BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Newbie here,

I seem to have a problem with either the throttle or fuelling of my K1200s. It is an `05 model which has done 10,000kms (6000 mls).

The challenge i seem to have at the minute is that when i come off the throttle after riding in the upper rpm range, the bike undergoes normal engine braking till about 2-3000rpm, then it kinda gets "hung Up" and stays at 2000rpm.The fix is to turn it off and then re-start has anyone else had this gremlin, and if so what was the fix?
I have just had the 10k service, and now the bike will not start in any gear even with the clutch pulled in (side stand up or down) but I dont think the two would be related?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Can't say I've ever seen the "hangup" issue you've described, but occasionally when I go to start the bike in gear with sidestand down (and clutch in), it won't happen until you put in neutral and lift stand.. no biggie..

Bry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bry said:
Can't say I've ever seen the "hangup" issue you've described, but occasionally when I go to start the bike in gear with sidestand down (and clutch in), it won't happen until you put in neutral and lift stand.. no biggie..

Bry
You`re right, it`s no biggie, But i`m thinking if i`m in traffic at lights, and I stall the bike, I just want to pull the clutch and hit the magic button rather than fumble around getting it into Neutral etc. I didnt have this before the service, maybe I got the upgraded flashy thing (Ver 7.0 ) and its the norm now?........I dont know.

·
Registered
236 Posts
broadside said:
You`re right, it`s no biggie, But i`m thinking if i`m in traffic at lights, and I stall the bike, I just want to pull the clutch and hit the magic button rather than fumble around getting it into Neutral etc. I didnt have this before the service, maybe I got the upgraded flashy thing (Ver 7.0 ) and its the norm now?........I dont know.
Bry and Broadside, I had the same issue on my K1200S and I suggest you consult the manual on starting procedures. It specifically states, that the following sequence:
Side stand up, pull clutch, start... I HAD the habit of pulling the clutch before I do anything. Retract the side stand first the pull. I know it sounds "nuts" but when I used that method, all my starting issues WHILE IN GEAR went away. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "Hang up" issue i had was a result of an air leak/or more to the point it was sucking in air. This meant it was running lean,and It would also cause the engine to stall after a spirited run, and for the revs to be higher than usual.A new clutch swith fixed the starting in gear deal. But Beemer your proceedure is correct

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
I wonder if it was one of the four hoses from the idle valve that was left unconnected. I can't see where any air would get past the throttle plates elsewhere. Pretty easy to do, but something that shouldn't have been missed (and probably left unconnected from a previous service).

·
Registered
324 Posts
there was a recall on the early '05 bikes that involved similar symptoms. the recall involved replacing the throttle bodies - check with your dealer (he can check your v.i.n. to see if it is part of the program).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ken is probably the most correct here (as usual). I was also told by my dealer that there is a "clinking" sound at idle that is a symptom of this fuel bar issue as well. Like Ken said, have your dealer check it out. Even if you are not on the "llist", it's still a warranty replaceable issue.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a new fueling problem. My bike is idling a little low when cold (1000rpm). It runs perfect until it warms up. Will not idle when I come to a stop.
Anything I can do without taking it to the dealer?

Greg

·
Registered
73 Posts
Fuel/Throttle problems

Broadside,

I am having similar problems only with my bike the throttle is sticking open when it is warm but not when it is cold. It manifests itself when I rev the engine and the engine stays at the highest RPM resulting from the throttle advance for about 1 to 3 seconds. This is dangerous, especially when down shifting entering a corner as the bike is staying at the same speed after the down shift. I have the bike in for servicing right now and I am also having a problem with second gear under hard acceleration either popping out of gear or slipping. Second gear has also become very notchy going to neutral or to first. I have read some posts on various boards about transmissions grenading so I hope that this is not the case. I do not ride the bike very aggressively and mostly commute on it so we will see what comes of this. I am hoping that the latest software update will fix the problem or that is something simple like a lose hose, ect. :mad:

Cheers!

Todd

·
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.
2,029 Posts
Did you guys get the 7.1 update? The wavering idle that I used to have (even with the 7.0) is completely gone, as is the exhaust backfire/popping, jerky throttle, and a host of other small annoyances that I used to suffer from. 2t

·
Registered
293 Posts
2tall2fall said:
Did you guys get the 7.1 update? The wavering idle that I used to have (even with the 7.0) is completely gone, as is the exhaust backfire/popping, jerky throttle, and a host of other small annoyances that I used to suffer from. 2t

2T do you have any inlet or exhaust mods on your bike and if you do was any special procedure used for the update by the BMW technician ?

·
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.
2,029 Posts
Lenz said:
2T do you have any inlet or exhaust mods on your bike and if you do was any special procedure used for the update by the BMW technician ?
I did the exhaust (Laser HotCam) the day after I got the bike home in March and will be doing the EVO dual intake very soon. These are all all none addressable mods that require 'nada'. Updates all download properly regardless. 2t

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
evoluzione said:
there was a recall on the early '05 bikes that involved similar symptoms. the recall involved replacing the throttle bodies - check with your dealer (he can check your v.i.n. to see if it is part of the program).
I just got a 05 bike last week - today was the first time I've been able to take it out for a proper run, & I seem to be getting this 'hangup' when backing off the throttle - comes in at about 4000 RPM - I had to brake it against the engine to force it to under the 4000 mark. then the revs will start to drop.
D'you think it could be the same problem ?? - seems a bit dangerous to me, as it robs me of a fair bit of engine braking.
I'm a bit unsure about going to the dealers this soon, as I've only done about 250 miles on it so far, so I haven't got used to it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
sidestand said:
I just got a 05 bike last week - today was the first time I've been able to take it out for a proper run, & I seem to be getting this 'hangup' when backing off the throttle - comes in at about 4000 RPM - I had to brake it against the engine to force it to under the 4000 mark. then the revs will start to drop.
D'you think it could be the same problem ?? - seems a bit dangerous to me, as it robs me of a fair bit of engine braking.
I'm a bit unsure about going to the dealers this soon, as I've only done about 250 miles on it so far, so I haven't got used to it.

You have a warranty for a reason, to protect you from these kinds of issues. If you are not satisfied with the performance of the bike, take it back and have it looked at.

By the way, I just talked to the dealer and my transmission :rotf: did indeed grenade and it is being replaced with a brand new one under warranty. I hope the new one is a lot smoother and does not CLUNK into gear like the old one did.

Cheers!

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK, I know this will be hard to believe but your airbox is probably bad. I had all kinds of weird problems with idle, stumbles, and the engine would die sometimes. I gave it to the dealer and he couldn't find anything wrong. He called BMW and they told him to change the airbox and now everything is back to normal. What happens is the airbox heats up and warps which jams the idle control motor. When you see it after it is apart you can see how this happens. The new box is stronger. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
"sticky" throttle

have a 12s 2006 with a remus can,
last year at about 3000 miles on a trip at lower speeds, the bike started lurching, and acting like the throttle bodies were "stuck". this was mainly on decelreration. over the winter i haven't ridden much, but yesterday was on a 100 mile trip , and uit started doing it again. it seems to bee after the bike is really warmed up, and when i let off the throttle, it acts almost like a 2 clyle with engine braking(yikes!).
i also remember reading somewhere that the 2005 12s had throttle body or slides issues?
so if anyone can illuminate the issue for me - much appreciated- i just joined today
anyway it goes into the shop on Saturday ---

outlander123

·
Registered
52 Posts
throttle /fuel problems

hi there -- i posted 2 days ago , i have a k12s, 2006 w/remus can-- and goofy throttle response similar to what you guys were all describoing. i took bike in for a look at, and they "re-programmed" the on board computer-- absolutely fixed it(so far) -- BMW told me it was a wierd part of ther program that caused it , and the "new " program is curative......... stay in tuned.
outlander 123

·
Registered
40 Posts
throttle /fuel problems

hi there -- i posted 2 days ago , i have a k12s, 2006 w/remus can-- and goofy throttle response similar to what you guys were all describoing. i took bike in for a look at, and they "re-programmed" the on board computer-- absolutely fixed it(so far) -- BMW told me it was a wierd part of ther program that caused it , and the "new " program is curative......... stay in tuned.
outlander 123
I have ISTA/D & ISTA/P ICOM etc.. but am curious to know what exactly is updated and how to check is this the integration level (actual)? I assume from experience it's value > integration level (plant) indicates AN update was applied but wouldn't it need to be > plant but also >=specific integration level or later which includes the "new" program? What is the integration level? Is this a program of which the DWA unlike the ABS, ZFE, KOMBI, etc only has a finite amount of times it can be reprogrammed 6 was the highest I had on my bike albeit now sits at 3 times since changing out the ABS & ZFE

·
Registered
2006 BMW k1200S
17 Posts
I had this same problem with my 2006 K1200s. Check to see if you have the later model airbox that was thicker plastic and not subject to warp under higher temps. The new airbox also requires an updated metal seated idle air control valve. After the airbox upgrade your local stealership can upload the updated software that goes with the new airbox (30 minutes labor). If you need a copy of the technical bulletin from BMW on this upgrade drop me a PM. If you really want to read the 42 pages of forum text that summed this all up from iBMW Forum back in 2006-2010 I can probably dig that up too.

I also tend to give my throttle a bit of a rap before I come to a stop. All this has for the most part fixed my idle issue with it only occuring on one single route I take in the mountains of Oregon that I cannot seem to nail down (??). My bike only starts in neutral.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts