BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to purchasing my '06 GT, I had a new set of Z6's installed on my then '04 RT.
Trouble was, the dealers gouged and scratched the rear rim, so badly, he had to replace it.
I also live in a town of 30,000 folks and am some distance from a dealer.

I am coming up on needing to replace the rubber om my GT, and, as I told my mortician friend; "you need to make a box big enough for me AND the bike"!

With that in mind, ( I'm keeping this bike forever) are there some recommendations for the do-it-yourselfer for a tire changing machine and balancer you guys can suggest ???

Also, I am thinking of a ME -880 for the rear and a Z6 on the front for the new rubber. Has anyone tried this combo ???
Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are several models of tire changing equipment to choose from. You may want to do a search on bmwsporttouring.com as they are discussed there often.

It is not recommended to mix the Z6 with any other tire as they are designed to work together. The front treads water, the rear does not because of the tread design.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Coates 220 is OK, as long as you duct tape it along with using the plastic protectors. There is also the No Mar which is cheaper along with an upgrade kit for the 220.

I find that as long as you are careful and have done it a couple times and keep the rim clamped down carefully and tight, you will be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
GTdavey said:
Prior to purchasing my '06 GT, I had a new set of Z6's installed on my then '04 RT.
Trouble was, the dealers gouged and scratched the rear rim, so badly, he had to replace it.
I also live in a town of 30,000 folks and am some distance from a dealer.

I am coming up on needing to replace the rubber om my GT, and, as I told my mortician friend; "you need to make a box big enough for me AND the bike"!

With that in mind, ( I'm keeping this bike forever) are there some recommendations for the do-it-yourselfer for a tire changing machine and balancer you guys can suggest ???

Also, I am thinking of a ME -880 for the rear and a Z6 on the front for the new rubber. Has anyone tried this combo ???
Thanks.
Try nomartirechanger.com
Dave in Reno

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
How many of you change/balance your own tires ???

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
philspace said:
I find that as long as you are careful and have done it a couple times and keep the rim clamped down carefully and tight, you will be fine.
I find that after a dozen or two tire changes, ya don't GAF if your rims have a little scratch or two :D

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
The Ft Worth group changes tires all the time with their Harbor Freight setup

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
GTdavey said:
Thanks guys.
How many of you change/balance your own tires ???
Metzeler has a static wheel balancer. I've watched Bonsai and DPSCOTT balance many a wheel using that magical (cheap) device. Along with the Harbor Freight tire changer, I think that unit has paid for itself over and over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try googling wicko industries. i have one of these and it is a bit ,more than the harbor freight but also more substantial. Also comes with delrin pieces for the dismount and mounting ends so as not to mar. It still takes some practice and there is a learning curve to be climbed before it is stress free but overswall very worth while to be able to change tires when it is convenient for you. especially if you do lots of track days like me. i also go t some rim protectors when i had carbon fiber wheels but find I dont need them for regular wheels

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have the Harbor Freight, with the rim holders coated with vinyl (dip it in) and a Mojo lever ....this lever ROCKS for no marring. RU Glyde lubricant (gotta use! Get it from Napa). And, Marc Parnes balancer. I change all our bike tires so I can do it right, buy tires from the internet, and keep the bike away from the stealership as much as possible ($$$).
Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts