BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Approaching 5,000 miles on my original B-stones - time to replace. Based on feedback here going with Michelin Pilot 2 - my questions: Where to buy and how much to pay for mounting and balancing? Also, is it classless to buy elsewhere and then take to dealer to install? Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Monte,

I would check with the shop you will have the tires mounted at. A number of shops will flat out say no to installing tires they dont sell. Its bu!!$hi+, but it is their shop their rules.

Good luck,

Paul

·
Registered
414 Posts
You can order the tires here http://www.swmototires.com/ . As for mounting them, I can't help you with prices, as I mounted mine myself. If you are gonna order the tires, and not mount them youself, it would be much cheaper if you removed your wheels, and took the wheels and new tires to any bike dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
El_Barto said:
Monte,

I would check with the shop you will have the tires mounted at. A number of shops will flat out say no to installing tires they dont sell. Its bu!!$hi+, but it is their shop their rules.

Good luck,

Paul
Ditto this if you buy your own tires elsewhere and want a dealer to mount them.

I've gone this route and got the:

"We won't mount a tire not knowing what the other brand is on the bike."
"We'll do it, but you may have to wait a few days until we get to it."
"Yeah, we'll do it for $50 each, but we don't balance BMW wheels 'cause we don't have an adapter."
"Do we look like a BMW dealer?"
"Why should we mount tires you bought cheaper somewhere else?"
"We don't do mixes and matches. You buy the same model/brand at the same time."

I do my own now after buying a few irons, a can of Yamaha Tire Mounting Lube, and a Marc Payne's balancer.

Mack

·
Registered
302 Posts
Find a local guy that just purchased a "No-Mar" and he might be willing to set it up and test it for your tires. My dealer doesn't carry PR2s but I do believe they mount if you bring your tires in.

I mount my own with homemade tire changer like no-mar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts