BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled up to a gas station and noticed that my rear tire was a little low on air. I took out the gas station air hose and............ I couldn't get it to fit onto the tire stem due to the tightness, angle and general lack of space.

Is this insane?? :confused:

How do you all fill the tire? Do you all have right angle stems on your tires?

I am slightly baffled...

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
166 Posts
That hasn't been a problem for me.

I don't think you can use 90 deg stems unless you brace them (as is done with Goldwings) or keep under a certain speed. The offset weight will cause them to bend and break or pop out at speed. Not good!

You might try a 90 degree adapter that you put on only when you fill the tires. Or try another gas station.

But to be honest, I'm having difficulty seeing where you would have a problem on the rear. The front can be tricky due to the disk brakes on both sides. But the rear is wide open.

-hank

·
Registered
686 Posts
What he said. DO NOT leave the 90 degree angle thingy on. IT WILL
take out the valve stem. I haven't had the problem though. Maybe the 5.5
inch wheel stem is harder to get to?

best,

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just installed right angle valve stems on one of my bikes. I haven't mounted the tires and ridden them yet. Several people suggested that they thought they would break so I did a quick stress analysis and given some guesses on weight and wall thickness of the tubing, I concluded eveything would be OK. Now I hear that "you can't do it" again. So I searched the web and could find no reports of a valve stem failing or anybody saying you can't do it other than the heresay reports that keep showing up here.

So has anyone ever actually had a valve stem failed or SEEN the failed valve stem? No reports of a friend of a brother in law's boss who had it happen to him please.

Thanks,
Jerry

Here is a photo of the ones I installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Stephejl said:
I just installed right angle valve stems on one of my bikes. I haven't mounted the tires and ridden them yet. Several people suggested that they thought they would break so I did a quick stress analysis and given some guesses on weight and wall thickness of the tubing, I concluded eveything would be OK. Now I hear that "you can't do it" again. So I searched the web and could find no reports of a valve stem failing or anybody saying you can't do it other than the heresay reports that keep showing up here.

So has anyone ever actually had a valve stem failed or SEEN the failed valve stem? No reports of a friend of a brother in law's boss who had it happen to him please.

Thanks,
Jerry

Here is a photo of the ones I installed.
Jerry,
Eric was talking about the 90 degree 'thread-on' adapters not the steel or alloy 90 degree valve stems. I have a couple of the 45 degree valve stems on my 'other' bike and they work great.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I got them on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tire...42614QQitemZ8034711790QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

There is junk on ebay and there is name brand quality merchandise. These seem to be pretty much in the middle--well made but no branding. Since I have two extra, I may do some destructive testing instead of putting them on the other bike right now. However, holding one in my hand again I note that the wall thickness is beefy--about .065" with a .300 od. They are also semi magnetic making me think they are stainless steel under the chrome. In comparison, 5000 psi ss tubing has a wall thickness of .049". I'm starting to stop worrying again.

--Jerry

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
angle stems

How did these fit in the hole I thought ours were bigger than .453, Curious, I would like to install them on mine if they fit. Thanks Don

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Relating specifically to the right angle fit in rim when tyre changed stems, NOT extensions, I was told when they did research under vibration and rotation that valve inserts can loosen by unscrewing. However, this was less likely if the stem was horizontal. This could be a load of bull***, but some mathematician might try working it out.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
264 Posts
dkeven said:
How did these fit in the hole I thought ours were bigger than .453, Curious, I would like to install them on mine if they fit. Thanks Don
.453 is the right size for our hole. The raised bead behind the valve stem in the photo got in the way a little on the rears so milled it down flat. However, I think it would have been fine. With all the discussion here I wanted to make sure I had the install perfect. If it is in the way on your wheel and you don't have a milling machine you can use a file. Here is a photo of the rear install.

==Jerry

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
looks good

thanks for the info I will order a set to evaluate, Don

·
Registered
264 Posts
bmwmick said:
Jerry,
Eric was talking about the 90 degree 'thread-on' adapters not the steel or alloy 90 degree valve stems. I have a couple of the 45 degree valve stems on my 'other' bike and they work great.

Yes, I understand the difference and agree with you completely that you have to take the adapters off--especially on rubber valve stems. I was responding to another post. Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
486 Posts
Stephejl said:
I got them on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tire...42614QQitemZ8034711790QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

There is junk on ebay and there is name brand quality merchandise. These seem to be pretty much in the middle--well made but no branding.
--Jerry
Jerry,

Thanks. I ordered a pair. These are much cheaper that others I found on the net. As long as they work, I'll be satisfied. In the long run these will pay for themselves cause the dealer/mechanic always changes my valve stems and charges $3 or $4 plus tax each time.

·
Registered
522 Posts
90 degree stems

I recently had my wheels powder coated so I purchased some 90 degree stems from motowheels.com 11970-pair Ariete Aluminum Valve Stems (Japanese wheels) Color,Silver (11.3) $37.68/pr

When I got ready to mount them on my wheels i realized there was a small lip on the rim that runs right next to the 11.3mm hole for the valve stem. If I had seen it before I would have filed it down B4 I had the wheels coated. These prevent the stem from lying flat. I sold them on ebay last week and all I could get for them $5. What a deal for the buyer.

·
Registered
264 Posts
tward said:
I recently had my wheels powder coated so I purchased some 90 degree stems from motowheels.com 11970-pair Ariete Aluminum Valve Stems (Japanese wheels) Color,Silver (11.3) $37.68/pr

When I got ready to mount them on my wheels i realized there was a small lip on the rim that runs right next to the 11.3mm hole for the valve stem. If I had seen it before I would have filed it down B4 I had the wheels coated. These prevent the stem from lying flat. I sold them on ebay last week and all I could get for them $5. What a deal for the buyer.

Wish I'd seen them. BTW, anybody in SoCal who wants me to machine their rim like mine above just needs to bring it and two beers by the house. Preferably w/o the tire and preferably before any planned powdercoating!!!

What color did you powdercoat them? I've got a black front wheel on my R11RS and I'm thinking I'll paint the rear one black too. Doesn't show brake dust...looks good with the blue.

--Jerry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts