BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 47,500 miles my throttle cables have worn out on my 2004 K1200RS.

I must wash the bike too much. Water gets in the cable at the grip and runs down the cable. I will now bag my handle grip area to prevent the water from getting in the cables. This model with cruise control has a second cable for return and it has an override spring inside the cable that rusts do to the water getting in. The cable became fraded at the throttle body control end.

On the bright side, the new cables that cost $100. for the set are improved with an inner slide. (they look differant than the original ones.) That may make the throttle smoother.

I will put it back together Friday.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
...and you live in Las Vegas, which is not known for its humid climate.

I wonder if the same concerns apply to the Slant 4 K-bikes?

For those who wash their bikes occasionally, do you bag your handgrips? (And yes, there are people here who don't wash their bikes.)

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
6 years and 47000 miles, I would say they were due to be replaced. I don't think water getting in there had much to do with that. Most bikes I've owned that have gotten to that level of usage needed their cables replaced,including GSs that never got washed except to sell them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
On the west coast of New Zealand we measure the rainfall in meters! About 7 meters (25ft) of rain annually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
what happened with this problem? that is i am looking at these threads because my throttle is sticking and i need a cure!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Washing the bike, riding it in the rain or just condensation from dew/fog, the source doesn't matter when you have to deal with rust. This is why you should run a couple drops of light motor oil down your throttle cables every few thousand miles. The oil is to prevent rust, not to provide lubrication.

regards,
Joe

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1plumffr said:
what happened with this problem? that is i am looking at these threads because my throttle is sticking and i need a cure!!
I took the cables off (no small task) and the cable that closes the throttle had broken strands of wire inside the cable down by throttle body.
I also found some sharp barbs on the pull open cable near the hand grip end.

Cruise control models have two cables that open or pull close the throttle, plus a cable for the cruise control for a total of three cables. When you replace the pull close cable there is an adjustment that you will have to make to the cruise control shut off switch at the throttle body. Changing that cable upsets the adjustment.
I did not know about this switch adjustment and after I installed the new cables my cruise control would not work.
I did not want to take the fuel tank off to make the adjustment so I just disconnected the wire plug to the switch. The next time I have the fuel tank off I will make the correction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts