BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Metzler Z6 on my 03 GT . I just installed a new front but was wondering . Anybody out there mix your tire manufacturer ?
I am considering the AVON but would initially have to mix before I match them.
What do you mix and your experience with it .

Thanks

·
Registered
828 Posts
tire wear

I haven't had the chance. My tires usually wear pretty well together. The front probably could get another couple thousdand miles out of them, but then the performance would suffer. I do keep a half worn set around just in case I get a blow out or pick up a nail half way through the tire life.

As for mix and matching - Never really thought about trying. I think I would perfer to keep to the same make/model for the front and the rear. Not really daring, but it just one less decision I have to make.

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
377 Posts
Billy_B57 said:
I have Metzler Z6 on my 03 GT . I just installed a new front but was wondering . Anybody out there mix your tire manufacturer ?

Thanks
Billy, On my way to BRPR with standard Metzlers front and rear I had to be towed to a Honda dealer, where he put a new radial Dunlop on the front to replace the Metzler, which abruptly disintegrated at 4,500 miles and put me on the side of the road. The Dunlop was a "meatier" looking tire anyway, and I liked the looks of it. I've detected no difference since except for a slightly heavier feel to the steering at low speeds.

I've put about 4,000 miles on the odd couple since, including a fast run up to the Deal's Gap Rally, and without a problem of any kind.

Still got my MoTow membership too, and will keep it as long as I ride. I had signed up just two days before I left on the trip! They were great.

·
Registered
969 Posts
mixed

I have the original Bridgestone on the rear and the dealer put a Michelin Pilot Road on the front when the original front had a cupping problem. I didn't notice the different tire until a couple thousand miles later when I was looking for the size. It doesn't seem to be a problem at all. Of course, I was too stupid to notice the difference when the work was done. I'll put a Pilot on the rear when the Bridgestone needs replaced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Last summer, on my RS, I had to replace the aft tire. Mounted a MEZ6 aft and kept the MEZ4 in front... this was done in Italy, however on my way back home to Norway..coming into Germany and some real speed, I experienced a slight 'wobble' from front at speeds above 180 kmph. Replaced front with MEZ6 too, 'wobble' disappeared....and just to have it mentioned, nothing conserning tire-pressure was due this...actually I think that that comdo of MEZ4/front and MEZ6/aft was not good....bike was rather 'good loaded' with luggage as of two-up.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have run a Sporttec M1 front with a Z4 and Z6 rear, works great. Evens up the wear to a 1-1 ratio

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree you need the stickier one up front. I've been using a Pilot Sport on the front with, initially, a Dunlop 220 and now the Z6. Was much mor stable, and better turn-in than D220 front and rear. Haven't tried Z6 front and rear but will try that next. Nice thing about the K12RS, you get to try out a lot of tires!!
Theresa wore out her rear Z4 and was not able to get another so we switched front and rear to Z6 as they are stickier than the 4's. Life's challenging enogh without the front end sliding out!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Tires.....

Billy_B57 said:

Thanks
I am saying from experience, but, not having my Beemer that long can only try and advise. Of all my bikes (Honda ST1100, 1200 Suzuki's, 1100 Suzuki's, 750 Suzuki, Yamaha 750 triple "E" shaft, etc... ) I have always been anal and replaced both tires at once. Always the same brand also. Metzeler's have always been my favorite, Conti's used to be. When it comes to a Metzeler Z6 rear, and M4 front, I don't know? never tried it. Years ago Dunlop K91's?? used to be THE tire. I changed over to Continentals, then Metzeler's and these made the Dunlop's feel like tractor tires (lawn tractor).

·
Registered
250 Posts
I found myself with a mixed set on my 03 GT for a while. A Metz on the front and a Dunlop on the rear. Suffered no real ill affect from the mixed bag of tires and ran it that way till they were both trash. Not an ideal situation, but its not a perfect world huh? I'm thinking the Dunlop was a D208? Not for sure anymore. I do remember not being real impressed with it. It did not seem to hold the road in a way that inspired a lot of confidence and did not wear well at all. Do get the Avons on your bike when you can. You will be impressed I think. Very sticky tires, good performance in rain and they last a while.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mixing Tires

One of the guys working at Southwest Moto Tires said he ran different brands on his bike all the time. Maybe it was just a sales pitch since they didn't have exactly what I wanted on that particular day I ordered. Who knows, I don't think the bike does?

But I have run Pilot Road and Metz 880 rear, and MEZ4 and Z6 front with no problems. Finally I have matching Z6's.

·
Registered
68 Posts
mix and match tires.

I've never done this except in the old days when I was riding Harleys. I've always heard it was a bad idea so I've just never considered doing it. I even have had layovers until after the shops open during the week because I didn't want to mix and match. I do know that different tires grip differently in the rain etc. Cannot imagine that is anything I'd care to try to get used to. No thanks, I'll run the same front and rear thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My favorite combo on my prior bike (ST1300) was a Z6 front and ME880 rear. They wore at a 1:1 ratio and the grip was fine. My K1200RS currently has a Z4 front and Z6 rear. When those tires are toast, I may go with the Z6/880 combo again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts