BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I currently ride an '04 K 12 GT. I bought it new and love my ride. But I think it's time for an upgrade and am seriously considering the K 13 S. I really like the "special" 2015-2016.

Any recommendations from fellow riders? Anyone trade up from the classic?

Thanks in advance for your input

Brian

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
588 Posts
Just out for a ride today on my K13S bike. It is a wonderful bike. Not so cheap to maintain if you do not do your own work but it is a whopper. Find one and buy it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 K1300S Anniversary Edition
6 Posts
There are Anniversary Editions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2015 K1330s, purchased new in late 2014. I traded up from a much older bike 91985 K100rs) I bought new, so a huge jump for me.

I certainly love this beast - it's quite an amazing machine. Super easy to drive slow or fast. It's incredibly civilized, and the power and traction management are lifesavers considering the ridiculous amount of power.

It is expensive to maintain, no doubt. It also needed a few items to make it complete. The first of those was a booster plug to address the hole in acceleration at 5000 rpm and to make the engine predictable at low throttle openings. The second was the installation of the hot start fix kit. A few more little things make the bike a lot more usable. I added a center stand, which certainly came in handy on the road when I had a flat tire it nothing else. (I actually don't use it that much, while on my K100rs I used it 100%). I added a Fiam horn so my muted meeps became more of a beep. And $12 grip puppies made those narrow, hard grips much more comfortable. The grip warmers still work through them too. I added a tank bag, and the sport luggage and the little tail rack to have a (small) bit of storage capacity. Changed out the seat for a heated Corbin (which I wish had 1/4 inch more padding now.) Added a back rest for my wife, who (reasonably) wouldn't have ridden it otherwise. Also added a pair of switched outlets in the fairing.

The stock tires didn't last 3000 miles, and I've been running Pirelli Angel GT's ever since. Currently on a pair of GT version 2.

More pics here, including some of the component installation.

·
Registered
136 Posts
2006 K1200S; Laser slip-on, bar risers, foot pegs lowered, carbon battery cover, tail section, rear wheel hugger, clutch cover guard. Rim stripes, Booster Plug, float fuel sensor. Heated grips.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love my 2013 30th Anniversary Edition. It's a really nice streetable sport bike, useful power coupled with handling and comfort to make for a great experience on the street. I used to race at the track and after that, taking a super sport bike on the street just seems ridiculous now. The K1300S is a nicely refined version of the K1200S and is a very well developed platform, especially in it's later years.

There are a few notable upgrades worth considering but the bike is an excellent performer right out of the box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts