BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one know when to replace tires. Are there wear indicators/ depth of tread? On my cars I use a penny with the depth being edge of penny to lincoln's head. Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
828 Posts
tire wear indicator

I usually can tell that my ride becomes unstable. If the tire pressure is good and the suspension is fine, then I notice the tire treads are the piss poor, time for new tires.
If I recall correctly, Michelins have a tread wear indicator. But I think most manufactures state that replace the tire when the tread wears to 1/16".

Be one with the bike!!! :abduct:

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
405 Posts
jvreschar said:
How does one know when to replace tires. Are there wear indicators/ depth of tread? On my cars I use a penny with the depth being edge of penny to lincoln's head. Any advice would be appreciated
Most all mc tires have wear indicators. The Bridgestones that came on the bike did, as well as the Metz Z4s, Contis and the Avons I've been using and will probably stick with. The only ones that I've seen that don't (at least the usual type indicator) are the Metz Z6 rear tire, with it's slick center tread pattern. But I understand it has some type wear indicator too.
Look again it's probably there.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Look a bit to the left of the center of the picture, you can see two wear indicators at the middle of the tread. I replaced this tire, even though the indicator showed some wear left, because ther were cupped and made the bike wobble at 60 mph. The tire is the OEM Bridgestone 020 on my K RS.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tread Wear Indicators

A few months ago there was an excellent post on this, complete with pictures.

It showed how to find the tread wear indicators and what they look like.

The tires had the letters TWI stamped on the sidewall at several locations and once you found the TWI then the tread wear indicators are adjacent to them in various locations, some near the center and some near the edge of the tread.

·
Registered
405 Posts
rfespinosa said:
Look a bit to the left of the center of the picture, you can see two wear indicators at the middle of the tread. I replaced this tire, even though the indicator showed some wear left, because ther were cupped and made the bike wobble at 60 mph. The tire is the OEM Bridgestone 020 on my K RS.

Ron
Those front 020s are notorious, aren't they?.. Mine (original factory fitment) did the same thing. Really noticed it after my first long trip on the bike to VA, around on the BR Parkway south back to Florida. Never really felt it on the road though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
gcurtis said:
Those front 020s are notorious, aren't they?.. Mine (original factory fitment) did the same thing. Really noticed it after my first long trip on the bike to VA, around on the BR Parkway south back to Florida. Never really felt it on the road though.
I noticed mine soon after spirited riding on lots of curves. The cupping appears to be on the shoulder.

Ron

·
Registered
166 Posts
On a related note, Target (In the US) now sells a pencil type digital tire gauge with a tread depth measuring thingy (not sure what it's called) on the other end. It's about $7. I like the digital gauges because the ones I have all agree with each other (unlike the variety of pencil and dial types that I have.) I plan to measure tread depth periodically so I can see how fast they are wearing and I can use that to decide if I need to replace them before a big trip.

-hank

·
Registered
330 Posts
Tires...

gcurtis said:
Mine did the same thing. Badly "cupped" at 4600 miles. Whole front end would shake at speeds 50-70 (and higher of course). The dealer tried to tell me it was from too much air in them, I have a habit of checking ? twice a week, and only ride 3-4 days a week. NOT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts