BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The spec rear tire size for my K1300S is 190/55/17.
Would it be bad to use a 200/55/17 tire?
There is about 15mm clearance to the shaft arm and control arm so, physically it will fit and still have plenty of clearance as I would only lose 5 mm.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
529 Posts
Here is what Revzilla says about it:
" Wide tires are not necessarily better. They usually “turn in” worse than a skinnier tire of the same make and model, and usually hurt fuel mileage. The common alteration of mounting a wider rear tire may make the bike harder to steer, even unpleasantly or unsafely so.
While wider tires rarely provide performance advantages, some tire manufacturers do offer their own “plus sizing” recommendations, by listing tire sizes larger than stock that are confirmed to fit a certain size rim".
This is in line with years of posts I have read about it also. It will be heavier also, messing with your suspension. I'd concentrate on a quality tire that you like of the spec size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, it seems that the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tire is no longer available in 190 width. Only 200. And I don't want the Corsa II.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Michelin Road 5 comes in a 200. are you running a stock exhaust? If so a 200 will possibly be very if not too close to the exhaust.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I fitted a 200 Pirelli to my k12R and found that the gap between the tyre and swing arm (?) was only about 10mm. To small to allow stones to pass through without damage to the tyre or swing arm. I went back to a 190

1 - 7 of 7 Posts