BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike shuld be ridden not trailered.
Spotted in tonopah, NV while on my travels on my KGT '06.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Tonopah, NV., and a Florida license plate frame. Dunno...it's also a GT but it has the rectangular RS mirrors instead of the mickey-mouse ones (that didn't hit the bigger "comfort" shield on lock-to-lock turns on the GT). Rider wants visibilty, so he must do more than pose with the bike.
Might be on it's way to a new home, too.

I've had mine in a trailer when going to the track. It's easier for me to get the bike prep'ed at home for one thing (like removing the mirrors and fixing the lights), and second, if I bin it, there are a lot more people that can drive a trailer with a bike in it home for me than can ride the bike back (if conditions permitted) if I wasn't capable.

And, yes, I agree with your original premise ... it should be ridden instead. Sometimes, though, you can't always get what you want.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
That is why my trailer is enclosed :bmw:

It is interesting that they have a 2-up Motoman on the rear fender - something we created for the BMWLT community back when it was on an Egroups listserver.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it did look well ridden. I'm guessing a move for the owner prompted the trailer use.
I needed to get going and couldn't wait around to find out.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
I just got back from a week long trip up to Oregon. Didn't attend the MOA Rally, but I did see quite a few Beemers both on the way up and back. And yes, even one or two on trailers . . . :dunno:

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Never seen that brand of trailer.... Who makes it?
Nice utility trailer for haulin' the lawn tractor and "stuff" too.

Hah, just spotted the Aluma on the front quarter!

·
Registered
49 Posts
kbmwrs said:

The outfit in the picture belongs to Tim (Tallman on the BMW Sporttouring board)

He came out to the BMW Sporttouring UnRally in Topaz lake NV. Trust me, Tim is a rider. :teeth

·
Registered
84 Posts
kbmwrs said:

i'm doing the same on my way to Moto GP tomorrow... :clap:

·
Registered
498 Posts
LesterV said:
The outfit in the picture belongs to Tim (Tallman on the BMW Sporttouring board)

He came out to the BMW Sporttouring UnRally in Topaz lake NV. Trust me, Tim is a rider. :teeth
Indeed Tim is a serious rider (and friend of mine,) but he and his wife wanted to be able to maximize play time out here in the Sierra Nevadas, so they drove the truck out and rode while here. Two up takes longer than taking shifts, plus that came in very handy when Tim and I drove down to get a stranded rider (brakes). Bonus!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get it there. Several family vacations to Tennessee and the Carolinas in years past required me to trailer due to logistics; wife, two young boys, dog and tons of luggage. The dissatisfaction of trailering was well worth it when I was able to ride upon reaching my destination. Now that the boys are grown and the wife doesn't mind if I take off on the motorcycle once in a while, the trailer gets mighty lonely.

Mike

·
Registered
153 Posts
mser said:
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get it there. Several family vacations to Tennessee and the Carolinas in years past required me to trailer due to logistics; wife, two young boys, dog and tons of luggage. The dissatisfaction of trailering was well worth it when I was able to ride upon reaching my destination. Now that the boys are grown and the wife doesn't mind if I take off on the motorcycle once in a while, the trailer gets mighty lonely.

Mike
Yes, I have trailered my GT under similar circumstances. Not to mention the ride out of Florida is a boring one! ;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From the look of the bike it was no trailer queen so I knew there was a better reason. :clap:

On our stop at Torrey, UT talked with a GoldWing pilot who had several Iron Butt accomplishments and the outfitted bike to prove it. He was from Vermont.

Also talked there with a German rider on a Harley with his girlfriend on the back and another couople on another HD. Seems he lives in Indiana. friend and his girlfriend flew from Italy to Indiana, then they all flew to LasVegas and rented the HDs to tour around the desert. He bragged that they have done 2,000 in a week. I said I just did 473 miles that day. Seems his GF (dressed in the latest HD leather and frills) could only ride 20 miles before needing a break. :yeow: :spank1:

My wife brags about her stamina and a bike now, within reason of course. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Michael,
Were you riding the GT at the Best Western?
We tried to link up but our paths didn't cross.
Yes, trailering is a different tune.
The reality was that we had to get from Lake Topaz, Nevada, back home in 2 1/2 days.
Wasn't going to happen two up as it is over 2500 miles.
So, we bought the trailer.

Exciting trip.
We had a boat trailer come apart in front of us crossing the Mississippi bridge in La.
Boat ended up bow first coming straight at us, motor wheels etc. going every where.
Then in Albequerque we had to swing left into the shoulder towards the wall on ! 40 as a 16' canoe blew off a truck and blocked the lanes.
I trip and two boats in our lanes or flying at us.
So I wasn't surprised when a recliner ended up in the road in Carson City.
That time we were on the bike.
I always prefer to ride to a destination, like most of us.
If my wife has time constraints then pick her up at an airport.
We've done 6,000 mile trips that way.
She has ridden nearly 700 miles in a day with me too.
But, 2500+ was going to be too much since she had about a 5 hour turnaround before taking 15 people to Orlando for a week long conference.
Pretty great of her to even undertake the trip, IMO.
So, in general I agree.
The GT wasn't made for trailers.
However, a man has to know his limitations, and I think in this case we chose wisely.
Had a great trip, met a lot of old(via net) new friends (in person), got to ride over Monitor, Sonora passes, down to Yosemite, up and around Lake Tahoe, back over 208, 182 and some other great roads. Visited some fanatastic locales and shared them together.
That was more important to me than doing it solo.

Plus, as Richard pointed out, ironically my trailer was used to rescue stranded rider.
So, all in all, a good outcome.
Wish we had met in person.
See you down the road.
Best wishes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ray,
Good observation.
You're right, added RS mirrors back in early days.
Plus since my morning commute is often in the dark, PIAA 1100's and Motolights.
I have one 35 mile stretch thru the Nat'l Forest that has more wildlife than people.

Just had my Wilber's refreshed F/R, did my 72 K and new rubber for the trip.
I have worked part-time at a BMW dealership and moved to the K after 37 years with the Boxer.

Lurk here more than post, but make up for that over in MRN.

I've met K board members in Nova Scotia and out west, in the Smokies/Blue Ridge.

If my bags were on the bike you'd have seen this board's logo sticker.
Best wishes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
kbmwrs said:
Also talked there with a German rider on a Harley with his girlfriend on the back and another couople on another HD. Seems he lives in Indiana. friend and his girlfriend flew from Italy to Indiana, then they all flew to LasVegas and rented the HDs to tour around the desert. He bragged that they have done 2,000 in a week. I said I just did 473 miles that day. Seems his GF (dressed in the latest HD leather and frills) could only ride 20 miles before needing a break. :yeow: :spank1:
To be fair, after seeing the "passenger accommodations" on some model Harleys, she might be pretty tough to get that far! :D

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hehe, Tim after getting closer to the bike I realized it was on the trailer for a reason. It looked too ridden and with the BMW internet references everwhere I knew it was no trailer queen.
But from walking back from the Mex restaurant we spied it in the lot our first reaction was the Post topic line :D .

I bet you were glad you were in the truck when boats start flying at ya instead of on the bike. :yeow:

on another note....I was hoping to ride to Torrey for the semi-annual BMW ride there but already have other plans for that weekend this fall. I'll try again next spring. Its a great ride.

Take care.

Mike

·
Registered
144 Posts
We ate there too.
I was looking for the other GT rider but didn't "see" you.

I thought you might be heading to the UNrally, but didn't see your bike there, now I know.
Hope to see you at one sooner or later.
Best wishes.

The bike is not for sale beeeence, but thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts