BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how but my pneumatic rim guards are nigh on to shot.
Its sad because they are not worn to the point where I would normally change them but I want to avoid the nasty Spring shortage of rubber.

They are worn enough that they have twice allowed the traction control to be overwhelmed on wavy washboard variations in new asphalt. Quite the eye opener.

I think I have Michelin pilot 4 or possible 5. To dark to see but damn these are nice tires.

What is the state of the art for tires for next season?

·
Registered
2014 K1300S
104 Posts
I’ve never used the Michelin‘s, but many of my riding friends have and they swear by them. Most report the 4s last a bit longer than the 5s. I’m a pirelli fan. Specifically the Angel series. I run the Angel GTs with a standard front and “A” spec rear. The new Angel GT lls have a center rib on the front tire, I’ve seen a few reports of very minor squirming on rain grooves. Not wandering, just a bit of squirm. I’ve always been impressed with the traction and long life. Also, the Pirellis tend to run about $100+ less per set than the Michelin’s

·
Registered
2014 K1300S
104 Posts
I try to not spend more than $100/tire.
I rate tire in dollars per mile. I found the Pirelli Angel series to be a bargain compared to other tire, especially the sport and super sport rubber. If a set costs $200, but lasts half as long as a set that costs $300, which is less expensive? When I had bikes that used chains, I found that the lowest operating cost was to use steel sprockets and only the top of the line DID x-ring chain. I could get 40,000 miles out of them, while a top of the line Regina chain was done at 25,000 miles. The DID cost $200, The Regina, $150. Lowest price is not always lowest operating cost. Most expensive is not always the best either in performance or operating cost. This was when I was riding 20,000 miles a year. But I always look for the best deals when I could. When I was living in California I found a place in Arizona that was cheaper than anyone else for tires, the shipped DHL ground for $5 and I got them in one day and put them on myself.

Found the link:

Seems the GT 2s are about $45 more per tire than the Previous gen GT. So I’d go with them as they are fantastic and don’t have the center rib on the front that bothers some people on grooved concrete.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can totally respect the dollar pr mile logic of purchasing a tire. My personal opinion has always been that tires are one area i myself feel good about spending that extra.
The last couple of years (on my VFR 1200 / Tracer 9) I ran several sets of Bridgestone T32's and michelin road 6's.
These both perform really well in every aspect honestly. I took them through europe including some pegscraping on the Nürburgring and they still had life in them when i got home. I liked the bridgestone frontend better when hard on the brakes into corners (super stable + lots of roadfeel) however on the very edge i could not feel much of anything which is a bit unnerving. The Road 6's are just hyperstable but to me didnt feel very "sporty" VERY safe however. And again both will gladly let you scrap pegs even in cold conditions + are great in the wet. To me buying anything other than modern sportstouring tires for road use is very much a waste.
That said if you live near GREAT roads and dont care much for milage or wet/cold performance i am sure you can make a bargain on some of the cheaper sport options, and have just as much fun.

I tried the angel GT and GT II's a while back, cannot fault those either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went through Bridgestones, then Metzler, then followed the crowd and got a pair of Michelin Road Pilot 4 GT`s,

I chewed through a front tyre in no time at all, but to match the back, opted for another one.

The back lasted a long time and was finally defeated by a puncture.
Now running a Road 6 GT on back and 4 GT on front, and feels the same as before.

I will admit I do find the tyre a bit boring, but I do get a bit slack with tyre pressures so its probably me.

Michelins expensive, but a good safe option especially in UK weather conditions, and I`m impressed with the longevity.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've got a 2014 K1300s with about 29,000 miles on it. Always Pirelli Angel GT's after the initial set of Metzelers. Four sets of the first version, and I'm now on the GT2's. Just as stable in the turns, but indeed does wiggle a bit on the grooved pavement around Phoenix. The new sipes look to improve wet weather handling, but being in Phoenix I can't attest to that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
QuelleCrise?

I have had and have Michelin as I cannot purchase Metzeler Road Tech 01 SE's here in Thailand, for my K bike.

I have them on two other Kawasaki 1000 cc bikes and on a Honda %00X and they ride like a dream, stick like glue in the corners.

If you can purchase the 01 SE on sale, you won!

Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I bought my '08 K12S used, the dealer had installed Dunlop Qualifiers. Weren't that good. Then I bumped up to the Qualifier Q3's. Much better feel in corners. Then I went to the Q3 Plus. I liked the ride/performance but tire life was to short for extended riding. So a cpl weeks ago went to the Dunlop Roadsmart IV. Initially they feel good but to early to tell much else.

·
Registered
801 Posts
This bike just likes to eat tires like it's at the buffet.

I avoid tire stores, b/c the bike starts to salivate, and that can get onto the brake pads causing trouble. Sometimes if I can't avoid it I keep a little tissue so I can wipe the dribble away.

• Haha
Reactions: Sunde
1 - 19 of 19 Posts