today. You can't say that about the majority of 30 year old scooters.

Frank

·
Registered
15 Posts
duckbubbles said:
I want to expand on my earlier comment

I have owned my K for 30 years, bought it new and have done ALL the maintenance and repairs through the years myself. I would trust it on a cross-country trip today. You can't say that about the majority of 30 year old scooters.

Frank
Like Frank, we have a 1990 K75S which has been maintained fastidiously, and is in showroom condition. It always starts first time, runs like a well oiled sewing machine - so smooth and silky. It is my wife's pride & joy, and we have ridden 2 up on it a few times - I would trust it far more than many newer bikes.
Like anything, do your homework, search around and wait till you find the owner who has lavished it with care and attention.... Then buy it and ride into the sunset.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Find one the last ones made with the 6 speed tranny and higher amp charging I think 1994 and 1995 were the last years so equipped. Oops, no 6 speed available. My mistake and I've owned three.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Durt said:
Find one the last ones made with the 6 speed tranny and higher amp charging I think 1994 and 1995 were the last years so equipped.
I am fairly certain that a six speed transmission was never available on any K75, and not on the bigger K until the K1200RS.

Frank

·
Registered
11 Posts
duckbubbles said:
I am fairly certain that a six speed transmission was never available on any K75, and not on the bigger K until the K1200RS.

Frank
You're correct Frank. My mistake.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
Lube the splines every time you change the rear tire? I've had rear tires that lasted 3,000, 6,000 and 10,000 miles.

Up to 1990 model years, the BMW maintenance schedule recommends spline lubes every year which is kind of ridiculous if you don't ride that much but I'd say 10,000 miles is a good service interval for spline lubes on early Ks. It's probably overkill doing it that often but much better than stripped splines.

In 1990 the splines were hardened and the service interval was changed to every 40,000 miles.

If a K bike starts giving you false neutrals when downshifting then this is typically a symptom of dry splines and should be addressed as soon as is reasonable.

On a K75S the thigh heat shouldn't be an issue.

Water pump seals do fail occasionally but not always. It's kind of a hit or miss thing. Change the coolant every year or two (using distilled water) and cross you fingers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts