BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you recommend for wet weather tires for GT, very wet I live in Hawaii we get rained on almost every ride even in Summer.

Part 2, Helmet looking for quieter helmet I hear wind whistling in mine too much even with face sheild closed, I have heard Shcuberth's are quiet but no dealer around here to try one on, and I have heard that with Shuberth that is a must as sizes seem to differ from other manufacters

any help will be most appreciated

Thanks,

HIBEEMER

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
Best wet weather tires I've ever used are the Michelin Pilot Powers. I have an Arai RX7RR4 helmet, and it is noisy, so I wouldn't get a top of the line Arai for "quietness". Ear plugs however, will make any helmet tolerable.

·
Registered
437 Posts
no question, best helmet is nolan

i bought the nolan 1000e flip helmet. u wont be sorry. the thing has won awards around the world. just make sure u fit one at a cycle shop before buying on web. have someone put their hand at base of helmet and check for movement. fit is KEY for good quite ride. i bought mine on the web for $179, no tax. wouldnt trade it for any of the $600 helmets. trust me.........btw, i use it for my kgt AND my '97 sportster without a windshield. the wind doesnt permeate on the sportster, even at 100mph.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Quiet helmets

Schuberths are not quiet. They are comfortable, convenient, and they have a built in sun visor. But they're not quiet. If you decide to buy one on the 'net without trying it on, be careful because they tend to run a little large.

·
Registered
130 Posts
chuckwilmot said:
Schuberths are not quiet. They are comfortable, convenient, and they have a built in sun visor. But they're not quiet. If you decide to buy one on the 'net without trying it on, be careful because they tend to run a little large.
I agree, my concept 1 is not very quiet. Although I hear that the new C2 is quieter and the full face S1 is very quiet. Don't buy a Schuberth without trying one on. The Schuberth will fit a round head best, so if your head is more oval it won't fit well at all. Arai makes models that fit both round and oval heads.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have P-Powers on the bike now, but I have not seen much rain with them. I have had three sets of P-Roads and you'll have a tough time finding a better rain tire that performs very well in the dry and also gives you lots of miles (6,000+ in my case).

·
Registered
486 Posts
chuckwilmot said:
If you decide to buy one on the 'net without trying it on, be careful because they tend to run a little large.
I bought a C2. It is considerably more quiet than the HJC flipup. Also is runs small. I wear a extra large HJC or Shoei. I needed an XXL Schuberth and it's still very tight.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My choices.......

I lean towards my Metzeler Z6's for the rain, even though my buddy who rides year round
(upstate NY) swears he likes the Z6's better for speed and cornering (K12RS) but, likes the Avon's in the rain. My helmet is a cheapy HJC (only because it is one that comes in a XXXL) CL-12. It too is noisy, but watertight. You may want to check out the "Laminar Lip"
for your windscreen, I have heard they help?.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Helmet/tires

I have the S1 schuberth and it is quiet . It is a tight fit and tends to be warmer than most . The sun visor is great and I am totally satisfied with it. I have run the Z6 Metzlers on my GT now on the 6th pair . For rain the rear can be a bitch if you need to stop immediately. I will switch to something that has tread in the center . If you ride hard the tires will wear quickly . I get about 5000 miles out of mine . New they are awesome for sticking in the twisties on dry land.

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
I like the Schuberth C2 a lot. That flip up sunshade is worth the price of admission. It's so easy to flip that thing up and down as you ride in and out of the shadows that I don't think that I'll want to buy another helmet without one. It seems quiet enough if I stand up on the pegs and put the helmet in undisturbed air, but I don't know if any helmet is going to be particularly quiet when the windscreen from my KRS dumps turbulent air right on my faceshield. FWIW, I find the Schuberth super comfy.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
I also recommend the Pilot Powers.....depending on your riding style, mileage can also be good.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Shoei helmet

I have a Shoei X-11, top of the line, very expensive ~$600. It is not quiet, I wear earplugs. It is very, very comfortable and has a great ventilation system. I put a Sun Blocker strip on the face shield that acts as a visor (barely visible in the attachment), it works great, the face shield is extremely easy to remove and install.

Even though it's noisy, it is aerodynamic with absolutely no turbulence or shake. Some one commented in a previous message that the noise is probably from being in the wind. This seems correct to me since my Shoei has noise but no turbulence.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I second the poster regarding the Nolan helmet. Besides the noise-factor you may also want to consider comfort, and the Nolan IS comfy. I have had no experience with the Shubert C2, but I had the original Concept helmet and sold it after 1 week because I found it extremely uncomfortable (probably due in part to the size/shape of my mellon).
As for tires anyone care to commend on the Continental RoadAttack ?

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
273 Posts
1200GTosprey said:
I lean towards my Metzeler Z6's for the rain, even though my buddy who rides year round
(upstate NY) swears he likes the Z6's better for speed and cornering (K12RS) but, likes the Avon's in the rain. My helmet is a cheapy HJC (only because it is one that comes in a XXXL) CL-12. It too is noisy, but watertight. You may want to check out the "Laminar Lip"
for your windscreen, I have heard they help?.

My laminar lip reduced the wind noise so much that I initially thought that something was wrong with the engine (I could suddenly hear it).

Btw - I don't like my Z6 when it rains - The rear has no tread in the middle and lack grip. maybe it's just me (mental). In dry weather they are great !!

/Michael (K12GT)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts