BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I've started tidying up the rear end and that licence plate hanger that I think comes from some sort of mining vehicle.

My efforts can be seen here:
http://madhouse.selincite.com/~jocke/k1200r_tail/

My initial thought was to put the licence plate on a hinge of some sort so that I could still access the seat key hole. But I've not found any good solution for that, so I'm going to, initially, settle for putting the plate as far up as possible. I think I'll also get a plate that's about 1" smaller...
I'm planning on hanging the plate by using two pieces of aluminium flat "bars". I'm going to attach them to the back of the "lip", then bend them into a U-shape so they go upward, and then attach the plate to that. This way I should be able to angle the plate like I want, and put it as far up as I want.

I'm also pondering if I should put on a set of smaller indicators, as the BMW ones are nice, but a bit too large.

The biggest problem I have is the holes left by removing the pillion grab rails.. I've got no good looking solution for this. Tips are very welcome! :)

We'll see where this ends up :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I too...

looked at putting the plate over the BMW emblem at the rear but couldn't come up with a design I liked but you've made good start- but I'm not really picturing your placement of the plate from your discription. looking forward to seeing your solution. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plate hanger description

It's a bit difficult to describe - let me give it another shot... :)

In picture 03_k12r_tailpiece_start.jpg you can see two holes, one at the level of the BMW badge, the other one at the level of the seat lock. There's similar holes on the other side of the badge/lock.
The plan is to attach one aluminium bar on each side of the badge/lock. They'd be attached on the back side (towards the front of the bike). The aluminium bars would point straight down. That's until I'd bend them to look like a U-shape (from the side). I.e they'd be bent from the back (front of bike) of the hanger to the other side - up towards the lock. This way I'd be able to locate the licence plate in "any" angle, and at "any" vertical position. Simply by bending the bars and then cutting and drilling them to suit the plate. The plate would not be fastened to the plate-hanger-lip at all (except through the bars going to the back.

I've made an "artists impression" :D to illustrate...

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
I see..

thanks for the illustration, make sense now...could you use springs, small bungees cords attached to the front side of the alum brackets that would then allow the plate to slide down when needing to access the lock area? just a thought...look forward to your solution. Northern Monkey, are you going to do something simular to your Powercup replica?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good work and keep us posted. I'm hoping someone will come out w/ and aftermarket solution to the pile of plastic hanging off the back.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ignore Amos said:
thanks for the illustration, make sense now...could you use springs, small bungees cords attached to the front side of the alum brackets that would then allow the plate to slide down when needing to access the lock area? just a thought...look forward to your solution. Northern Monkey, are you going to do something simular to your Powercup replica?
Aaha..... springs there now, that's a good idea...

*sound-of-cogs-turning* :D

Can't wait for work to finish so I can go home via DIY store to fix this :ricky

·
Registered
39 Posts
TheJoker said:
The biggest problem I have is the holes left by removing the pillion grab rails.. I've got no good looking solution for this. Tips are very welcome! :)
You could fit an Ilmberger carbon fibre rear light cover without the holes for the hand grips - when they are available, which will be soon!!

sandbar (just up the road from you)
www.sandbarcomposites.co.uk

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spent a very long time trying to find something "springy" in the DYI shops near me yesterday, and the only two close-to-viable ideas that I came up with were.
a) Some elastic bungee rope
b) a drain unblocking spring

:wtf

Not very good.... That's all the progress I've made... :(

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sandbar said:
You could fit an Ilmberger carbon fibre rear light cover without the holes for the hand grips - when they are available, which will be soon!!

sandbar (just up the road from you)
www.sandbarcomposites.co.uk

Sandbar - I know of your products from my previous GS-life.... MMmmm tasty... :) And pricey... ;) :D

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sportrider said:
What about mounting the tag to the left-hand passenger foot peg bracket, or would you see problems with clearance on left handers?
Not a completely crazy idea :)
However, I think I'll pass on it for a few reasons.
The legal UK plate is huge and I'd kind of need to accommodate for that as I don't want to give the police yet another reason for pulling me over (I might get a smaller plate, but not by much).
My intention is also to remove the pillion footpegs, so there wouldn't be a hanger there anyway.

:ricky

·
Registered
221 Posts
Licence mount

I removed the outer bracket ( one with reflectors 3 screws 0 and made an aluminum plate the same size as the licence. use the original 3 screws to mount the plate to the bike. mount the licence to the aluminum plate. I used LEDs to light the plate for legality. You could drill a couple of small holes in the black plate under the tailight. on the bikes for the rest of the world that plate is clear. Whole job is pretty easy. I did it so I could get my big hands on the seat key. But it looks good also.
H

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some progress

Righty-ho...

I've updated the page with pics (http://madhouse.selincite.com/~jocke/k1200r_tail/ ).

I bent the bars, almost as I thought it'd go, except for up, I bent them down. I didn't do any sliding mechanism as I couldn't find any proper way of doing that.

The Result... erhmm... Not completely pleased as the plate isn't far enough up and it's generally sticking out too much at the rear. :eek:

I'm now thinking of cutting the little lip with the BMW badge off too... and putting the plate below the key hole, and perhaps a bit further forward. On top of that I've ordered a smaller plate (-1" both height and width), which should tidy it up a bit more.

It is better tho, but not as cool as I want it to be... :p

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Version 2 - The Dremel Attack!

Guys,

I'm now quite happy with the result :D

http://madhouse.selincite.com/~jocke/k1200r_tail2/

I let the Dremel do the talking and together with my new 1" smaller plate and my new smaller indicators, the result is quite nice... :)
I cut off most of the lip that's hanging down, well in fact, I cut it all off... Then I positioned the indicators above the original holes. I also had to build a cover for the seat lock as it got exposed from all the material I took off.

On top of all this I painted some of the tail-light black as I don't like that BIG RED BABOONS... erhm... well, ... Much better this way...

Whadya think?

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Much better!

Your project turned out very nicely! (too bad ya'll have those huge plates!) can you show what it looks like under the plate?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ignore Amos said:
Your project turned out very nicely! (too bad ya'll have those huge plates!) can you show what it looks like under the plate?
Thanks! :)

Is this (first pic) what you wanted to see..?

I also attached a pic of the tail unit and the alu-bars disassembled. I'm thinking of painting the bars black so they don't stand out as much, black nuts/bolts/washers would be nice too... but I think that's taking it a step too far... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I managed to take some pics in the daylight yesterday. You can now see the bike much better than in a dark garage. IMO the tail is much nicer this way. I'm still going to put the small indicators on at the front too.

Full set of images are located here:
http://madhouse.selincite.com/~jocke/k1200r_static_outside/

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
TheJoker said:
I managed to take some pics in the daylight yesterday. You can now see the bike much better than in a dark garage. IMO the tail is much nicer this way. I'm still going to put the small indicators on at the front too.
QUOTE]

Yep, tail look much better now. Hmmmmm, another thing to do this long weekend. . . . :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts