BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my new Harbor Freight tire changer together last night. As per some of our previous guest helpfull hints, I bolted it directly to the concrete floor with some anchors. Bead breaker works nice, but the actual wheel holder part is a little tricky gripping the wheel.
I had put some cloth over "grippers" and it was hard to see where they actually were when tightening wheel down. Plus, I would be very careful when doing the tightening down part, I am sure that "corkscrew" thingy exerts a lot of pressure if you have "Gorilla" hands like mine. Guess there is no hurry as today it is 35 degrees (yesterday 65), crazy.

·
Registered
281 Posts
1200GTosprey said:
Put my new Harbor Freight tire changer together last night. As per some of our previous guest helpfull hints, I bolted it directly to the concrete floor with some anchors. Bead breaker works nice, but the actual wheel holder part is a little tricky gripping the wheel.
I had put some cloth over "grippers" and it was hard to see where they actually were when tightening wheel down. Plus, I would be very careful when doing the tightening down part, I am sure that "corkscrew" thingy exerts a lot of pressure if you have "Gorilla" hands like mine. Guess there is no hurry as today it is 35 degrees (yesterday 65), crazy.
Find some pieces of leather or cut up a leather glove for the gripper covers. That will protect pretty well.

George

·
Registered
264 Posts
Jeff,
I bought a harbor freight wheel changer too but have yet to use it. Hopefully within the next week or so as my rear tire is becoming thin in the middle. I'll let you know my experience.

I have a link to a good site with photos demonstrating the use of this wheel changer but I can't find it right now. I will eventually.

I plan to make a wheel balancer similar to the parnes wheel balancer so I need a little time to make that too. I've bought wheel weights and 90 degree metal valve stems off of e-bay, along with some plastic rim protectors so I'm about ready to go.

I'll post my results.

--Jerry

·
Registered
150 Posts
You can cut up a bicycle inner tube and use tie wraps to hold them in place on the grippers. Also you can cut up a 2 liter soda bottle and use the plastic strips to help preserve your rims when using the lever. You can buy rim savers, but they are much thicker than the bottle plastic. It is better to get real tire lube too. It is cheap and easy to find at Pep Boys, etc. It can be helpful to use some of those $,99 spring clamps that are at the checkout counters of Lowes and Home Depot on the bottom of the wheel to keep the lower bead in the center of the wheel. Just put the clamps on the rim and the tire won't fall into bottom of the rim. The one thing I know. If you are having to fight it, back up and start over. Done right it goes pretty smoothly.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have been using the HB tire changer for 1 1/2 years with out problems. I used the liquid plastic on the wheel clamps and even if some of the plastic rubs off on the wheel it comes right off with alcohal. The bead breaker wors great and I throw a rag over the changer where the wheel sets for protection and a 2x4 under the other end of the wheel so the wheel/tire is even off the ground. I use plastic strips cut from clothes soap bottles as rim protectors and the HB bar to remove the tire. I put the tire back on with spoons. Use plenty of tire slick stuff and the job is made easy. I bolt mine to a 4 ft x 4 ft x 1/2 in pc of plywood because my garage is worse than over filled.
If I did more than 8 to 15 sets of tires a year I would try to invest in a nice set up but with changer, adapter and tire spoons I have $80 invested. My Handy tire balancer was $140 but I couldn't get a cone to fit the beemer wheel so I had to but the Marc Parns(?) balancer for the GT.
Later == Bobby

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
mount demount bar

bmwsporttouring forum used to have a downloadable drawing of the wikco style mount demount bar, I made one with delrin ends that works great with my Harbor Freight Changer, mine is bolted to the floor also and I welded the bolt together joints so its much more rigid. I have changed 4 sets on the k so far have yet to mar a rim. The no mar model would be nice but for my own use the price is a little prohibitive. Made a balance ala Marc Parnes style also and have been pleased with the results.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Protectors......

Stephejl said:
Jeff,

I plan to make a wheel balancer similar to the parnes wheel balancer so I need a little time to make that too. I've bought wheel weights and 90 degree metal valve stems off of e-bay, along with some plastic rim protectors so I'm about ready to go.

I'll post my results.

--Jerry
I'm not an engineer, but that balancer is quite a precise instrument. Unless your real good, I'd buy one. Just a thought. Plus, I came across these, hope pic goes thru.
http://www.bobsbmw.com/parts_accessories/pit_stop.html My buddy uses cut up pieces of plastic milk jugs, double up.

Attachments

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
balancer

actually track balancers use an axle rod on two bearing suspended in yokes by strings and do quite fine job, making the cones concentric is the only hard part. straight shaft for the axle and some kind of bearing for it to ride on. Not really to hard to make

·
Registered
264 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
I'm not an engineer, but that balancer is quite a precise instrument. Unless your real good, I'd buy one. Just a thought. Plus, I came across these, hope pic goes thru.
http://www.bobsbmw.com/parts_accessories/pit_stop.html My buddy uses cut up pieces of plastic milk jugs, double up.
Actually, I am an engineer and a "real good" machinist. I just finished the lathe work today and eveything is concentric within .0002. The bearing to shaft fit is within .001 and the cones fit on the shaft with the the same tight tolerance. Going thru a divorce right now, I don't have much time but I have even less money and working in the shop is cheap "therapy".

I'll have the finished product done sometime this weekend and I'll post pics.

I bought some rim protectors just like those on ebay. Glad to know that Bob carrys them in case I need some more.

Cheers,
Jerry

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jerry......

Going thru a divorce right now, I don't have much time but I have even less money and working in the shop is cheap "therapy".

Cheers,
Jerry[/QUOTE]

Been thru two (2). Rather have the Beemer. Sex not that important anymore, riding is.
Good Luck, hang in there.

·
Registered
264 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
Been thru two (2). Rather have the Beemer. Sex not that important anymore, riding is.
Well, I haven't given up on sex, plan to start "dating" again in March/April when I get back on dayshift at work. However, there are some clear advantages to the BMWs. Neither of my bikes ever says a bad word about me, especially in front of the kids. They don't mind if I want to wake them up in the middle of the night for fun. And neither of them seems to mind the other. They seem to understand that it is important to have at least two for those days when one of them doesn't feel like playing for some reason...

--Jerry

·
Registered
828 Posts
What!!!

RedHawK12GT said:
WHAT!!! Are you sick man? I do understand this bike is great therapy, but it no replacement for the look in a womens eyes as you are... well you can fill in the rest!

And from "Leave it to Beaver"

Wally, "Glad to have Beaver around"
Beaver, "Gee, thanks Wally!"

ONON-
Mark

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
tire changer mods

I have the Harbor freight changer but it is slightly modified as I said in earlier posts here are some photo's. The feet that grab the rim have a aluminum gripper added to them with a nylon insert where the rim sits and a rubber pad where it grips. There is a big plastic set screw outboard of the rim that I have adjusted to keep the grippers parallel. The center post is a 1/2" core pin with a copper rod that runs over it into the wheel center to hold it down. The nylon sleeve with the grooves guides the bars without rubbing the brake rotors or rims. the whole thing is welded up to be solid and not flex. The bar end is a copy of the Wikco brand made out of nylon and aluminum its only 24 inches long as no more leverage is needed for our tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ok. I finally finished my wheel balancer. It's loosely patterned after Marc Parnes' balancer, although I've never seen one, just his website. I added a compression ring to keep the cones pressed into the bearing, o-rings in o-ring grooves to keep the end bearing assemblies from falling off, fancy knobs, and dual taper cones. The smaller taper is 45 degrees to match the wheel bearing chamfer. The larger taper is 30 degrees to match the rear wheel. Oh, yeah, all the screws are stainless steel socket head capscrews that I put brass tips on.

After I finished the cones I realized that I should have made them out of stainless steel. I have plenty of it laying around. In fact, this is the first project I can say that I completed totally w/o a single trip to the hardware store or scrap yard for material.

I'll try to attach a photo.

Now that I've got the balancer made, I'll be starting to use the HF tire mounter. I've got a feeling I'll be making quite a few "No Mar" modifications to the HF device.

Cheers,
Jerry

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts