BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a ride in to Russell the end of April from So. Idaho.
I really want to try a set of the new Avon 55/56 tires as I am @ about 3,500 mi. on the original B-stones now. ( round trip will about 1300 mi.)

Question is: should I go to a BMW dealer like "Sierra" thats kinda on the way or go to one of several Avon dealers close to Russell ???

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
Unless you've been extremely hard on your current tires, I would think
you'd have enough tread left to make the trip on them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shook sez said:
Unless you've been extremely hard on your current tires, I would think
you'd have enough tread left to make the trip on them.
Well, the front's "look" ok, but are starting to cup a little.
The rear is looking ok and I admit I've run them but I'm not sure if I would describe it as hard.

You think 5,000 out of the BT's is doable tho huh ?
Guess I was thinking that halfway, (the trip back) would be a good change point, but wasn't sure if folks were having any bad experiences with a non BMW shop for tire changes while on the road.???

·
Registered
505 Posts
GTdavey said:
I am doing a ride in to Russell the end of April from So. Idaho.
I really want to try a set of the new Avon 55/56 tires as I am @ about 3,500 mi. on the original B-stones now. ( round trip will about 1300 mi.)

Question is: should I go to a BMW dealer like "Sierra" thats kinda on the way or go to one of several Avon dealers close to Russell ???
I stopped at Sierra when I had a flat during a trip. They are a great dealer and got me in and out quickly, but they didn't have a large selection of tires at the time. So if you plan a tire stop there, you may want to check with them in advance to be sure they have what you want.

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
GTdavey said:
Well, the front's "look" ok, but are starting to cup a little.
The rear is looking ok and I admit I've run them but I'm not sure if I would describe it as hard.

You think 5,000 out of the BT's is doable tho huh ?
Guess I was thinking that halfway, (the trip back) would be a good change point, but wasn't sure if folks were having any bad experiences with a non BMW shop for tire changes while on the road.???
I would evaluate at Russell. IF you need shoes, then call Sierra and let 'em know you're coming.

If I changed tires every time my front Stones cupped, I'd be flat broke. They cup at 1,500 miles on the LT. Sure they rumble in the parking lot and lolly-gagging around town, but they stick like glue when pushed. I toss them when I change the rear at 4-6,000. The lower number is if I expect weather, the higher if I expect to stay dry.

Other experienced riders and any dealer tend to be a lot more conservative with swapping out tires.

Disclaimer: The above is just my opinion worth every bit of what you're paying for it.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Hey Billy,

You really need to try an Avon on the front of that LT. Sticks as good as the BT020, doesn't cup until very near the end, and lasts twice as long as a rear BT020. That is, if you can still get radial 020's for the LT rear.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
GTdavey said:
The only concern for a non-BMW shop is if they have the adapters to balance the tires correctly. The front shouldn't be too hard, but that big ol' hole in the rear rim might be a bit tricky.

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
Meese said:
Hey Billy,

You really need to try an Avon on the front of that LT. Sticks as good as the BT020, doesn't cup until very near the end, and lasts twice as long as a rear BT020. That is, if you can still get radial 020's for the LT rear.
I know, Ken. I think of you and the configuration you recommend every time I reply to a tire thread. I'm just to lazy to explain the rational for it. Unfortunately, I haven't been putting enough miles on the LT to burn up the Stones yet to personally test them out. Soon though and I do trust your judgement on them and suggest others do as well. I will be using your recommendation on the Avon/Stone combo next set of shoes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have a date setup with Sierra for a new set of the Avon "Storms" on my return flight from Russell.
Yeah, I'm gonna pay about 75 samollion's more than if I went to my dealer, but I won't be worrying about calling long distance to my boss saying I got stranded. That has to be worht something right ?

Thanks for the input/output.

New Russell seat and new rubber, hell I might forget where Idaho is on th return journey :dance:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts