BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fortunate to have a loner 'S' for the past 3 weeks while my K12RS is in for service..very nice of my dealer (Hermy's). However In those 3 weeks I 've had the opportunity to ride the 'S' more than most demo riders can or should..thus I've experinced some things that I didn't as normal experince with the K12RS, such as the cold stating issue and very touchy throttle response. I have read that the cold start issue can be overcome by holding the throttle open slightly and at the same time press the start button..annoying but workable. However the throttle deceleration seems to be abit abrut at slow turning speeds, where there is slight 'pogoing' as a result of trying to manipulate the throttle smoothly. Is this a common issue as well?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I don't have any cold starting issues on my 05 and the new software 5.1 is supposed to correct the low speed twitchy throttle issue.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Have none of those problems. Twitchie throttle, can be that the cables not adjusted right. Also new bikes are much less smooth than ones with some miles.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Adjusting the throttle slack helped alot, twitchiness still there however below the 1500 rpm range.

My service man said he'll do the software upgrade for me next time I bring it in.

So, we'll see...

·
Registered
896 Posts
FWIW I think of 3K rpm as a bottom redline.. Bike really doesn't like to run below that. High compression, high horsepower.. it's a wild stallion let her rip !!! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cold weather starting

In the manual it suggests that the throttle is opened slightly to aid starting in cold conditions. Had to do this today with mine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Muddy said:
In the manual it suggests that the throttle is opened slightly to aid starting in cold conditions. Had to do this today with mine.
I don't think it was referring to 65 F.

·
Registered
407 Posts
aa3jy said:
I am fortunate to have a loner 'S' for the past 3 weeks while my K12RS is in for service..very nice of my dealer (Hermy's). However In those 3 weeks I 've had the opportunity to ride the 'S' more than most demo riders can or should..thus I've experinced some things that I didn't as normal experince with the K12RS, such as the cold stating issue and very touchy throttle response. I have read that the cold start issue can be overcome by holding the throttle open slightly and at the same time press the start button..annoying but workable. However the throttle deceleration seems to be abit abrut at slow turning speeds, where there is slight 'pogoing' as a result of trying to manipulate the throttle smoothly. Is this a common issue as well?
Came from a KRS and have no low RPM or touchy throttle issues, nor is there any cold start problems. Just returned from a 22f degree ride :).
2005 KS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts